Biking to the shops a lot more

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
Anyone else using their bike more?
I´m using my bike less (I have only my bicycle, no car). During this covid I don ´t go to the supermarkets as I used to (they are a few kilometers away). Only to the local small foodshop 300 metrs away.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Just back from hour ride along the canal with my son. Lovely day and really nice route to ride. I really need to replace my CX tyres with something better. Thinking of going back to my 37/38mm wide marathon plus tyres running at say 65psi for comfort. They're tough tyres so I don't think they would pinch puncture so perhaps even lower pressure might be ok. I'm about 86kg so assume 100kg load with me, bike, emergency kit and water that's. Rpkg front wheel loading and 60kg rear. Some calculators and graphs reckon my 37mm tyres should be 40psi front and 59psi rear. I'd have put it a bit higher personally.

What tyre size and pressure do you guys ride at?

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Looking around schwalbe recommend for a rider weight of 60kg (no assumptions made on your weight it's just one of three weight options given) tyre pressure for 25s should be about 86psi.

Another site with a calculator gives 49/80PSI front/rear based on a 60kg rider and 10kg bike weight. Mine is about 10jg with rack, guards, etc attached. I'm a lot heavier and tend to use 32 to 38mm tyres.

Tyre pressure calculator

IMHO that is too low for 25s. I used to ride 23s on my old steel road bike at 90+ psi. Rock hard ride and I never got punctures on gatorskins!! That bike truly rolled well. I was a lot lighter back then and freewheeling with a cycling group it would free wheel away from everyone. Even expensive bikes with heavier and lighter people. Old bike but low friction bearings not cartridge type did it I reckon.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE