Billy Can

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
I'm on the hunt for a decent Billy now.

Saw these on RayMears.com and they look great, just wondering if there's anywhere else / any alternatives that people have seen or used?

Zebra 14cm Billy
(Can't seem to find this one anywhere else, sure it's about though)

I was thinking of getting the "Swedish Mess Kit" like Raz is going to use to make his Hobo Stove.. about £8.50
(good bargain for a quid Raz :) )

Any Ideas?

Cheers :)
Carlo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
If memory of my travels serves me correct... zebra stainless steel cookware is from thailand.... they do billy cans... not sure if they are the same company as the ones on Rays site.....

The swedish mess tins are ok, but mine are aluminium..... I prefer stainless steel.

I have a Tatonka Kettle - 1.0 Litre on order from http://wiggle.co.uk/ from their cookware section.... have a look, they have quite a alot of good cooking pots.

:-D
Ed

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Cheers Ed,

Looks pretty good that, Nice price too.
Tatonka Kettle
Only thing is that handle looks a bit "chunky", but that's probably a good thing.
You'll have to give us all a review when this comes down :)

You're probably right about the Zebra ones coming from Thailand, can't seem to find them anywhere on any UK online shops.

Cheers :)
Carlo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Only thing is that handle looks a bit "chunky", but that's probably a good thing.

Yep... your right... The handle is chunky (and not a thin wire type) as it locks in place which makes it easier when pouring.... :wink:

Ed

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
I can higky recommend the swedish mess kit It´s cheap and durable. Gere in sweden you can buy them for less than £3 and if you want he hole kit it cost about £8 and it comes in both stainless and aluminium.

A pictue of a comple mess tin

s_enmanskok.jpg

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Zebra: definitely from Thailand. These have a very similar handle to the Tatonka, by the way. The only places I have seen wire handle billies in any quantity are America and Australia, but then again it's not a mammoth task to fit one yourself. Personally I'm very happy with the Tatonka, which also has a frying pan for a lid. The locking feature on the handle is very useful when pouring.

Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 31, 2003
If you are up for a home made alternative, you can buy stainless steel coffee/tea/sugar pots at TK-MAX for abour £3, then its just a matter of fitting them out with hangers and a handle for the lid.
:-D

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Cheers for all the help fellas,
looks like i'll be going for one of those Tatonka's off Wiggle.

Already emailled them to make sure they're going to take the VAT off for me, yum yum :)

::Update::
"Unfortunatly we cannot deduct VAT as we are not setup for this at our end."
Bah! have to find it somewhere else...
or I might have to break my "not going to order from anywhere online unless the remove VAT for me" rule! :)

Cheers
Carlo

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Another thing to consider.

Then using/buying cookware try to steer clear of Alumium as this is linked with Altshiemers disease. Also another down side of Ali is it can be burnt through.

Stainless steel should always be your first chioce as it is safer and more hygienic as well as being more robust. Top tip for billy cans - TK Max stainless steel coffee cans @ £5 all you need to is attach a handle.

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Given in!
Can't find it anywhere else, so taken the plunge and got a 1.6 from Wiggle..
Still cheaper than the Zebra one, so can't complain.

Thanks for all the help guys :)
(it better be good!, grrr)

Cheers ;)
Carlo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
My Tatonka Kettle turned up this morning... First impressions are very good. Well made and a realy good handle on the pan lid (which surprised me). I'll let you know more when I've taken it out and given it a good use.

Ed

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Nice to see yours has turned up.
Did you order it on Oct 6th when you posted? that's a fair few days..

Was worrying about mine, but i ordered it on the 9th so i guess i've got a few days to go then :(

Glad you still think it's good now you've got it, re-assured :)

cheers
Carlo

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
They have only just got them back in stock.... there is a backlog aswell.. but should only be a few days till yours comes through.
It seems a popular item... I can see why.

Ed

ally

Forager
Oct 15, 2003
lincoln
I use both the swedish army cook set mentioned here and the swedish army 'volcano flask' pictured here: http://www.allthingsmilitary.co.uk/ishop/800/shopscr1174.html

you get a small water bottle, cup and stove/holder, very useful and flexible bit of kit, but remember to remove the cork before you start to boil the water in the flask, mine flew off into the undergrowth and scared the s^%$ out of me....

can cook with the cup in the stove or just warm on the handle etc....

no fuel need either, just ram it full of twigs etc

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
wow i just found this thread so i signed up, would seem there are a number of us on the same search, i was wondering if you were includeing duthch ovens in this catogry, as i have a few links for them, though they are cast iron and heavy i would guess??

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Actualy I wouldn't mind a cast iron dutch oven.... please post the link :) ummmm whole rabbit in a stew. As for the weight being cast iron, probably not the best thing for us light-weighters but great for camping or just in the back garden.
oh... and welcome to BCUK, glad you joined up and I hope you find something of interest to keep you here.

:)
Ed

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Coleman makes a great cookset called the Outfitter with a nice set of nested billies. Cost can be really reasonable if you shop around. I think I bought the whole set for around $40 here in the states, IIRC. Probably $60 is closer to the normal price. Mears used/uses? the same kit. It's pictured in his book "The Outdoor Survival Handbook" on p. 17. I used it all last summer and it was excellent.

tak_5.jpg

i514872hz02.jpg

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE