Billhook blade mask - first attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Well I decided to try my hand at leatherwork and fancied putting some protection on the lethally sharp edge of my Elwell Hertford Billhook.
2013-03-11 20.16.00.jpg
After a lot of deliberation and a bit of experimentation with natural dyes I decided to go natural and stick with beeswax for the cover and walnut oil on the flexing parts of the straps
2013-03-13 20.48.42.jpg 2013-03-13 20.49.03.jpg
Next project I may try some more decorative tooling but I'm still not sure about the dying thing.

P.S. this is the axe that caused my quote and left me with a lovely neat scar on the back of my off hand, but I hold no ill will, it's not the tools fault that I am a muppet

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
nice, when you were designing it did you think about covering the point? I need to make a cover for my fiskars x3 so it's something I need to think about.

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
nice, when you were designing it did you think about covering the point? I need to make a cover for my fiskars x3 so it's something I need to think about.

The point isn't at all sharp, so I didn't bother. Looking at it though I could have made a flap in place of the front strap, or made the front end deep enough to cover it and possibly done away with the front strap altogether

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Hi
Interesting looking hook - Normally there is an equally sharp edge round the inside curve of the hook as well as the edge you've made the cover for
do you know any of the history or whether this is un-intentional

regards
Gary

bob_the_baker

May 22, 2012
Swansea
Hi
Interesting looking hook - Normally there is an equally sharp edge round the inside curve of the hook as well as the edge you've made the cover for
do you know any of the history or whether this is un-intentional
Gary

As far as I can tell the Hertford pattern came with a single edge on the straight side, at least that's what all the examples I can find on t'internet look like, including another one here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85201
Not sure exactly why, it may be easier for hurdling, using the hook to pull with, rather than cut?

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
HI Bob
think your right just had a look on the National Hedgelaying Society website which links to WWW.timelesstools.com which as loads of photos and references to tools for hedgeing for purchase might be worth a look for interest if nothing elelse have fun
Gary
ps I have an ellwell hook and a Yorkshire. Bill hook from my Hedgelaying days many years ago -fantastic tools for British woodlands and hedgeinghedgeing

Jomo

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2012
banbury
lovely rustic look to it which i prefer over some of these highly finished leather items, great stuff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE