Biltong

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
The shop is the next village is owned/ run by South Africans and there's a whole shelf load of Biltong - all different sorts :lol:
Hard, soft, hot chilli, spicey - all sorts

Bought some yesterday - it's all gone now though :cry:

Mark

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
I prefer biltong made of venison. It's a lot better than the stuff made of beef. Best of all is biltong made of elephant :shock: ! One elephant will give you enough biltong for a big party.
When I grew up and lived in southern Africa we used to buy lots of elephant biltong in the Kruger Natl. Park. This was the only place we could get it as it was processed from culled elephants shot in the national park, and was illegal to sell anywhere else.
I havent tasted elephant biltong for the past several years, but any biltong made from gameanimals like kudu, impala, eland etc is good stuff too :biggthump .
We even used to make our own biltong. I think that I have some of our old recipies , and if anyone is interested I can try to put them up here.
GJ

Tvividr

Nomad
Jan 13, 2004
Norway
www.gjknives.com
Here we go....... (takes ages to read though :roll: )

Biltong is best made from venison (at least that is my personal opinion), but you can also use beef, ostrich etc. In Africa we used to make biltong during the colder and dry months in the hunting season.
The tender cuts of meat, such as fillet, rump and sirloin should be used. Only good meat produces good biltong !

The following recipe is for approximately 25 kg of meat.
1,25 kg of good quality fine salt.
250 ml (1 cup) of brown sugar .
50 ml (4 tablespoons) bicarbonate of soda.
20 ml (4 teaspoons) saltpetre (optional).
25 ml (2 tablespoons) pepper.
100 gram coarsely ground coriander (or according to taste).
Vinegar (natural cider vinegars – not the synthetic stuff).

Note: Fine salt is better than coarse since it penetrates better into the meat. The sugar will keep the biltong somewhat moist, and the bicarbonate of soda makes the meat tender.

After the animal has been skinned and the meat has cooled, cut along the natural dividing lines of muscle with a sharp knife. Cut down the length or grain of the muscles. Cut these pieces into strips 2-5 cm thick (it is important that the pieces are so thin that it will dry relatively fast, instead of turning bad. Here in Europe I would not cut too thick). If possible you can leave some fat on each strip (personally I prefer as little pure fat as possible).
The strips are cut along the grain, and when dry you cut thin flakes across the grain as you eat.

Mix the salt, sugar, bicarbonate of soda, saltpetre and coriander together, and rub the mixture into the meat strips by hand. The coriander should be prepared just before use because its flavour deteriorates quickly. The preparation is done by roasting the coriander seeds in a heavy-bottomed frying pan. Stir carefully so that you do not burn the seeds. Then crush on a smooth surface or in a mortar.

Layer the meat, largest pieces at the bottom, in a container (wooden, earthenware, plastic or enamel or whatever). If possible never use iron or metal because the salt may react with it. Sprinkle a little vinegar in the bottom (just enough to wet the surface), and then sprinkle with the dry mixture of salt, pepper and coriander etc. Layer the meat to form a solid layer, and sprinkle each layer of meat with vinegar (wet it thoroughly, but don’t drown it !) – followed by the mixture of salt, pepper and coriander etc. It is important to sprinkle with vinegar first, otherwise you will wash off the salt and spices and the distribution of spices will not be even.
Leave in a cool place for 12 – 48 hours, depending on how thick the meat slices are and how salty you want the finished biltong to be. If the meat is cut quite thin, it will absorb the salt quickly, so you may decide to leave for only 6-8 hours depending on taste.
The salt is the trickiest part. Over-salted biltong is unpleasant, but under-salted biltong is probably more so, and may also go rotten. If in doubt, rather err on the side of too much salt than too little, as biltong is after all supposed to be a salty snack
Remember that fatty meat absorbs salt more slowly. Also remember that biltong will become more salty in proportion to the progressive loss of moisture when drying.

Just before hanging the slices to dry, you dip them quickly in a mixture of 500 ml vinegar and 5 liters of boiling water. This will prevent an accumulation of salt on the outside of the meat, and also makes it somewhat shiny and dark.
Dry the pieces by hanging them up on S-shaped hooks or pieces of string about 5 cm apart. The air must be able to circulate freely around them. Leave in a cool, dry and well ventilated space (protected from flies and dust) for 2 to 3 weeks depending on how tender the meat is. A fine linked chain is ideal to prevent the biltong from slipping together – you just hook the S-hooks in the chain links (another way is to tie a knot on the main line between each piece of biltong = more work. I like the chain !)

When biltong is made in the bush, you can hang the meatstrips from large rafters and have a couple of smouldering fires below. The fires will produce smoke to keep the flies away, and will also give the biltong a slightly smoked flavour (some like it, some don’t).
Here in humid Europe I would suggest that biltong should be dried in a drying chamber.
Biltong can be stored in a cool and dry place, but if you make large amounts of it here in northern Europe I think that it is best to freeze it. When freezing it is best to only thaw enough biltong for immediate use.

Finally! Apart from being the world’s finest finger-snack, biltong goes well with certain other things. Finely shaved it makes a great addition in salads (both fresh green and noodle salads). With lettuce still soft and tender biltong makes for a great sandwich – same thing with biltong, butter and a quality fresh bread !!
I haven’t tried the following, but from friends I hear that biltong with mild cheese is good too, and you can even use it for pizza.

…… man, I’m getting hungry ! See ya later !

L

Lee

cool, I will give it a go too, I love biltong. :p

tell me how yours go Ed!!

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Its the best stuff for *long* walks, it lasts very long and even if it goes mouldy, you just cut the mould off and its fine. If there are any more Cardiff-ians here (andrew), there is a delicatessan (?) in town called Wally's, i play cricket with the owner in summer he sells it. But it is very dry as it was made in the south african sun. I prefer it dry, but its like putting canada dry in whiskey, youre meant to have it moist!

Confused yet?

Cheers,

Jake

Apr 12, 2004
Leeds, England
There's a company in North Yorkshire called Bare Earth that makes the most excellent Beef Biltong with garlic or chilli or - er - I forget the other one. Anyway it's very tasty stuff - ideal for munching on a long treck.

Their website's at www.bare-earth.co.uk and you can order it online. :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE