Billy Can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
Just what we have been waiting for, Zebra billys cheaper than Rays.

RM's prices are as follows:- 12cm £24.00, 14cm £26.00, 16cm £28.00.

Survival schools prices :- 10cm £14.95, 12cm £16.99, 14cm £19.95, 16cm £21.95.

They also have a new folding pocket cooker for £19.99, I love it and cant wait to order one. All of these prices are including P&P. :p

http://www.survivalschool.co.uk/

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
Thanks chopper. Good find. I've been on the site loads of times but never noticed them.
Does anyone know the weights of any of the zebra billy's? I am espessially interested in the 10cm one as I have been looking for a small, lightweight pot that can be suspended (i.e a billy :roll:) Would this do?
I know that the TK max billy DIY tutorial is coming soon and I can't wait :-D.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
The weights are on the Ray mears site...

12cm = 0.550kg
14cm = 0.750kg
16cm = 0.950kg

They look pretty heavy to me (that 16cm can is the same weight as a GrannyB SFA), especially when compared to the Tatonka kettle mentioned earlier (0.335kg combined weight for a 13.5cm pot and a frying pan.).

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Just been to TK Max and they have 2 sorts, One stainless steel biscuit barrel with a see thru lid in stainless for £3.99 a pop or there is another smaller container again with a see through top for £5.99 They are both similar in shape but the biscuit barrell one is slightly larger (probably about 3.5 ltrs capacity. Which one is the one worth having ?? :shock:

MarkG

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 4, 2004
Wednesbury, West Mids
Went to TK-Max last night and got this SS Can.

image_00138.jpg

The steel was really difficult to drill so it should be very long lasting. Added some Wire coat hanger and set it on fire :yikes:

image_00147.jpg

For 3 squid it seems to be really good value and should last for a long time. Oh and it's got quite a tight fitting lid that would be difficult to open when hot, which is why it's just balanced on top.

The lid is quite large and would make a good dish / cup or used in the embers for smaller stuff or as a very mini wok :eek:):

Sorry for the poor photo's... camera phone...

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Oh and it's got quite a tight fitting lid that would be difficult to open when hot, which is why it's just balanced on top.
Try putting the lid on upside down ;-) thats what I do.... even used it like this with the upturned lid for making chocolate rice-crispie cakes :)

Ed

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
Markg,

can you give us the dimensions and capacity of your billy, I recently got a couple of SS biscuit barrels and tea and coffee caddys from Poundstretcher for a fiver they were all at half price or less. With a some minor modifications they make great billys.

Cheers

JFW

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I've just made it to tenderfoot yeeha.

Markg thanks for the assist - I forgot to mention that I like the look of this billy and for a few quid you can't really go wrong, I'll need to get one.

JFW

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I saw another thread where a smaller inner tray from a zebra billy was used in conjunction with a large billy to make an oven. Exellent idea, but I don't have another billy to use as the inner shelf. I tried the pans from my trangia and found that the inner pan in the two pan set fits very snugly into a 14 cm billy, and the lid is also a very snug fit. This gives the option to cook two things at once in vaster quantities, the little tray that comes with the zebra is a tad on the shallow side.

Mine is on the cooker at the moment with mixed beans in the trangia pan and rice in the bottom, the sausages are under the grill and it's cowboy food for dinner tonight. What's that Mungo, the sausages are burning? Right, I'm off!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Viking said:
I can higky recommend the swedish mess kit It´s cheap and durable. Gere in sweden you can buy them for less than £3 and if you want he hole kit it cost about £8 and it comes in both stainless and aluminium.

A pictue of a comple mess tin

s_enmanskok.jpg

What make and where did you get the green cup at the bottom of the picture, please?

I have been after something like that since coming accross an old copy of Survival Weaponary and techniques.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE