Best wet-weather poncho?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Zen-

Jan 1, 2013
Glasgow
Hi everyone,

On my last trip outdoors I used a Mil-tec poncho that I loved for a plethora of reasons, namely the press studs, size and fabric. I was curious to know if anyone else has used wet-weather ponchos extensively and what they found to be the best one and why?

Regards,

Zen

Darwa

Forager
Apr 12, 2013
Cambridge
I use the Poncho-Tarp from Tenth Wonder.

I like the size (it's rather large), the fact it seems to be almost indestructible, can be used as a shelter/groundsheet (and indeed has been by me), the way the 'sleeves' are formed with the extra flappy bits, and of course, the way it packs down into almost nothing.

I have the green version, but here's a rather enthusiastic video review here if you fancy a peek :) The Poncho is worn at around 5 mins and used as a shelter around 12 mins 30 secs.

Last edited:

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I have 2 US military ones (woodland camo and ACU) and a belgian army one which i tend to vary between. They are very robust! I love them!

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
snugpak poncho

5404.jpg

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I had a snugpak one for some time but found it annoying. With the arms i found i overheated more than a standard poncho and sweat buckets in it.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Swiss Alpenflage 'walk-in-wardrobe', roomy enough that it'll cover you and your average camp chair. An oddly effective camouflage too, if you don't mind looking like Davros' mother :yikes:

The Polish Plash Palatka (the shelter half thing) is pretty good too.

Both are heavy but quite resilient :D .

I have a cheap-o one that was given to me by my parents as a gift. They often try to support my hobbies, but rarely get the quality of gear I would get for myself (although I appreciate it all the same :))
Used it in some nasty weather last year on a 4 day canoe trip in mid-summer. Kept me nice and cool and also dry as a bone. It is OD green, 7.5 x 4.5' rectangle with a hood in the middle with a draw string, taped seams around the hood, 6 grommets (1 in each corner and 1 on each shoulder), two loops on each the left and right sides inside the poncho (not sure of the purpose), and snaps down the sides.

In light of my usual over packing I've decided to take it in lieu of a full tarp on trips where heavy rain isn't expected. I've also added a grommet to the middle of the front and back to make it easier to run a ridge line. Haven't tested it out as a tarp yet, but if it is as good as it was a poncho, it'll be a great piece of kit.

May 27, 2013
Poland
Cold-war period Polish army "palatka" ;)

palatka.jpg

It will probably outlive me (and my unborn kids as well), you can use two of these to set a simple tent (half of aluminum pole for such tent is added to each "palatka") and it's made of heavy-duty canvas without any fancy coating, so you can burn fire next to it and if it starts leaking you just mend and wax it. It's also ugly as hell and heavy enough to initiate gravitational collapse. I hate it T_T

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Best wet weather ponchos will be the British or Austrian poncho. My favourite is the US poncho lighter but not as good in heavy rain

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Best wet weather ponchos will be the British or Austrian poncho. My favourite is the US poncho lighter but not as good in heavy rain

Depends on how old they are. I don't know exactlt when they switched but the older US ones were a heavier rubber version of the newere nylon ones. I still have one of each (both were issued to me way back when)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've used a DD poncho for the past 3 years and I can't fault it; it's had very heavy use as poncho, tarp and groundsheet, been trodden on by various dogs and even horses on occassion and when washed clean by a heavy downpour it looks the same as the day I bought it..........

I've made two in the past from waxed cotton, both of which worked well and were nice to wear, but very heavy to carry and really REALLY warm.........had to stop using them because of it...............atb mac

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I've used a British issue patt 58 poncho for years. Tough, well made but heavy.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
I have the trekmates pack poncho. As a poncho to cover the pack with its a nightmare to put over whilst wearing the pack, and when its on it covers 3/4 of the pack so you need a rain cover anyway. Very lightweight nylon with armholes.

The advantage is its manufactured with a HUGE REAR END (!) like a pantomime horse, so your wearing a mini tent. You can sit in hammering rain completley covered including hiding your pack underneath too, whilst cooking a pan of Bacon, or just for a rest.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE