Best wellies for under £50?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
I know they are not the chosen footwear of the typical bushcrafter, but I need some hassle free footwear soley for the purpose of dog walking.

Where I go it gets extremely boggy in places after medium to heavy rainfall and I just could not be bothered anymore cleaning/drying my waterlogged Meindls/Cats off every single night. Hence the need for some wellies.

So can you good folks recommend some? - I have a max of £50 to spend, unless there is a benchmark gold-standard Rolls Royce of wellies out there, then perhaps a little more. :D

Thanks,
Leon

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I'd go up to £75 and buy some Avon Muck Boots, I have them and they are brilliant, best willies I've ever had :).

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
So can you good folks recommend some? - I have a max of £50 to spend, unless there is a benchmark gold-standard Rolls Royce of wellies out there, then perhaps a little more. :D

Thanks,
Leon

I like Grubs Stalkers, but they are £75. These look close for £40

431007-olv-gen.jpg

http://www.rydaleclothing.co.uk/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=24388&idcategory=81

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Im not 100 per cent sold on neoprene for areas of excessive mud/damp. Especially the ones where it starts low down on the boot.

I forgot to mention, I'll also be using the as a hunting on farm boot too where the mud and muck comes up pretty high.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Im not 100 per cent sold on neoprene for areas of excessive mud/damp. Especially the ones where it starts low down on the boot.

I forgot to mention, I'll also be using the as a hunting on farm boot too where the mud and muck comes up pretty high.

I got six years out of a pair of Grubs, smallholding (in the fens), shooting etc. No leaks at all.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I would recommend the stalkers too. If you are on a tighter budget then think about spending less on the wellies and more on insoles and socks ;)

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I got a pair of Le Chameau wellies last year for £70 for exactly the reasons in the OP; I've always found it impossible to walk, or even to be comfortable standing in, wellies of any description; these were the best £70 I've ever spent. They're comfortable and don't boil my feet and I often walk 3 or 4 miles in them without noticing, and best of all, if I need to drive into town for bank or P.O. or shops, no laces to mess with!

I know it's outside the budget stated, but going up that extra twenty really is worth it.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
<£10 Dunlops seem welly of choice for the local outdoor workers round here and a couple of the lads I know who go out killing Mr Bunny. Bung in some Odour eaters and off you go.

Dave-the-rave

Settler
Feb 14, 2013
minsk
I'm a bit confused about this neoprene malarky. I thought divers wet suits were made of neoprene and any one I ever wore got wet.

Last winter I got chatting to an old guy down on the coast somewhere. He was loading a hundred weight of spuds onto a scooter
and he wore a pair of neoprene gloves which were way to big. He looked like a truck had run over his hands but he said they were
the warmest gloves he ever had. Said he got them from an Equestrian shop for a fiver and that they were totally waterproof.

I mean he had hands like Coco the clown and was tying down half a field of tatties onto a 125 scooter with a bungy but he got me curious.

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
Thanks for the recommendations folks. :)

Ive been wearing an old pair I found in the parents garage that are a size too small yet still fit suprisingly well. Bit of a cop out I know but I will revisit this thread when these ones wear out.

Im now a wellie convert, they are great, especially on days like this.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE