Best wood to burn..?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The mad welshman

Tenderfoot
Apr 29, 2012
Louth. Lincs
Heres one for you folks..
A mate of mine has just bought a Kelly Kettle and he asked me which wood burns the hottest ? any ideas..? I think I should say that I know that Kellys are designed to burn anything...I my self would say pine would be a good bet because of the resin..any other ideas..?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Possibly in the wrong place but im sure a mod will move. Ash burns super hot and would be my choice. But the king of all fuels is pringles. I saw it with my own eyes lol

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
simple answer is dry wood. all those comparitive charts you see and the old poems about which wood burns best etc all equate to the same thing, wood that has a high moisture content eg green elm or poplar don't burn wood with low moisture content (green ash or larch) or dry elm or poplar burn well. In a kelly species is really pretty irrelevant just collect a nice bundle of dry twigs.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
You could always make yourself charcoal if you wanted to melt the thing. process would be similar to making char cloth but on a bigger scale..lol

I've always removed the base as its so tricky and put the kettle straight onto an existing fire, for a fuel Id use a selection of dry standing wood - not wood off the ground, or green wood

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
simple answer is dry wood. all those comparitive charts you see and the old poems about which wood burns best etc all equate to the same thing, wood that has a high moisture content eg green elm or poplar don't burn wood with low moisture content (green ash or larch) or dry elm or poplar burn well. In a kelly species is really pretty irrelevant just collect a nice bundle of dry twigs.

Pretty much that^ All dry woods have as near as dammit the same BTU value weight for weight. Its just that some woods are simpler to dry and denser so it takes less wood to make up the weight.

jorn

Forager
Aug 26, 2011
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
In my experiance ( and i do like my fires:campfire:) i have found that dry elm gives of tremendous heat. more so then oak or cherry. But it's hard to come by because of the elm disease. I should know, i'm Dutch...

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Beech-wood fires burn bright and clear If the logs are kept a year; Store your beech for Christmastide With new-cut holly laid beside; Chestnut's only good, they say, If for years 'tis stored away; Birch and fir-wood burn too fast Blaze too bright and do not last; Flames from larch will shoot up high, Dangerously the sparks will fly; But ash-wood green and ash-wood brown Are fit for a Queen with a golden crown.

Oaken logs, if dry and old, Keep away the winter's cold; Poplar gives a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke; Elm-wood burns like churchyard mould, E'en the very flames are cold; It is by the Irish said; Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread, Apple-wood will scent the room, Pear-wood smells like flowers in bloom; But ash-wood wet and ash-wood dry A King may warm his slippers by.

Anon.

WOOD FIRES POEM

Beech wood fires burn bright and clear, If the logs are kept a year. Oaken logs burn steadily, If the wood is old and dry. But ash dry or ash green, Makes a fire fit for a queen.

Logs of birch wood burn too fast, There’s a fire that will not last! Chestnut’s only good ,they say, If for long it’s laid away. But ash new or ash old Is fit for a queen with a crown of gold!

Poplar makes a bitter smoke, Fills your eyes and makes you choke! It is by the Irish said, Hawthorn bakes the sweetest bread. But ash green or ash brown Is fit for a queen with a golden crown.

Elm wood burns like churchyard mould, Even the very flames are cold. Apple logs will fill your room, With an incense -like perfume. But ash wet or ash dry For a queen to warm her slippers by!

WOOD FIRES POEM 2

Logs to burn, logs to burn, logs to save the coal a turn Here's a word to make you wise when you hear the Woodman's Cries, Never heed his usual tale, that he has good logs for sale, But read these lines and really learn, the proper kind of logs to burn. OAK logs willwarm you well, if they are old and dry; LARCH logs of pinewood smell, but the sparks will fly BEECH logs for Christmas time YEW logs heat well SCOTCH,it is a crime for anyone to sell BIRCH logs will burn too fast, CHESTNUT scarce at all HAWTHORN logs are good to last, if cut in the fall. HOLLY logs will burn like wax, you should burn them green; ELM logs are like smouldering flax, no flame to seen. PEAR logs and Apple logs they will scent your room CHERRY logs across the dogs, smell like flowers in bloom. POPULAR logs the "matchstick" wood, left to thoroughly dry; will make the best kindling to light your fire by. But ASH logs, so smooth and grey, burn them green or old Buy all that come your way as they are worth their weight in gold!

from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk 2

Jul 13, 2012
Abermule
A good wood I've found out about recently but seems everyone else knows about is Maya Sticks or Fat Wood....

Resin filled Pine wood from chopped down pine trees... not sure how hot it burns but easy to light because of all the resin in it...

Regards

Dave.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
Birch is a good one, hot and fast, but the wood that's handy is the one to use.
I haven’t used a Kelly Kettle personally but open Pine cones should work very well, we used to have a coal fire in our old house and when we wanted hot water fast we would throw on a bag of pine cones and within minutes we would have to turn the hot tap on just to let the steam pressure off.

Last edited:

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
There is plenty of info here. I don't know if it's any good but it seems comprehensive and well researched. I just tend to burn whatever is dry and close by.

http://zenstoves.net/Fuels.htm#Wood

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE