Billhook sharpened on one side only, why?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've just purchased an Elwell hook via ebay. The hook is only ground on one side (convex) and is flat on t'other side. Was this done for ease of manufacture or is there a valid reason for this type of grind?

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
are you sure its original and hasnt been modded by someone at some point?

No, it is in 'as new' condition.

IMG_0048.JPG

IMG_0049.JPG

IMG_0050.JPG

Last edited:

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
could be for the type of cut you would use it for when laying a hedge?a little confused by your description though( my fault not yours) is it like a chisel in it profile?

WolfCub

Forager
Aug 6, 2008
Bucks
It's meant to be like that. designed so a right handed hedger' can get a very fine precise final cut in to lay the pleach over.

I was given one a while back by an old boy who, after many years useing it himself, didn't want it to go to waste. Unfortunately i'm left handed and though I can lay either way wouldn't really get the very best out of it.
I passed it on to another hedger who would.

Please don't be tempted to regrind it.:nono::)

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
It's made so you get a very penetrating cut, it drives itself in the branch so it can be bent/snapped easier than a long downward cut. I ground it on my machete for that reason.

AK1.jpg

woodgrain

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 24, 2010
Gone
You can still buy Morris of Dunsford billhooks and request them to be ground on one side only. The descriptions given above about the nature of the cut sound spot on and they are ground thus to a give similar method of use as a side axe i.e the edge can make contact with the stem at at a much finer angle, giving more control. Some folk use billhooks for spoon carving (see Eric Roger's book) and this type of grind would certainly help. I have a Knighton pattern Morris hook ground this way but I still prefer a hatchet or axe for carving.

Hope it helps.

Graeme

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
We used to occasionally get large blades ground like that for "Blazing" trees (single vertical chop to remove bark) when assessing standing timber for auction sales. That way they didn't dig in if your chop was off.
I prefered my normal billhook or machette.
GB.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE