Beware the Pig Nut!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
I try to live life as though today is my last, but plan as though I've got 20 years left - but that's just not enough for this kind of trial/experiment :)

As they say, the best time to be planting trees is at least 30 years ago but failing that, do it this year! :)

That said, I do wish I could have had a word with the guy who owned our holding 30 years ago! :emoji_deciduous_tree:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Pigs aren’t’t a good idea. They’ll devour everything: all the plant and animals within their reach. They’ll eat every snake and lizard on the ground as well as all the eggs of any ground nesting birds. They’ll uproot all edible plants (and to them, almost all plants are edible)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Snakes and lizards are surprisingly rare around here, and are usually found in moorland or in among dampish rocks, tbh.
Ground nesting birds are generally either foreshore or meadow/ farmland, not really woodland.
Pannage has a very, very long provenance in Europe. The annual mast was ideal pig fattening food, and the boar is native to our woodlands.
It's very much part of the cycle of life there.
That they turn over the soil, and fertilise it as it goes, is part of that whole ecosystem.
Our robins are notorious for following really closely any gardener delving.....it's some inbuilt thing in it's wee brain that evolved to follow rooting pigs and badgers and humans with digging sticks :)

Reactions: Nomad64

Nomad64

Nov 21, 2015
UK
Snakes and lizards are surprisingly rare around here, and are usually found in moorland or in among dampish rocks, tbh.
Ground nesting birds are generally either foreshore or meadow/ farmland, not really woodland.
Pannage has a very, very long provenance in Europe. The annual mast was ideal pig fattening food, and the boar is native to our woodlands.
It's very much part of the cycle of life there.
That they turn over the soil, and fertilise it as it goes, is part of that whole ecosystem.
Our robins are notorious for following really closely any gardener delving.....it's some inbuilt thing in it's wee brain that evolved to follow rooting pigs and badgers and humans with digging sticks :)

+1 though as with everything, moderation is the key!

http://www.conservationpigs.co.uk/Conservation

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Pannage has a very, very long provenance in Europe. The annual mast was ideal pig fattening food, and the boar is native to our woodlands.......
The rarity of snakes and lizards there or one of the reasons I mentioned it. Yes, boar are native to Europe but you said you didn’t mean boar so I presumed you were talking about domesticated hogs. Containing them is near impossible and once they get a foothold they expand to any and all be environments (they won’t remain only in the woodlands) yes, the mast crop is ideal for them but they won’t confine themselves to just eating that; they’ll eat anything and everything they can reach.

Reactions: Robson Valley

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
+1 though as with everything, moderation is the key!

http://www.conservationpigs.co.uk/Conservation
Cool article, I like the concept. The real problem with hogs though is moderation isn’t a real possibility. As I commented above, they’ll expand and overwhelm. If, as the article suggests, the goal is control of I’m asive or unwanted weeds, then goats would be a better alternative.

All that said, It seems as if the UK is going forward with using hogs. I hope in a few years I read an article on your success proving me wrong.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE