Bicycle tyre levers ???

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I can remove 700c 23 and Mtb 26" tyres by hand unless hands are cold. A slight bit of alcohol hand gel on the rim before hand will help. Don't lube otherwise your rim brakes won't work.
Water or water+washing up liquid are lubricant for rubber - and washing up liquid on rims will actually improve the performance of rim brakes.

The tyres that Julia is talking about are noted for being extremely difficult; putting them on sometimes involves the foot method, if anyone is interested I'll look up a post on another forum where I provided a long description of how this works.

Edit - I'm bored.

Here is a link to the method with my description and added pictures by someone trying it out.
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=28167.0

Last edited:

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
Never had much of a problem with plastic levers, as long as they're not super cheaply made they can take a lot of force. Not a fan of metal ones generally because if you're pushing down enough to warrant the metal levers, you're pushing down enough to damage the rim.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Never had much of a problem with plastic levers, as long as they're not super cheaply made they can take a lot of force. Not a fan of metal ones generally because if you're pushing down enough to warrant the metal levers, you're pushing down enough to damage the rim.

There's someone who doesn't use Schwalbe Marathon Plus tyres...

I've snapped tyre levers wrestling these onto rims, they are bad enough on 622 rims, but trying to get them onto 349 is quite a workout. I've yet to damage a rim with the tyre levers I use.

As with everything, YMMV

J

MilkTheFrog

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2015
United Kingdom
No, but on the subject of tyres I've had a pretty great experience with various Vittoria models, which people largely seem to overlook when choosing. Put thousands of km onto both some basic Rubinos and some Randonneur IIs for touring and never had any problems with grip, I trust them into pretty much any corner, and to date I've not had a single puncture with them.

Mar 1, 2016
Northern Ireland
sorry guys ,slightly off topic.. i recently bought an Apollo Evade from Halfords, and the guys there fgilled my tyres with what they called slime, its the same stuff they put into car tyres when they puncture ,guaranteed for two years.Ttwo years puncture free cycling is good im my book

Mar 1, 2016
Northern Ireland
sorry guys ,slightly off topic.. i recently bought an Apollo Evade from Halfords, and the guys there filled my tyres with what they called slime, its the same stuff they put into car tyres when they puncture ,guaranteed for two years.Two years puncture free cycling is good in my book

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
I recently got back to mountain biking, snapped two of the plastic type levers, spoke to the halfords bike guy, he sold me a pack of three metal levers for £4.99.
Asked if I was going mad but couldn't remember tyres being so tight on the rims and being able to do it by hand before, he said most tyre manufacturers are making them that tight to stop any rotation on the rim through aggressive use,
He recommended the pedro's too but had none in stock,
My lad had the slime in his innertubes, if it isn't done properly it forms a lump and doesn't work, apparently you have to squirt it in and then spin the wheel to get it evenly round the innertubes,
Never used it as I carry a punture kit and two innertubes as spares, might give it a go though, save weight and saves messing around changing innertubes.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The halfords guy is talking nonsense.

Bike tyre diameters vary manufacturer to manufacturer. The rim height of a wheel rim also varies. So a tyre can be ******* tight on one rim and easy peasy fit on another.

Metal levers are a bad idea on alloy rims, you can so very easily damage the rim. If you do scratch or ding the rim, rub it smooth with something hard, like the handle of a wrench.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE