Big biting wasp - what was it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elspeth

Aug 25, 2013
Cheshire
On holiday in the south west of France we saw some/just one around quite a lot (?) insects that looked like big, fat common wasps. Didn't really have a pronounced waist. My 13-year old nephew, having been taught to sit still if a wasp landed on him, sat and watched one of these big wasps on his arm. While he watched it it brought its mouthpiece from each side together to form a sort of point and stabbed it into his arm! He was left with a small puncture wound (which bled a little) , which was a bit sore, but it clearly hadn't stung him as such as it didn't swell up or anything and disappeared pretty quickly. We think that the same happened to my 7-year old, who was almost hysterical saying that a wasp had stung him, but there was no evidence of a sting (this was before the 13 year old, so at the time we thought he was just being a drama-queen!!). In both cases the boys were wet, having been in the pool. Any idea what these might have been?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Elspeth, did it look a bit like this?

tabanus_unknown_adult_lateral_m_01.jpg

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Almost certainly a horsefly, something in the Tabanus sudeticus line, like the first picture posted by Blacktimberwolf.

Nasty experience for the youngster :(

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hate these things more than any other insect with the possible exception of hornets (shudder)

They actually don't bother me too much, only ever had one bite me and it died for it. They seem to move quite slowly.

Agreed on the Hornets, the Ryanair of flying stingy things.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Hornets are ok. Big, fearsome, and usually placid unless you do something to make them defend their nest. I wouldn't want to be stung by one though.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hornets are ok. Big, fearsome, and usually placid unless you do something to make them defend their nest. I wouldn't want to be stung by one though.

Agreed. Huge, scary, yet the most placid and docile of their species. I'm about as fearful of a hornet as I am of a bumblebee, though Ive had to work at it ;)

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Agreed. Huge, scary, yet the most placid and docile of their species. I'm about as fearful of a hornet as I am of a bumblebee, though Ive had to work at it ;)

Haha the only ones I've come across have been more than a little angry! Perhaps capturing them enrages them a little..? :lmao:

yarrow

Forager
Nov 23, 2004
Dublin
And I thought clegs were bad :yikes:
No way I'd have sat still for thon blighter though.

Funny enough, I was reading on walkhighlands recently and clegs were mentioned, and that using bracken eases the bite :cool:
I'll find a link.

cheers,
Toddy

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1264

I would urge caution using bracken for anything, I know it is eaten in some countries and is used topically in certain folk remedies but the evidence is stacking up that bracken is a potentially dangerous source of carcinogens, it has even been suggested that the higher instance of stomach and esophageal cancers in some areas "could" be due to high concentration bracken in the area.

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
With regard to the OP< the fact that the insect was described as biting rules out wasps and hornets, which sting rather than bite. Therefore it was a biting fly.

franglais

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2013
France
We get them around here, even the dog has been bitten, we also get hornets, unlike wasps they are not usually aggressive, leave them alone and they will not bother you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE