Biker Basics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
If you're not adverse to a twist and go, have a look at a Honda Big Ruckus, check out the reviews. Being now bikeless for the first time in 45 years or so i love it's funky looks and it's performance is adequate.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Hi , Can I ask why the suggestion of an Automatic Moped??? Won't i be then having to learn and additional set of skills down the ( quite literally ) Road??

Asked with respect

I'm guessing (maybe I shouldn't :)) and I'm sure Woody girl will correct me, but one of the hardest things to learn in the beginning (and to go back to if I'm honest) is steering, so learning on something simple like a moped gets you there without the bulk and power of a bike. I know it sounds stupid but to be confident and not steer into that truck coming the other way you really have to be prepared to lean and sort of push on the handlebar the way you want to steer (OK, best left to a professional to explain I think - over to you Woody girl :) ).

Oh, and having raised the subject, target fixation is a real thing on a bike - do not look at where you don't want to go - that truck again, or a pothole :)

Reactions: TeeDee and Robbi

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Well it gets you used to road craft without having to worry about gearshifts and clutch control which is a different science to what you'd be used to in a car.
Don't forget you don't have the protective cage around you on a bike so any bumps hurt!
Once your road sense has acclimatised to a bike then step up to a geared bike.
The most difficult pupils I had were long term car drivers who got a small 125 and tried to ride.
Trying to change gear with the brake was an amusing one (for me)
Just a suggestion, if you want a 125 go for it but take some basic cbt lessons anyway. Worth the money for the training you get . You'll already have some road sense but you need a lot more concentration on a bike.
It's second nature to me now and I don't have to think too hard but I have noticed I'm not quite as reactive as I once was, though still pretty good for an older rider. Mind you "the ton" is no longer on my to do list :)

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Having spent my youth on British bikes, the first Jap one I got on I dropped as I tried to change gear whilst turning only to slam the brake on :)
Many years ago I had a yamaha 350 and a triumph trident 750.
I sometimes used to forget which one I was riding... but I never fell off.
Sudden braking while trying to change gear can be a hazard!
Gear change should be done before the corner so you enter at the correct speed and can accelerate out at the apex of the bend. Some of us learn the hard way! :)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Gear change should be done before the corner so you enter at the correct speed and can accelerate out at the apex of the bend. Some of us learn the hard way! :)

It was a very slow manoeuvre which made it all the more embarrassing :)
To be fair though, the only other time I've dropped a bike is on my drive before I had the gravel replaced with paving!

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Ugh! Gravel! The motorcyclists nightmare!
I hate it when I see them still working at resurfacing and you have to try and ride in the wheel tracks of the cars. They never have the right line for a bend or corner!
The last time this happened I had to navigate 2and 1/2 miles of continuous gravel.top speed 10 mph on the big bike as it hates gravel. The virago is not so skitty on it.
The worst is when you put your foot down and it keeps sliding away from you and the bike follows!... happened to me once too!
I think the worst heart stopping moment was in Ireland on the beamer. Put my foot down at a junction in the middle of nowhere and it just kept going down down down.. bike and I followed. Me stuck underneath for about 40 minutes untill someone came along.
Luckily reached the kill switch ok,.... just! nothing injured except pride, But it wasn't nice.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Go for it TeeDee, You'll never look back..Well you will (rear observation) or you'll fail your Test, but you know what I mean...:p

July 1964...DVLC ??.,. Didn't exist... 250cc BSA C15 single..

Summer travels..

Current bike.... As Broch says, it's about the ride, not seeing how quick you can get into the Air Ambulance.

:thumbsup:

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Always wanted a Guzzi california. One bike I've never got my grubby mitts on. I do like a v twin.
Both mine are v's and shaft drive. No more chain adjustment ever again. Always hated that job.

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
Had the Guzzi from new in 1997, Woody girl. Fabulous, reliable bike but spares started to get A) scarce or B) silly money. Had to get an exhaust collector box (between the down pipes, ) from Italy!! a Mortgage..and it was a used part!!!

Plus getting heavy for the 'ol boy to push, move about. Ok when rolling but sheesh! in tight spaces..hard work and liable to drop it..especially on loose gravel...:D

Got a posh chain on the Himalayan and as there's no tyre smokin' acceleration the chain will probably see me out with not too many adjustment hassles..:laugh:

Reactions: Woody girl

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
Had the Guzzi from new in 1997, Woody girl. Fabulous, reliable bike but spares started to get A) scarce or B) silly money. Had to get an exhaust collector box (between the down pipes, ) from Italy!! a Mortgage..and it was a used part!!!

Plus getting heavy for the 'ol boy to push, move about. Ok when rolling but sheesh! in tight spaces..hard work and liable to drop it..especially on loose gravel...:D

Got a posh chain on the Himalayan and as there's no tyre smokin' acceleration the chain will probably see me out with not too many adjustment hassles..:laugh:
Yes I'm feeling the intruders weight nowadays.that's why I got the virago.
I don't want to but for the amount I use it I think it would be sensible to sell the intruder.
I did less than 200 miles last year. I'm preferring the little one as it's a lot less effort to ride.
Not the same amount of street cred tho!

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
What’s your opinion on the Himalayan ?

Value for money and suitability for purpose..used within it's scope....I think it is the best bike I've ever owned.
After the Guzzi's 1100cc fuel injected power and cruising ability I thought the Himalayan would be mind numbingly under powered..wrong! Low down torque and the gearing makes it feel like it will go up the side of a house in 3rd gear, but it would be hard work on a Motorway, top speed and acceleration is....limited.

I won't go on, but I live in deep rural twisty, sometimes muddy, high hedge row countryside. Lots of hills and short cuts down farm tracks, in this environment the Himalayan is absolutely fabulous.
Cheap to buy
70 plus MPG
Well made ( all the earlier models bugs sorted by Royal Enfield in Leicester)
Easy to maintain (although fuel injection will need professional experience if required)
Cheap spares / extras available.

I bought it eyes wide open, too old and crafty and too many bikes over 60 years to be fooled by publicity or sales bull. I admit I am delighted with the Himalayan. :thumbsup:

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" Not the same amount of street cred tho! "...:)

Bah! Ladies of a certain age and still riding any bike, don't need a flash bike for street cred. What's the a Virago a 535 or 750?

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Value for money and suitability for purpose..used within it's scope....I think it is the best bike I've ever owned.
After the Guzzi's 1100cc fuel injected power and cruising ability I thought the Himalayan would be mind numbingly under powered..wrong! Low down torque and the gearing makes it feel like it will go up the side of a house in 3rd gear, but it would be hard work on a Motorway, top speed and acceleration is....limited.

I won't go on, but I live in deep rural twisty, sometimes muddy, high hedge row countryside. Lots of hills and short cuts down farm tracks, in this environment the Himalayan is absolutely fabulous.
Cheap to buy
70 plus MPG
Well made ( all the earlier models bugs sorted by Royal Enfield in Leicester)
Easy to maintain (although fuel injection will need professional experience if required)
Cheap spares / extras available.

I bought it eyes wide open, too old and crafty and too many bikes over 60 years to be fooled by publicity or sales bull. I admit I am delighted with the Himalayan. :thumbsup:

Value for Money being how much?

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
" Not the same amount of street cred tho! "...:)

Bah! Ladies of a certain age and still riding any bike, don't need a flash bike for street cred. What's the a Virago a 535 or 750?

Virago is a 750 cc American import.
Who says I don't need street cred?
Reminds me of the remarks when I first started out .
Wanted a fizzy like all my mates.... got a puch maxi as it was more ladylike. (Boyfriend bought me my first bike).
Then I wanted a yamaha 250 and was told a bsa bantam would be suitable.
Pah to you too! :) :) :)

saxonaxe

Nomad
Sep 29, 2018
SW Wales
" Value for Money being how much? "

410 cc Himalayan £4000
BMW G310 £5320
450 cc Honda CRF l £9460

Different mind set...Point is any lady biker already has street cred as far as I am concerned, whatever her bike.what bike she "Has" to ride to qualify is just the flakes imposing their phoney standards....:laugh:

Reactions: TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
" Value for Money being how much? "

410 cc Himalayan £4000
BMW G310 £5320
450 cc Honda CRF l £9460

Different mind set...Point is any lady biker already has street cred as far as I am concerned, whatever her bike.what bike she "Has" to ride to qualify is just the flakes imposing their phoney standards....:laugh:

Assuming these are made IN India?? Wonder if you can purchase at the Factory and ride it back to the UK.

Hell of a Road trip......

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE