Better than watching TV

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
For less than 50p a day the TV license is fantastic value for money, worth every penny IMHO. All this 'brainwashing' etc is nonsense, verging on paranoia; bottom line is you don't have to leave your TV on all the time, be selective with what you watch.

I'm up early waiting to watch Judge Judy :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I must admit I don't have a telly licence, but then I don't have a telly. It does make me feel slightly guilty as although I'm legally allowed to watch pre-transmitted stuff on I-player I'm not contributing to its upkeep.

Of all the "players" I watch the BBC's the most, usually click on, see what's on Factual/History, then Factual/Science. Then to Lifestyle/Food, Comedy & then Drama. The range of quality factual programs is pretty stunning. Yes there are patterns in the programs following world events. But if you've a modicum of intelligence you know that and don't have to feel "manipulated".

YouTube maybe has a more diverse range and I enjoy time there too. But the amount of drivel that has to be waded through is astounding. What does amaze me is the calibre of commentary from people there though. Without wanting to sound elitist the amount if ill conceived, bigoted, badly spelled low IQ'd drivel leaves me incredulous.

Don't get me wrong though, I find the conspiracy nut stuff fun, some have some salient points. But some of the others are just badly put together pandering's to some easily suggestible people.

C4's policy of making me sign in to watch stuff over a month old annoyed me - I don't like signing in. (There is a YouTube C4 site though - though it's content isn't kept updated too well.)

C5 well there are a couple of things to watch, but their player is terrible for glitches and hanging up.

ITV content pretty poor apart from the ever present "The Professionals" and the odd middle of the road documentary though they do throw the odd good drama at you. Also very difficult to navigate around though the local STV player is better laid out.

Filmon.com, free choked with adds, slow, I don't go there as it annoys me.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Hmmm a bit like growing up in the 70's then.

We didn't have a telly till late on, and I haven't had one for coming up for a decade now. Can watch stuff on I-player type things if I want. But what I like is I have to positively go looking to watch something. Can't come in, pop on the telly and veg. Always preferred reading, and it makes watching a movie on the 'puter more of an occasion. Only reason I have a phone is for work. Don't need it for that but the Doc's think it's a good idea due to health. Pay as you go and I refuse to pick up messages. Speak or text me. The 'puter is nice, apart from talking to folk, email and Skype are the way to get me. (Mrs lives abroad so it's cheaper).

Remember though a TV licence is for TV receiving equipment. Only in rare circumstances will they allow you to have a telly or video and believe you don't watch the BBC on it. Even without an ariel.

Also like the radio. Radio 4 is my mainstay, no c****y music and entertaining informed chat. Plus you can do things and listen to the radio.

More and more of my friends are getting rid of their telly's too, I think the way folk use the medium is now changing, though it has meant that in order to circumvent the increasingly advertising savvy internet you have to take more precautions.

I still have a TV, a new one, and shall continue to have one. I like some of the programmes, films, videos, iPlayer etc and it's far, far better viewing than on the computer! I love Radio 3 & 4 too, am very happy to pay my license so the Beeb keeps going. BUT I learned very early on where the "off-switch" is and how to use it !!! You don't have to be addicted to TV, nor do you have to watch the news-propaganda and suchlike crap - there's this thing that changes channels when you press buttons so you can choose, along with the off-switch !!!

. I also like watching fire - woodstove or outdoors - reading, spinning, knitting, weaving, writing, painting, carving and now Eric's got me into leatherwork (!), gardening, sitting, walking, talking to Hubby, playing with friends, going to the pub ... the list is endless :)

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I still have a TV, a new one, and shall continue to have one. I like some of the programmes, films, videos, iPlayer etc and it's far, far better viewing than on the computer! I love Radio 3 & 4 too, am very happy to pay my license so the Beeb keeps going. BUT I learned very early on where the "off-switch" is and how to use it !!! You don't have to be addicted to TV, nor do you have to watch the news-propaganda and suchlike crap - there's this thing that changes channels when you press buttons so you can choose, along with the off-switch !!!

. I also like watching fire - woodstove or outdoors - reading, spinning, knitting, weaving, writing, painting, carving and now Eric's got me into leatherwork (!), gardening, sitting, walking, talking to Hubby, playing with friends, going to the pub ... the list is endless :)

I'm with you there Elen, we've talked before about my default setting - Radio 4. Love it, such a mix of news, interesting features, erudite and entertaining presenters and top notch comedy. Plus it can play away in the background and not rule my life. In most folks houses they come in, flop in front of the telly and veg. I can still read a book, cook, do stuff and listen to the radio.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I must admit I don't have a telly licence, but then I don't have a telly. It does make me feel slightly guilty as although I'm legally allowed to watch pre-transmitted stuff on I-player I'm not contributing to its upkeep.

Of all the "players" I watch the BBC's the most, usually click on, see what's on Factual/History, then Factual/Science. Then to Lifestyle/Food, Comedy & then Drama. The range of quality factual programs is pretty stunning. Yes there are patterns in the programs following world events. But if you've a modicum of intelligence you know that and don't have to feel "manipulated".

YouTube maybe has a more diverse range and I enjoy time there too. But the amount of drivel that has to be waded through is astounding. What does amaze me is the calibre of commentary from people there though. Without wanting to sound elitist the amount if ill conceived, bigoted, badly spelled low IQ'd drivel leaves me incredulous.

Don't get me wrong though, I find the conspiracy nut stuff fun, some have some salient points. But some of the others are just badly put together pandering's to some easily suggestible people.

C4's policy of making me sign in to watch stuff over a month old annoyed me - I don't like signing in. (There is a YouTube C4 site though - though it's content isn't kept updated too well.)

C5 well there are a couple of things to watch, but their player is terrible for glitches and hanging up.

ITV content pretty poor apart from the ever present "The Professionals" and the odd middle of the road documentary though they do throw the odd good drama at you. Also very difficult to navigate around though the local STV player is better laid out.

Filmon.com, free choked with adds, slow, I don't go there as it annoys me.

You see, I get really peed off subsidising the catchup TV crowd, you want BBC radio and TV? pay your fee. 50p a day...pay it and watch what you like. Your hard pushed to buy a Mars bar for the same money so it ain't rocket science to pay and enjoy what you want without having to try and justify your viewing habits from some sort of higher ground :(

mousey

Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
there's this thing that changes channels when you press buttons so you can choose, along with the off-switch !!!

You mean a really big long stick - you have to be quite accurate with that :) alteratively you have to actually get up to change the channels [althought that's getting on abit]

The BBC is great and is responsible for some really great programms - I just find it odd how other institutions can provide similar services with no charge.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
You mean a really big long stick - you have to be quite accurate with that :) alteratively you have to actually get up to change the channels [althought that's getting on abit]

The BBC is great and is responsible for some really great programms - I just find it odd how other institutions can provide similar services with no charge.

Can you expand on that, give examples please.

resnikov

Its called advertisements and product placement within the show. I stopped watching live TV ages ago. Sky+ then i can skip past all the adverts. I will never listen to commercial radio due to the adverts. 6 Music, Radio 4 and Radio 2 for me.

hobson

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Devon
We have a TV but because of our remote location only get about 8 channels, and rarely watch those.
My sister, who's a full on townie cannot understand how we can love living in the country so much, we're about 15 miles from the nearest town, and at most times of day the only thing i can hear is the river!

She's said before 'don't you get bored?' and i've replied 'yeah, the six acres of woodland, four acres of caravan site, three acres of private household land and three dogs all look after themselves!'

I'd rather spend an evening with my wife, splitting logs, carving, building, creating, or even having a walk around and making a 'to-do' list for the next day, than be sat in front of a TV.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
You see, I get really peed off subsidising the catchup TV crowd, you want BBC radio and TV? pay your fee. 50p a day...pay it and watch what you like. Your hard pushed to buy a Mars bar for the same money so it ain't rocket science to pay and enjoy what you want without having to try and justify your viewing habits from some sort of higher ground :(

He's doing nothing that the TV licensing rules doen't allow so no reason to be peed off surely? The 'OK to watch if not live' rule was put in place knowingly and is not a loophole. There is no harm in taking advantage of it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
He's doing nothing that the TV licensing rules doen't allow so no reason to be peed off surely? The 'OK to watch if not live' rule was put in place knowingly and is not a loophole. There is no harm in taking advantage of it.

Cheers Huon,

I didn't have a telly before I had a computer. I read, did chores and listened to the radio. When I eventually got a computer I checked out all the legalities even turning down a free monitor at one point because it had TV capabilities and I didn't want to break the law. I don't watch TV enough for me to justify shelling out for a full licence, and there is no Pay As You Go option with the BBC.

We can all get squirrely about paying for things we don't use, in taxes I've paid for my education and as I've opted out of having kids I'm now paying for your kids and grandkids to go to school.

For years I patched myself up rather than bother the NHS - I'm getting my money's worth now though.

I do think the BBC will have to look at how they're funded in the future as TV habits are changing. More and more folk are perusing the box via the web. TV licence fee income will drop. And what a pity it will be if we loose Auntie BEEB as though she has many detractors on these boards I think it's a dam fine service and institution that's envied around the world.

GB.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

Oh boy, there is, I happily pay my fee and others leech off the funding I help provide so yes, peed off I get :rolleyes:

You want to watch the beeb live or not then pay the fee, if not then have the common courtesy to refrain. Funding for auntie does not come from the money fairies, its from people like me. People who use the 'I don't watch live TV' argument are nothing more than thieves so sod them if they don't like the label but its all they are...common or garden thieves and nowt else sponging off the likes of me and other license payers.

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Cheers Huon,

I didn't have a telly before I had a computer. I read, did chores and listened to the radio. When I eventually got a computer I checked out all the legalities even turning down a free monitor at one point because it had TV capabilities and I didn't want to break the law. I don't watch TV enough for me to justify shelling out for a full licence, and there is no Pay As You Go option with the BBC.

We can all get squirrely about paying for things we don't use, in taxes I've paid for my education and as I've opted out of having kids I'm now paying for your kids and grandkids to go to school.

For years I patched myself up rather than bother the NHS - I'm getting my money's worth now though.

I do think the BBC will have to look at how they're funded in the future as TV habits are changing. More and more folk are perusing the box via the web. TV licence fee income will drop. And what a pity it will be if we loose Auntie BEEB as though she has many detractors on these boards I think it's a dam fine service and institution that's envied around the world.

GB.

We're the same. No TV, no live feeds and practically no old stuff either. I find it hard now to be comfortable in a house with much TV. It seems intrusive.

Interesting that some people are so keen to make the BBC's business decisions for them. I'm sure the beeb has pretty good reasons for their business models. Life's stressful enough already without adding to it with indignation over something that is perfectly legal.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
That looks very much like North Wood to me. Now look what you have started. You can get Chanel 5 on the North Wood tv. We can only get BBC and ITV on our Steadhall one but the main problem is someone getting up to change channels.

Jul 3, 2013
United Kingdom
Problem is you still have a receiver (your TV) and therefore still able to receive a broadcast signal.

They have to prove that you not only 'can' but 'are', and they can't - this stuff about 'detectors' is just a sham. The only people who get fined are the ones who cough to it (my wife likes the telly for sport and we do buy a licence by the way). The people who turn up on your doorstep asking about TV licences have no authority at all - they don't even work for the BBC, they work for Capita. You can just tell them to do one.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
The thread was originally about fire gazing "Bushcraft TV" but has fragmented off into several topics about TV licensing and the like so I am closing it before it gets worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE