Brompton Folding Bike Bushcraft conversion.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
A few years back I got a Brompton folding bike for use when commuting to work in the Netherlands. It's a lovely bike, folds up well, and rides beautifully. It's become my main bike of choice, for pretty much every bike ride in recent years.

But as it came out the factory, it's load carrying capability was less than perfect, and the gear range wasn't quite upto the hills we have in Kent (I did buy it in Amsterdam...).

I've spent the last year or so upgrading parts of the bike to make it the ideal Bushcraft touring bike. This last weekend saw it's first outing in it's new configuration, a nice easy Jaunt from Kent, to the Ardenne... in Luxembourg...

One of the joys of the Brompton is that you can fold it up easily and take it on public transport without any difficulty[1], so my trip to Luxembourg involved a Ferry from Dover to Dunkerque, a 16km bike ride to Dunkirk station, a bus ride to De Panne, where I got the train to Brussels, to meet a friend to go onwards to Luxembourg by car. The Brompton operated flawlessly through out, as well as carrying my full camping kit for the trip.

One of the tricky requirements of any modification to the Brompton is that of maintaining the fold. You could easily put bar ends on that are too big, and they would interfere with the fold. Or if you attach a bag to the rear rack, it makes folding the bike up a right sod.

The modifications I made were:

• 8 speed rear hub - this is not a Brompton part, but an after market upgrade from Kinetics in Glasgow
  • GP2 bar grips - These offer an extra position to hold the handlebars by, as well as a really comfortable normal position.
  • Carradice SQR rack - This fits under the saddle and allows my rear luggage to be easily fitted/removed. The rack is designed to be used with Carridice saddle bags, but as a cheaper option, I'm using a 30L dry bag from Alpkit. This rack is rated to 10kg.
  • Bottle klick - This is a useful way of fitting a bottle rack that is removable when folding the bike.
  • Front bag - I wasn't happy with the standard Bromtpon T bag, so decided to use the front rack from the Brompton, but attach a 20L alpkit dry bag to it.
  • Brooks saddle - A comfortable replacement for the standard saddle.

So what does the touring configured Brompton look like?

brompton01_sm.jpg

Pictured here waiting to board the ferry at Dover. Flipping the backwheel under doubles as a convenient stand.

brompton02_sm.jpg

Broken down into the component parts ready to board the bus in Dunkirk.

brompton03_sm.jpg

Close up of the rear rack and dry bag configuration.

I used a 35L dry bag on the rear rack, and a 20L dry bag on the front. In summer, using the considerably more compact summer sleeping bag, I could fit everything I need into the 35L bag on the rear, so I could then do away with the front rack entirely. For this trip the 20L dry bag on the front contained just my winter sleeping bag, and nothing more. Currently the bags are attached with Bungees, I am not certain this is the best solution, so may experiment some in the coming weeks. I would like to find an easy way of adding a couple of pockets or something to the dry bag, I don't have anywhere to put say a wet tarp, or a fuel bottle so my sleeping bag doesn't smell of meths, that sort of thing, but for now this is working well.

One thing people often comment about the Brompton is that it's a toy bike with tiny wheels, only suited to the commute. This isn't true, I've climbed to the highest point of country's on this bike, ridden through 1ft deep flood water, and offroaded through woodland bridleways awash with mud. The bike isn't the limit, it's the bit between the saddle and the handlebars that lets the side down...

All together, this is becoming a really capable touring bike, and I intend to use her for Bushcraft trips in the near future.

Julia

[1]some backward train operators do insist on you having a cover fitted when doing so...

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Interesting. That's a lot of mods to what is an expensive bike to begin with. Do you think with hindsight you'd still go for a Brompton over a Dahon or a Tern for example?

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
J. You may find s it useful to google uraltourcom luggage....

Have looked at the similar offerings from Alpkit, but alas for the Brompton they don't offer much, the frame bags don't really work with the Brompton, ditto the handlebar bags. The only really useful one would be the saddle bag, but that's smaller than the alpkit dry bag I use, and 3 times the price...

Interesting. That's a lot of mods to what is an expensive bike to begin with. Do you think with hindsight you'd still go for a Brompton over a Dahon or a Tern for example?

Everytime. I have played with a lot of different folding bikes, and none has the versatility or compactness of the Brompton. Sure it's not a cheap purchase, but I don't own a car, so this is my main transport. So anything I spend on improvements is pretty much money well spent.

Julia

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Have looked at the similar offerings from Alpkit, but alas for the Brompton they don't offer much, the frame bags don't really work with the Brompton, ditto the handlebar bags. The only really useful one would be the saddle bag, but that's smaller than the alpkit dry bag I use, and 3 times the price...

Everytime. I have played with a lot of different folding bikes, and none has the versatility or compactness of the Brompton. Sure it's not a cheap purchase, but I don't own a car, so this is my main transport. So anything I spend on improvements is pretty much money well spent.

Julia

I've been looking at getting a folding bike for a while now. What amazes me is there's only one "takedown" bike on the market. I don't really need it to fold, just pack up small. Although I have seen you can get a normal bike frame modded to takedown but it's an expensive mod.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I've been looking at getting a folding bike for a while now. What amazes me is there's only one "takedown" bike on the market. I don't really need it to fold, just pack up small. Although I have seen you can get a normal bike frame modded to takedown but it's an expensive mod.

What do you want to do with the bike? I can't recommend the Brompton highly enough.

If you want to have a play with one, investigate the Brompton Dock, it's a hirer system for Bromptons, either 1 quid yearly membership, then 5 quid a day, or 20 quid a year, and 2.5 quid a day. Well worth investigating to see how you get on with the bike.

Julia

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
What do you want to do with the bike? I can't recommend the Brompton highly enough.

If you want to have a play with one, investigate the Brompton Dock, it's a hirer system for Bromptons, either 1 quid yearly membership, then 5 quid a day, or 20 quid a year, and 2.5 quid a day. Well worth investigating to see how you get on with the bike.

Julia

I want a bike I can stash in the boot of my fiesta for trips around Leeds at lunchtime.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I want a bike I can stash in the boot of my fiesta.

Brompton is the choice for you. There are pictures floating about of a Brompton folded up in the "boot" of a Porsche 911...

They are expensive, but they are worth every penny, they hold their value very well.

Julia

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I want a bike I can stash in the boot of my fiesta for trips around Leeds at lunchtime.

Um, there is definitely more than one 'takedown' bike on the market. It's a small market, aimed at people who want a bike that rides like a 'real' bike but need it to pack up small for travelling.

Look at bike friday, Airnimal for example. Spa Cycles in Harrogate stock airnimals.

But if you are just after something to do 5-10 mile rides around the city centre, a Brompton or Dahon would do the job for you. Evans Cycles near the station will get bikes in for you to test ride.

I've owned a brompton and they are great for what they are. Wonderfully quick fold, easyish to carry when folded and manouver very well in traffic.
I don't like them for long distances, finding them hard work compared with a 'full size' bike and some of the parts such as rims wear out quickly. But that criticism would apply to any folding bike.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Brompton is the choice for you. There are pictures floating about of a Brompton folded up in the "boot" of a Porsche 911...

They are expensive, but they are worth every penny, they hold their value very well.

Julia

I wish I could afford a Brompton, but realistically it's out of my budget for my needs - it doesn't need to fold/unfold quickly, doesn't need to be super light. I mainly going to be bezzing up and down Canal towpaths. I think a Dahon is more in my range.

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Um, there is definitely more than one 'takedown' bike on the market. It's a small market, aimed at people who want a bike that rides like a 'real' bike but need it to pack up small for travelling.

Look at bike friday, Airnimal for example. Spa Cycles in Harrogate stock airnimals.

But if you are just after something to do 5-10 mile rides around the city centre, a Brompton or Dahon would do the job for you. Evans Cycles near the station will get bikes in for you to test ride.

I've owned a brompton and they are great for what they are. Wonderfully quick fold, easyish to carry when folded and manouver very well in traffic.
I don't like them for long distances, finding them hard work compared with a 'full size' bike and some of the parts such as rims wear out quickly. But that criticism would apply to any folding bike.

I could only find one take down bike after loads of googling - and that was an odd strutted beast. Looked more like a biplane had crashed into a pram.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Well now you know different . . .

For your needs, I'd suggest looking at a Dahon Jack. Bigger wheels than the Brompton types make it more suitable to towpaths, simple folding makes it quick to lift out and go. Will definitely fit in a boot.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe

Have never seen the word "takedown" used to describe a bike before. Folding was always the term I've seen used.

I have heard good things about the bike friday as a touring bike, but not tried one myself. It would feel like cheating on my Brompton...

Disagree. They are fantastic the longest I've done with it is 38km, but I am building up for longer distances, I regularly do 16km rides, and will be building on this in time.

I know there are some who do the Dunwich Dynamo, Audaxes, and other long rides on Bromptons, They really aren't quite just the city bike suitable for short distances that everyone thinks they are.

I wish I could afford a Brompton, but realistically it's out of my budget for my needs - it doesn't need to fold/unfold quickly, doesn't need to be super light. I mainly going to be bezzing up and down Canal towpaths. I think a Dahon is more in my range.

Have you looked at the cycle to work scheme?

Well now you know different . . .

For your needs, I'd suggest looking at a Dahon Jack. Bigger wheels than the Brompton types make it more suitable to towpaths, simple folding makes it quick to lift out and go. Will definitely fit in a boot.

I've never quite understood where this bigger wheels argument comes from. I own other bikes with 700c wheels, and I don't think that it makes as much difference as people think it does.

The short wheel base of the Brompton gives a fantastic manoeuvrability that I've yet to find on any other bike.

Julia

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Great write up Julia.

Not a Brompton fan myself, but to be honest i'm not a fan of fold away bikes either.
For commuting i can see where they would be a good solution.

For touring though the odd time i've used public transport with a bike i've never really had a problem, here in Greece you can load bikes onto the last subway car (if it's not full), done a couple of train trips over the years and again had no problem with a full sized bike.

I do agree with MrCharly, i found them extremely uncomfortable for longer (50km+) rides.
Part of the problem is the wheel size means you get a fair bit of kick from bumps in the road or potholes, a larger wheel like say 700c doesn't have such a pronounced "kick"

Around say 20km you can feel it but it doesn't make much of a difference to comfort, if you start hitting 50km and over i really start to curse the bike then.

The other problem i had was that i just couldn't get a comfortable position with the handlebars, tried every possible adjustment but just couldn't get a good compromise between control and comfort.

As a comparison i used to do over 200 miles a week training, with a long ride thrown in on Sundays usually around 100 miles, so my body was used to the effects of cycling.
30 miles on a Brompton though pretty much had me done for.

Saying that, people do ride Bromptons for longer distances, we even had a guy do our local 10 mile time trial on one complete with tri-bars, so no doubt they're capable, i think you really NEED to make use of the folding feature of the bikes to make them worthwhile though, something which i don't.

I did enjoy your post though, please keep them coming.

Cheers
Mark

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
thinking about it, the old austin metro was a good bit bigger than a fiesta. Plus you could fold the back seats down

Well it was a good few years ago......I'll get back in me corner now lol

mountainm

Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
thinking about it, the old austin metro was a good bit bigger than a fiesta. Plus you could fold the back seats down

Well it was a good few years ago......I'll get back in me corner now lol

Don't want to fold the seats down, the bike needs to be hidden so some scrote won't break into my car.

Anyhoo - hijacked this thread - sorry.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I am sure I read somewhere that they do a London to Paris Brompton ride.

I have a Dahon Espresso, this is like a mountain bike that folds in half. it is fitted with a rear rack. The only thing with mine-an earlier model- is that I need an allen key to fold the handlebars in so it fits in its bag.
Its aluminium and weighs in at 14 kilos.It has 21 gears.

I can see a Kent folding bike camping meet happening.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE