Billy Can Problems a thing of the past.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Stamp

Forager
Aug 26, 2010
Swindon
Hi all,

I have found a fix for the pouring problems experienced with use of the Zebra Billy Can, I think I have solved the problem of not being able to pour very well from them. Its not perfect, the catch sticks out a little too far which could damage your bag but its a start and hopefully it will spur on others to improve on the design. Take a look and let me know what you think.

[video=youtube;YanCuS1JHus]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YanCuS1JHus[/video]

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
If Zebra ever made a pot with bail and butterfly handles they'd clean up.

Hog On Ice

Nomad
Oct 19, 2012
Virginia, USA
I think I'll stick with using a bandana - fold a bandana 4 times giving 16 layers of cloth and it works well protecting the hand from the hot pot - some approaches - 1. fold the bandana square and use it to grip the top edge of the pot to pour the hot water; 2. fold bandana square and use to tip pot from the bottom while holding pot up with the handle; 3. depending on the diameter of the pot it is possible to fold the bandana into a long narrow strip - hold the tips of the strip between index and middle fingers of each hand - wrap strip up and around the pot and push thumbs against strip to form a stable three point hold on the pot - lift and pour

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great idea. I normally take the pot out of the fire with a leather glove, then hold it where the handle joins the pot and pour that way

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Thats a great idea that! :)

Shewie, i also love the forked stick idea for when you're actually out, have never seen that before

N

Nomad

Great little mod, Stamp. I especially like the idea of keeping the handle vertical and away from the fire.

Permit me to present the MkII version...

attachment.php

The MkII resolves the issue with the spikey bits sticking out and catching on the bag. Instead, the ends of the wire go into the little holes at the side. Here, it's at its lowest point - this is what would stick out if it was in the down position. Might catch a bit on a tight stuff sack, but no snagging.

attachment.php

Here's the lock in the up position. There is no friction here, just gravity - a little tilt of the billy will result in the lock swinging back down.

attachment.php

The bail on its way up. The bail can come up easily whether the lock is up or down. If the lock is down, the bail just lifts it into the up position as it passes.

attachment.php

Now the bail is fully vertical and the lock has fallen into the locked position. It doesn't always do this, but, as above, a little tilt of the billy will move it over. In fact, when locked, a little tilt the other way will unlock it.

attachment.php

Here it is with the everything lying horizontal. Just tried it with the billy full of water, and it held just fine. Once there's weight on it with the bail pressing against the lock, the tilt-to-lock and tilt-to-unlock doesn't happen - it stays locked.

Design notes...

The short bits need to be sized so that the bail can pass easily when the lock is in the up position. At the same time, they need to be long enough to get the 'corners' to protrude past the bail to get the locking action to work. To get the best of both these, don't make it too high (too long from the holes it goes into, to where it bends at the short bits). In the above, the 'cross member' bit just fits under the rolled edge on the rim of the billy, and that helps to maximise how much the corners protrude when locked.

The bits inside the holes are about 3mm long, and pliers were needed to ease the second end past the side of the the top-hat section to the hole.

If you fit two on a billy, you will lose the tilt-to-lock and tilt-to-unlock action, because each tilt will try to lock one side while trying to unlock the other side. On the other hand, because it can unlock with a little tilt, the billy should not be set in a fire with a bit of tilt in the wrong direction - the handle won't stay up, and you'll be reaching for a stick to sort things out. If you require manual intervention to unlock, fit two.

The wire is standard-issue coat hanger, and it's a 10cm Zebra.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE