Bill Bryson

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sid

Apr 20, 2004
Essex
:You_Rock_
Can't stop laughing while reading "A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson (set in Canada). One of the most enjoyable and funniest books i've ever read, keep laughing out loud to the annoyance of people around me! Have any of you read it?
Gonna read the one set in England next, think he wrote that one first. Trust me to read them wrong way around!
A must read!

Sid

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Absolutely amazing! I've got the hardback and then picked up a freebie eBook version last summer on the Microsoft Reader (www.microsoft.com/reader) site. I've read most of his books and I'm sure you'll enjoy them all!

Super read!!!!

jamesdevine

Settler
Dec 22, 2003
Skerries, Co. Dublin
Yep I've read it and it was pretty funny I hope to read some more of his stuff soon but I was disappointed with the ending of it. He didn't finish the the best part of the Trail. The fun part at least from a bushcraft point of veiw.

Just a point do the Appalachian Trail is in the US not Canada.

James

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
It was the first one of his that I read, very good, I thoroughly enjoyed it. I've also read the one he did on Britain, not sure of the name...That was good as well, he really loves it here.

He's got an excellent writing style

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I think it is "notes from a small island", absolutely great books. i love that kind of writing. Micheal Moore is another great! The best bit in the Bill Bryson books was his statistics, "well doctor, i was just taking a lie down wehn...." that chapter cracks me up everytime. I think they are both quite similiar writers. Micheal Moore is bit more angry though (understatement) and concentrates on politics, where as Bill Bryson enjoys taking the pi**!!

Cheers,

Jake

Sid

Apr 20, 2004
Essex
Yea guys, could really picture Katz with his oversized backpack full of doughnuts at the start and thorght the bit where they're trying to shake off the annoying 'Mary Ellen' the ear digger was funny too!
Also the book's serious side really makes you think about the vast area of trees in somewhere like Canada and how important they are to the world's survival too.

Sidney

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
The Appalacian(sp) Trail is - however fully in the USA. His latest book, A Short History of Nearly Everything is brilliant, as are his two books on Language - Mother Tongue and Made in America.

J

Jamie

Have just started A Short History of Everything and so far it is superb!

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Jamie said:
Have just started A Short History of Everything and so far it is superb!
Reading that too again ... great book!

J

Jamie

the only thing i have with the book, and its not sop much a dig at Bryson but at science full stop, is that human need to try to understand everything and pigeonhole it. As far as so many scientists are concerned, if they cant explain it it doesnt exist and that really annoys me.

And their arrogance in certain cases, such as (and Bryson does agree with this) the fact that we are the ONLY life in the universe......with the billions of syustems out there, surely the odds are stacked in favour of other life (however sentient or non sentient it may be)?

rant over :roll:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I have heard of mother tongue. Love the fact "there are more people studying english in China than there are people in the USA".

Has anyone seen farenheit 9/11, or is this not the place?

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE