best wood for a slingshot?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

robotchicken80

Tenderfoot
Nov 12, 2012
Verden (Germany)
Hi guys

I want to give it a try and attempt to make a slingshot.

Any particular wood that you would recommend? I will go this weekend on a "wood harvesting" trip.

Cheers

Toni

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Don't think that the wood matters, as long as you look for something that has a nice wide 'Y' shape where both sides of the fork are at about the same angle from the main stem, and about the thickness of your thumb or middle finger.
I would be more concerned about the shape, than the type of would, as long as you do not pick something hollow like
elder. You should be able to test its strength, by just gripping the ends of the fork and pulling or pushing them. If you grip the handle with your thumb and first finger well up the sides of the fork, the way my Grandfather taught me, you will be supporting the wood anyway, but remember to move the hand that you are holding the catapult with down sharply as you let go of the part holding the missile, otherwise you may well hit the back of your hand. You do not require long ends on the fork,just about the same length as the handle. I used to be able to hit a target the size of a 50 p from across a country road, but I have not used one for years , though I still have one. If you take "Y" as a pattern you will not go wrong.
Only certain woods tend to fork into equally sized branches, most have a thick leg and a thin one, but I forget what
wood I used. If I remember I think wood from a Broom bush is fairly strong for its thickness. I would also suggest that
you use 1/4 square or round elastic sold in Gun shops, sold for the purpose, rather than the hollow stuff you get on modern bought catapults. Split the ends of the fork and wedge the rubber in then bind the wood shut at the ends to hold
the rubber tight. Best of luck and good shooting.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
I used some 3/4" plywood and cut out a catapult. I did look for "natural" bits, but found this was easiest as I could make it the shape I wanted. I used theraband bought from ebay to make the strips.

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
My father thought that I was a rubbish shot one day when we were out for a walk, I gave him a try and he did not drop his hand as he fired. He never forgot again, as he struck the big knuckle at the base of his first finger, and nearly smashed it to bits. I had never herd him swear before, but he certainly did that day. He was a city lad and had not used one before.
I think he thought that the stone should pass between the sides of the fork,like firing a rifle. He learned quickly, much to my amusement as a young lad. Not really funny, looking back. Feel sorry about it now.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
My father thought that I was a rubbish shot one day when we were out for a walk, I gave him a try and he did not drop his hand as he fired. He never forgot again, as he struck the big knuckle at the base of his first finger, and nearly smashed it to bits. I had never herd him swear before, but he certainly did that day. He was a city lad and had not used one before.
I think he thought that the stone should pass between the sides of the fork,like firing a rifle.......

I've been using them all my life. That's exactly what they're supposed to do!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE