big MOD chopper.....

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
went out for a wander with a non bushy mate and the conversation quickly turned to cutting tools. i had an opinel no7 in my pocket and the faithful Mora Robust in my pack. He produced a little silver spyderco. handy. he showed me a pic on his phone of what i can only describe as a huge camp type knife. it looked so heavy and ungainly with a thick black blade. he told me that it was used often (he is a soldier) but it looks so... well, impractical. other than brashing i cant see a regular use for it. has anyone had any experience of this type of knife?

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
They are massive in every way mate, i'v got one knocking around somewhere....some folks like em and modify them a bit.
Me? Tbh other than a kindling splitter It struck me as a bit of a useless heavy wedge of steel

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
They're a bit wild and heavy to use for fine work, a bit short for chopping. As sunndog said spot on for splitting kindling, and you'll never break one. I have one somewhere, but honestly one word in that sentence will demonstrate how much use I get from it

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
That's cheap for an MOD survival knife, but when you follow the link to the importer Kombat UK, it is a British Army 'Style' knife.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
That was just the first link that popped up mate.....i would never suggest anyone actually buy one, let alone a copy :D

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
used to use one before the bushcraft theme/popularity started. Had one in the 80's and early 90's still have it somewhere.
It was a great knife like everything the more you used it the more expert you became with it. But get an original not the webtex copy.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
2d85199fbe816220f351741b4bf76eec.jpg

I like the modifications this guy's done

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Brynglas

The old MOD issue 'tree slappers' weren't particulary well thought of, either in the Arctic or the jungle. I understand that the more recently issued goloks are better thought of in the jungle environment. I know that I ditched my pussers issued knife soon after getting it and managed to get hold of a parang in Brunei which instill use over twenty years later.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
The old MOD issue 'tree slappers' weren't particulary well thought of, either in the Arctic or the jungle. I understand that the more recently issued goloks are better thought of in the jungle environment. I know that I ditched my pussers issued knife soon after getting it and managed to get hold of a parang in Brunei which instill use over twenty years later.

The old Gollock or Tree Beater was ok but never came with a sharpener kit and no one either sharpened them or perhaps knew how to.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE