Beware vampires!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Aaaah! get back you fiend!!!
I am allergic to that allium though I do not have any cravings for the blood of some pretty young lass. ;)

Rob

btw nice crop for the garlic loversgoodjob

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Oh, I love garlic too.

(Im having larder envy; have just sorted though my herbs and spices to see if I have any doubles and if I can decant them into one jar...the unground allspice is now in one jar, but the rest will just have to jam on the shelf. I have a lot of jars, most of them car boot finds, but it saves me having to fork out when I try a new recipe...)

(As an aside, do you think it stupid that vampires allegedly dont like garlic, but they come from Eastern Europe where garlic is common?)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Nice haul :D Good sized cloves too :approve:

You must go through a lot of garlic in a year though.

M

I do, I love a roast head of garlic, smeared over home made bread with just a touch of home made sloe jelly. Heaven!

Neighbours will also take a few bulbs, it goes in everything from chilli to lasagne.

I wish I could grow root ginger effectively, because with garlic, ginger and chilli I can make anything taste good :)

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
......(As an aside, do you think it stupid that vampires allegedly dont like garlic, but they come from Eastern Europe where garlic is common?)

Even more ironic is the grain of truth about it. Apparently garlic eaters body odor repels mosquitos in real life.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I love garlic i bet that smells amazing, i have only grown garlic twice and it was way tastier and smellier than store bought bulbs, the foodie in me envious. I must smell like a Frenchman as i eat a good sized bulb nearly everyday

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
BR - what variety(-ies) of garlic do you grow?

It's one I have produced by selective breeding rather than a true named variety. It's notionally hard necked with large cloves in the corm but it keeps like a soft neck.

I've sold a few on to others and everyone seems to get good results from it

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I can't even smell the garlic on me but i must whiff, i buy a string of 10 large bulbs every 2 weeks and eat the lot, i eat a similar amount of ginger too. I live on healthy stir fries in case anyone was wondering how i could possibly munch all that

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
It is a waste if you do not harvest and pickle the scapes. Most extraordinary condimemt that I buy from another in our Farmer's Marketplace.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Never tried pickling scapes, they usually go in stir fried. Anyone have a tested recipe for the pickles?

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
Try making toast then rubbing a garlic clove over the hot toast before buttering. The garlic melts into the bread and tastes like a little bit of heaven!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Prior to today I had never heard of scapes (and had to look them up) but since you mentioned you love chili and garlic, I spotted this recipe which had attractive pictures... http://www.foodiewithfamily.com/pickled-garlic-scapes-make-ahead-monday/

An interesting recipe but, sad to say, another so called foodie who clearly knows Damn all about food preserving. Why on earth would you refrigerate pickles? Makes no sense at all just as water bath canning jams and jellies is pointless! The US are great at canning but don't seem to understand that things preserved witthh sugar or vinegar don't need to be be!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE