Billhook gallery!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think it would be great to have a gallery specifically dedicated to billhooks!

It'll be a great way to display the many many differeing types and styles out there and a good starting point for newcomers and googlers to hear a few things about why we use and like them.

So, I'll start..

My stick tang Elwell, very heavy but a great chopper!

And my latest, a socketed Cornelius and whitehouse..

Now let's see yours! :)

jondavy

Oct 31, 2007
In a field (Worcestershire)
20130606_172009.jpg

Far right is my Brades 198 9" which is great for just about everthing, next to is the sheath that I recently made for it.
Left is a new addition, an Elwell 4583 10".
Both were owned by family members and discovered when clearing out sheds.

Jon.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Not managed to find one yet, but I do want one :). Carboot will come up trumps eventually.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Here is my collection,
1, Morris spar hook
2, C Whitehouse sparhook
3, Staniforth Severquick
4, Unknown 8 1/2'' Suffolk patern
5, Elwell 8'' Suffolk
6, Elwell 9'' Suffolk (1947 broad head arrow War Dept)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
I've got the staniforths one too! I've never seen another one before! A really brilliant tool, only just started realising the potential of a billhook!

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
Here's mine a Cornelius Whitehouse dated 1914, I did a bit of research a little while ago and believe it might be a trench billhook!

Billhook.jpg

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
What amazing old tools. I'd give them house room any day!! But I'm curious about the logic behind the blade shape. (I've never used one.) Essentially it does the opposite of a Kukri machette towards the end of the blade - and we all know what one of those can do. So can someone explain to the uninitiated - how these things do their job? Many thanks in advance.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
They are heavy, short and have hooked ends usually. They are made for hedge laying, and are good for working in the woods - like a heavy machete/long axe.

They blades are single bevel ground, and allow for side cuts to do the hedge laying and the hook allows for removing other branches and general purpose pulling/cutting.

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Thanks Samon - Think I need to see a vid of someone using these in the woods E.g. hedge laying etc. That was a great skip find and restoration! Don't you just love finding gems in skips?
Can you give me 3 or 4 most notable makers of these billhooks? Would this tool replace say......... a medium size axe?

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Would this tool replace say......... a medium size axe?

seeing as cutting down trees in our limited woodland is a wasteful thing to do I'd say yes, it can replace a medium axe quite nicely.

It can split easily, cut well and be used to clear brush like a machete. Infact, alot of people prefer them over an axe, but I'm still unsure.. however that is just my taste.

My billhook is actually up for swaps atm bladeophile, so if you're interetsed in getting a good one let me know! Socketed handles are stronger, and can be rehandled easily! ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE