Biker, Happy Joan of Arc Day!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Freeholder Lalli Day!
Henrik_Lalli_Ekman.JPG

Biker! Rejoice as upon this day in 1156 - According to legend, freeholder Lalli slays English crusader Bishop Henry with an axe on the ice of lake Köyliönjärvi in Finland.
Lalli is an apocryphal character from Finnish history. According to legend, he killed Bishop Henry on the ice of lake Köyliönjärvi in Finland on January 20, 1156.
The story tells that when Lalli returned home one day, his wife Kerttu informed him that the bishop recently visited their house and had departed without paying for his food, drink, or fodder. When Lalli heard of this, he became enraged and left to pursue the bishop. At Bishop Henry's bidding, his entourage fled and hid in a nearby forest, while Lalli decapitated Henry with an axe.
Lalli took the bishop's hat from his decapitated head and cut off the bishop's finger to take his ring. The hat became fused to Lalli's head and when he tried to remove it, it tore his scalp off with it. When Lalli tried to remove the bishop's ring from his finger, it likewise tore his finger off. Afterward, Lalli drowned in the lake Köyliönjärvi. Per the bishop's last wish, his body parts were collected by his servants and transported with oxen. Where the oxen stopped became the site of the first church in Finland.
The legend is enshrined in a famous Finnish folk poem called Henrikin surma ("The Slaying of Henry"). The poem includes such characters as a talking statue of Christ and the lying wife, who falsely accuses Bishop Henry of theft. This negligence was probably seen as criminal at the time of the story's setting, but the poem also presents Lalli as a violent madman. One of the versions of the poem is found in the Kanteletar, a collection of old Finnish folk poetry.

Lalli is a well-known figure in Finnish folklore. His name is not common in Finland and may be a form of "Laurentius". He has been depicted as a figure prostrated at the feet of the Bishop Henry in wooden statues. More recently, Lalli has been seen to represent a positive rebellion against oppressive authority.
In the television series Suuret suomalaiset – the Finnish version of 100 Greatest Britons – Lalli was chosen as the 14th greatest Finn.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Oh dear lord no! I turn my back for a few days and this is the sort of thing that happens. Has dad got to you or something Gay Boot?

Shall I spoil it all by posting up this long (and best) forgotten "gem"?

[video=youtube;TZgSpB_zP28]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZgSpB_zP28[/video]

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Oh dear lord no! I turn my back for a few days and this is the sort of thing that happens. Has dad got to you or something Gay Boot?

He has indeed, he is also forcing me to post this as a punishment to us all - He likes being reminded of when he had a mullet hair don't!

[video=youtube;dEMDzXZfILo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEMDzXZfILo[/video]

How's everyone doing from the Joan of Arc'ers anyway? Missing you all, even Cousin Peter;)

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
We've not had much to celebrate lately so let’s celebrate the 204th anniversary of the rescue of a really inspirational survivalist and bushcrafter,

Alexander Selkirk
352px-Robinson_svensk1732.jpg

The inspiration for Daniel Dafoe's Robinson Crusoe, Selkirk was born in 1676 to a shoe maker and tanner in Lower Fargo, Fife, Scotland. He was by all accounts a typical tearaway and yobbish youth with an unruly and quarrelsome attitude. Rather than answer a summons to Kirk Sessions on a charge of 'indecency in a church' he ran off to sea in 1693. He returned to Largo briefly in 1701 where he came to the attentions of the authorities again for beating up his brothers.

In 1703 Selkirk joined an expedition lead by the English privateer and explorer William Dampier. Selkirk was the sailing master on the second ship of the expedition, the Cinque Ports captained by Thomas Stradling. A sailing master was the person on board responsible for navigation so he’d obviously gained considerable sailing experience and responsibility in his ten years at sea.

The expedition wasn’t exactly a success, the two ships chased down a French vessel, the St Jospeh of the coast of Chile. After a long running battle the St Joseph managed to escape and alert the Spanish authorities to the presence of the English privateers. They then attempted a raid upon the town of mining town of Santa Maria in Panama but were ambushed. Luck seemed to turn when they captured the Spanish ship Asuncion and the sailors thought they were going to get rich on the plunder. After taking off much needed provisions from the Asuncion Dampier inexplicably set it free deeming the ship not worth the effort or men to sail her back to England.

In May 1704 Stradling decided to abandon Dampier and strike out on his own to gain fame and fortune. In September 1704 after the ships had parted ways the Cinque Ports put in on the uninhabited Juan Fernandez, some 400 miles from the coast of Chile.

Selkirk complained about the seaworthiness of the ship declaring ‘He’d rather be left ashore on the island than risk going back to sea on a dangerously leaky ship’. Stradling took him at his word and cast him ashore with his personal effects and some essential supplies including a musket and gunpowder. Selkirk regretted his rashness almost immediately but Stradling wouldn’t let him back aboard and sailed off leaving him stranded upon the island.

Ironically the ship did founder off the coast of Columbia. None of the crew died but they had to surrender to the Spanish and were imprisoned under very harsh conditions in Lima, Peru

Selkirk first stayed upon the shore line of the island, surviving on shellfish constantly scanning the sea in hope of rescue. He was finally driven inland because of the raucous noise of the sea lions that had come ashore for the mating season. He was able to capture some of the feral goats so he had milk and meat. He also found wild turnips and cabbage along with dried peppers for spice. Using the skills that he’d been taught by his father he was able to tan the goat skins and sew them together for clothing using a nail for a needle. His knife was forged from a barrel hoop which was amongst the supplies left him. He also semi tamed some feral cats to keep the plagues of rats away from his home and supplies.

Selkirk started chasing down the goats because his gunpowder and ammunition was running low. During one chase he fell off a cliff and was unable to move for almost a day. Luckily his fall had been cushioned by his prey which most likely saved him from a broken back.

During the 4 years on his island 2 ships anchored up at his island. Unfortunately both were Spanish and rather than risk capture and possible imprisonment he hid from them. He was seen and chased by one of the ships crew but escaped by hiding in a tree and watched as the Spaniards urinated against it before departing in frustration.

His saviour came in the form of the English ship The Duke a privateer piloted by none other than William Dampier. Selkirk was almost incoherent with joy at being rescued having endured 4 years and 4 months without any human contact. His health was good impressing the captain ofThe Duke
and leader of the expedition of, Captain Woodes Rogers. Rogers was also particularly impressed at the inner peace and tranquility of mind Selkirk had developed during his sojourn upon the island. As Rogers observed, "One may see that solitude and retirement from the world is not such an insufferable state of life as most men imagine, especially when people are fairly called or thrown into it unavoidably, as this man was".

Selkirk returned to the life of a privateer before returning via the Cape of Good Hope, thus completing a full circumnavigation of the world, to England on the 1 October 1711. He’d been away for some 8 years.

He died on 13 December 1721 of yellow fever off the west coast of Africa whilst serving as Master’s Mate upon HMS Weymouth.

Last edited:

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Thanks for that Steve, I enjoyed reading it. I used to watch "The Adventures of Robinson Crusoe" when I was a kid.

[video=youtube;86F51KvbEOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86F51KvbEOs[/video]

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Memories!
Even as a child I wondered about the quality of his knife when he broke it harvesting shellfish!
That series inspired me, as a child, to make dens and play with knives.... it still does!
The book is well worth a read even now :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Biker! Happy Martyr Day!

1597 - A group of early Japanese Christians are killed by the new government of Japan for being seen as a threat to Japanese society.

On February 5, 1597, twenty-six Christians – four Spaniards, one Mexican, one Indian, all Franciscan missionaries, three Japanese Jesuits and seventeen Japanese laymen including three young boys, who were all members of the Third Order of St. Francis – were executed by crucifixion in Nagasaki on the orders of Hideyoshi Toyotomi. These individuals were raised on crosses and then pierced through with spears.
Persecution continued sporadically, breaking out again in 1613 and 1630. On September 10, 1632, 55 Christians were martyred in Nagasaki in what became known as the Great Genna Martyrdom. At this time Catholicism was officially outlawed. The Church remained without clergy and theological teaching disintegrated until the arrival of Western missionaries in the nineteenth century.
While there were many more martyrs, the first martyrs came to be especially revered, the most celebrated of which was Paul Miki. The Martyrs of Japan were canonized by the Roman Catholic Church on June 8, 1862 by Pope Pius IX,[SUP] [/SUP]and are listed on the calendar as Sts. Paul Miki and his Companions, commemorated on February 6, February 5, the date of their death, being the feast of Saint Agatha
. They were included in the General Roman Calendar for the first time in 1969; accordingly those who observe the universal versions of earlier calendars, such as the General Roman Calendar of 1962, the General Roman Calendar of Pope Pius XII, the General Roman Calendar as in 1954 and, of course, the Tridentine Calendar, in which these saints do not appear, give them no liturgical veneration. They are, however, provided with their own Mass texts (Collect, Secret and Postcommunion) under February 13 - the first Feria after the date of their martyrdom - in the pro aliquibus locis section of missals used by those observing the General Roman Calendar of 1962.
Drawn from the oral histories of Japanese Catholic communities, Shusaku Endo's acclaimed novel Silence provides detailed accounts of the persecution of Christian communities and the suppression of the Church.

Famous Birthdays.
976 - Sanjō, Emperor of Japan (d. 1017)
1505 - Aegidius Tschudi, Swiss historian (d. 1572)
1519 - René of Châlon, (d. 1544)
1534 - Giovanni de' Bardi, Italian writer (d. 1612)
1589 - Honorat de Brueil seigneur de Racan, French playwright/poet
1589 - Esteban Manuel de Villegas, Spanish poet (d. 1669)
1608 - Gaspar Schott, German mathematician (d. 1666)
1626 - Marie de Rabutin-Chantal, marquise de Sévigné, French author (d. 1696)
1662 - Giuseppi Vignola, composer
1703 - Gilbert Tennent, Irish-born religious leader (d. 1764)
1711 - Joseph Umstatt, composer
1723 - John Witherspoon, clergyman/signed Declaration of Independence
1725 - James Otis, American lawyer and patriot (d. 1783)
1732 - Nathanael Gottfried Gruner, composer
1744 - John Jeffries, colonial physician/meteorologist
1969 - Your very own Goatboy! Bushcrafter, ex-forester, all round good egg. (still alive).

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I'm doing well my friend, as they say I can't complain. Mainly because no one listens :)

How's things with yourself?

I'll listen mate, fill my head with your woes! I'm doing well. Finally got a letter saying that I'm officially on the list for a new hip! So within 12 weeks I should be seen. Got a shock earlier when I passed a mirror (I'm at a pals house today and he has heating so I'm not all bundled up); amazed how skinny I've gotten. Been out walking and generally trying to get fit. Missing the internet but will hopefully get back online soon.

You been out to play? Not been brilliant weather your way though has it? We've snow on the hills surrounding the village and are waiting for the usual "cut off again" drop of snow! :eek: Personally I like it when it happens.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cheers Colin,

Good to see you are still about! Seems there's a few folk MIA since my enforced holiday from the net. Having a nice day, walking dogs and keeping warm!

Colin.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Happy birthday Colin :) It is good to see you online again. Fit is good but connected to the Internet and posting here is good too!

1969 hey? Sad to say I remember it quite well. About this time in 1969 I'd have just got back from a few weeks swimming and fishing in Kawhia. How time flies!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE