BIG hand knitted socks

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

toilet digger

Native
Jan 26, 2011
burradon northumberland
not sure if this is posted in the right place but here goes....
the lovely mrs toilet digger is quite the talented knitter, i have a lovely pair of green pure wool big socks and she started on an even bigger pair........4 months ago.
result 1 finished sock.
so fellow bushcraft comrades, now as mrs toilet digger is registered on this here marvel of a forum/community, i was hoping if you could use all your powers of persuasion/torrent of abuse to ensure that this latest pair of BIG socks is completed before next winter and preventing what could be a fatal case of cold feet

thanking you in advance
jamie (soon to be single)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You know ? a capable, quick knitter could make a wee mint off the folks on this site :D

I knit, but I've *really* got to like you to knit for you. I get swamped as it is with family stuff.

I reckon it's time that knitting socks (and hats and gloves) was added to the useful skills all bushcrafters should know. After all if seamen and lighthousekeepers can do it, so can you lot :D

cheers,
Toddy

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth
since toilet digger is soon to be single, perhaps someone on here would care to swap the afore mentioned socks( pure wool, knee high- with a good ribbed turn over) for some other handcrafted goodies??!!x

mrcairney

Settler
Jun 4, 2011
West Pennine Moors
Good luck. I have some wonderfully multicoloured socks that my missus did. They took about a year.

EDIT - I've been told that 'they DIDN'T take a year, we moved house in between'

(they took a year)

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
I am learning how to knit at the moment I knit a few wool hats, I am now learning how to knit myself my very first scarf.using thumb casting then slowly following a pattern. very tricky and lots of mathematicals equation. when to decease/ increase, when to add a stich or two. I still got a long way to go I am still a knit rookie, if that is a word. but very satisfying to know you made something out of nothing. cheers the interceptor boy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I tried knitting - I am OK if I have a knitting machinr!
A lack of left hand/right hand co-ordination made hand knitting a failure - like my two handed typing, playing a musical instrument and juggling ....
I will stick to sewing!

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
i would't like to commit to a commision... don't have the time!! but i can knit wide socks foot/ calf !!... i'll keep you in mind if i get the time...!!x

Bigger usualy means longer in shop bought socks, so if I am wearing two or three pairs in the Arctic I get compression.
( Tight footwear=cold feet! ) even if I have plenty of width in my boots, do you get my point ?
Please do let me know if you get the time !
Thanks mrs td.
My best.
Chris.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Is it just my imagination or are socks getting narrower? Seems like every Christmas I get another three or four pairs from distant relatives that I can't wear because they're too tight around my calves. I've always had fat feet but my calves aren't extreme at all. It's got to the stage now where if I'm wearing socks that are less than ten years old I have to pull them off every chance I get.

mrs toilet digger

Tenderfoot
Jul 17, 2011
tynemouth
Is it just my imagination or are socks getting narrower? Seems like every Christmas I get another three or four pairs from distant relatives that I can't wear because they're too tight around my calves. I've always had fat feet but my calves aren't extreme at all. It's got to the stage now where if I'm wearing socks that are less than ten years old I have to pull them off every chance I get.
i would suggest you take up toddys' suggestion and start knitting... once you've worn hand kinitted sock you will never want to put ashop bought pair near your feet... good luck!!x

.. chris, i understand perfectly . i promise to keep you in mind ( i'll put you on the list ) take care !!x

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I reckon it's time that knitting socks (and hats and gloves) was added to the useful skills all bushcrafters should know. After all if seamen and lighthousekeepers can do it, so can you lot :D

cheers,
Toddy

I agree, next Comrie meet we should have a knitting circle beneath the parachute. It's on my "to learn" list, although when aking the auld dears locally about wanting to learn to knit they fell about laughing. Must ask the WRI...

Narrower? I think they are, and they're a nuisance.

I haven't heard the phrase "pull your socks up" for years, must've been devastating for the sock suspender industry too....

Liam

hairyhippy

Tenderfoot
Aug 11, 2009
Notts
I've been knitting on and off for a few years now, I started with the intention of making myself a pair of socks, but it's the bl**dy heel. Can I get it right? Arrrrgggghhh!!! I'm off back to carry on with my jumper until I've calmed down.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
For those who would like to commission socks made to their own specifications;

http://www.sallypointer.com

Sally Pointer, otherwise known as Sally in Wales, has a neat wee stocking knitting machine and will make you a pair as you like.
Technically these are called handloomed, since the machine might speed up the work but it still needs a lot of footering around with to shape and finish properly.
The socks come highly recommended and they're cheaper than the ones from South America :cool:

No connection, just someone I've blethered to at a couple of reenactors markets.

cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE