Pignuts - pic heavy-ish

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
A while back mistwalker asked me to get some pictures of Pignuts. These pics were taken at Dundonald Castle in Ayrshire, there were literally hundreds of pignuts grown on the hillside, everywhere we looked more and more of them. The ground was open to the elements and was well drained. Other places have been very water logged and quite fertail soil, next to a shoreline, and other places have been highly sandy soil. There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule as to the type of soil, but may be wrong about that.

A couple of obvious and basic bits of advice:
  • If you don't know what something is don't eat it. Pignuts are very similar to any number of the group of plants belonging to the umbellifer family, such as hemlock, hogweed etc. etc.
  • As with all foods you haven't consumed before, even those from a supermarket, there is a small risk that you may be allergic or suffer some other reaction. Caution is advised.
Lots of lovely pignuts growing. They generally don't grow more than 40cm or so.
groupshot.jpg

The flower heads :
closeupofflower.jpg

flowercloseup.jpg

This shows both a new flowerhead and an old one:
oldandnewflower.jpg

Here you can see the leave structure, note the thin feathery likeness.
goodpetals.jpg

petals.jpg

stemandpetals.jpg

The nuts themselves vary greatly in size, from almost nothing to well over an inch in size. They are found from just a couple of centimeters under the soil to as much as 10 or more, although most in most cases they are quite shallow. The way to find it is to follow the stem of the plant down to the soil top and as gently as you can remove the soil without breaking the stem, as it will bend off at an angle under the ground. You need to follwo this stem to the nut, if it breaks it can be impossible to find.

These pics show the nut just to the left of the stem, the small brown and cream coloured object. The nuts are covered with a dark skin, which is easily removed with your finger nail or a knife.
groundnut.jpg

nutinground.jpg

If you're careful you should be able to dig the plant out and you will be holding something that looks like this:
rootnnut.jpg

wholeplant.jpg

Just snap the pignut off, scrap the skin off and eat as is, or you can roast them lightly or stir fry them. I like them raw, but also just cooked so they still have some bite, yet the flavour has changed subtly.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Found and ate my first pignut yesterday! Very very smug with myself.
Took the whole plant home and quadruple checked before i put it anywhere near my mouth.
Also found some blaeberries but they weren't quite ripe yet. A good excuse to get out for a walk in a week or two.
Thanks for the photos etc

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Noticed a field full of them today up on the limestone fells in the Dales. Buttercups and Pignuts as far as you could see.
I grabbed a couple for SWMBO to try but she wasn't having any of it, something to do with sheep wee she said.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Sometimes, you get a mutant pignut like this:

Picture010.jpg

There are four plants growing out of that massive pignut, I had to break the knife and fork out to eat it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE