Billhooks & Hatchets ???

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
as I sold all of my billhooks recently can someone with a few decent ones in varying styles/shapes who also has a few decent axes in differing sizes/shapes do an 'in the woods' comparison please!?

do the usually axe jobs and the usual hook jobs and have a good feel for the two in eachothers special tasks, I feel my opinion may be somewhat biased but not entirely untrue. So if anyone would like to do a 'billhook vs axe' walkthrough I think it would be great!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
for the longest time when I was hedging I couldn't get to grips with the bill hook and preferred a hatchet, then one day something clicked and the billhook suddenly made sense. For general "country pursuits" it really is the best tool. Not just hedging, I use it now for snedding, pointing stakes, whatever.

Hugo

Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Elen, with your arthritic hands a bill hook would feel very heavy as there is a large area of steel and a small amount of wooden handle, no matter if it was a small 8 inch size it would still be too heavy.
If you want to do some wood craft work or have a bit of a chop at something in the garden a small hatchet would be, in my opinion, much easier and more comfortable to use.
You can choke up on a hatchet (grip the handle just behind the axe head) this makes it feel less heavy when using it.
No need to spend lots of money on a named brand axe, there are some nice old style axes around that would suit your needs for under twenty pounds, as long as it is sharp.
@Samon. How are you getting on with that bill hook I sold you Samon mate.

Elen Sentier

Guys, tthank you. Lots to read and think over there, which I will now do. There's no rush for me as I'm not allowed to do work until mid-Jan because of the feet. A thought ... if them as is going to Glencoe in Feb were able to bring their choppers I could have a proper look and see them in action maybe ???

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Ta Dave ... see I don't even know how to ask the questions :lmao:

Right - firewood and a bit of carving stand out, so it looks like a small axe. Other things like sorting our hedges can come later.

In that case I would definately suggest a small axe. No more than 500g in weight for you and find a handle that fits your hand. That way you won't need to grip too hard to hold onto it whilst you use it ;) If you were closer I would suggest coming by my workshop and try some out (I've several dozen with different head shapes and weights and different shape handles).

Concentrate on an axe for the carving aspect, so not a long handle (not small forest axe length, but more hatchet length). You will find it easier to carve with a short (not kuban hatchet short though) handle and if you need to split wood then it will do that too. If you need to split larger pieces of wood then you can still use the hatcet, just bury it int the wood and hit it with a maul or big stick

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Elen, with your arthritic hands a bill hook would feel very heavy as there is a large area of steel and a small amount of wooden handle, no matter if it was a small 8 inch size it would still be too heavy.
If you want to do some wood craft work or have a bit of a chop at something in the garden a small hatchet would be, in my opinion, much easier and more comfortable to use.
You can choke up on a hatchet (grip the handle just behind the axe head) this makes it feel less heavy when using it.
No need to spend lots of money on a named brand axe, there are some nice old style axes around that would suit your needs for under twenty pounds, as long as it is sharp.
@Samon. How are you getting on with that bill hook I sold you Samon mate.

It's the single best billhook I've owned or used! haha, also the only billhook to have an actual sharp edge! once I sharpened it myself I could shave my arm with it, something I didn't think possible as every other one I've used was blunt and useless. I used it to limb a row of plumb and elder trees before I dropped them, it worked pretty well but due to the single beveled grind I found it and the lack of room I worked in a little impractical/short&heavy so I switched to my light weight tomahawk.

I think I gave it to a friend of mine when I sold my others on, I don't think he uses it much but I guess as it makes a nice thing to pass down! :)

TurboGirl

Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
....I've got a replacement titanium right shoulder....the knees are now titanium replacements... :)
You're quite the bionic woman, Elen!

I'm getting my head around my billhook but if I miss a full power stroke with it, it tends to pull me 180 degrees before I can put the brakes on that mass o' metal and I'm a big powerful lass:) so I tend to use a bigger axe for hard hitting jobs.... but it's my beloved tool of choice for the power and precision you can get into a multitude of different uses. For carving and light work, I bought a cold steel strip-downable Trail Hawk and modded it as per the long running thread. Its light, packs easy and removing the head makes it ever so versatile for carving :) Leaving the handle long gives me the option of a good sweep with it so it's a useful chopper still.

Elen Sentier

You're quite the bionic woman, Elen!l.

Daren't go through an American airport, they might think I was full of bombs! My US friends always tease me about it. And my doc says I'll need a diagram of where all the bits are if I want to travel outside of Britain !!!

Ta for the tips about the swing and going A-over-T with the thing - can't afford to do that or I'll have all these surgeons moaning at me. I have soooo much to read and think about! Will add Trail Hawk thread to the list of bedtime reading :)

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Elen, for a small axe with light weight but a good solid head, have a look at the fiskars X5 hatchet. I wasn't sure about it on first seeing it, but it is now my preferred axe. It packs small and light, but handles well and I can carve with it and split wood, and yet it punches above its weight in chopping tasks too.

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Handle shape is very important. The swelling and slight curve at the end of a fawn's foot hatchet handle can help you to keep a hold without having to squeeze too tightly. Also have a look at octagonal handles. They look like they would be uncomfortable to hold but the corners help to stop the handle twisting from your grip if you are cutting at an angle.

Z

Not all billhooks are big or heavy - smaller spar hooks have a 6" or 7" blade - billhooks start at 8" and go up to 12" - all have similar sized handle, either round or caulked, depending upon pattern (of which there are many). The US Woodman's Pal has a hand guard, which may help if you have arthritic hands, but Italian 'roncole' have a partial hand guard, and can be bought for about 1/3 to 1/2 of the cost... If you want a heavier tool the Pontypool pattern, also adopted as the UK military pattern, has a thickened nose.... In France very small billhooks ('serpettes') start at about 1.5" (for harvesting grapes) up to 6" (for pruning vines). For more info see my website www.billhooks.co.uk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE