Suggestions for a stove? Under £50 (if possible)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
I need some advice on a new stove. I'm looking for one I can use for camping and long fishing trips. This a piece of kit I have previously not given all my attention, so I would like to get one that will be a good all rounder.

I've got some good cooking equipment, but the 'buy a stove and buy the cartridges to go with it' type have never really been my thing.

Any suggestions or advice would be very much appreciated :) If I need to go to £75 I can, but hopefully the January sales will help bring something down to the £50 mark!

Thanks! :D

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
For stationary cooking close to the car this is the best option:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-portable-gas-camping-stove-p142491
Cheap to buy, cheap to run (pack of cartridges of ebay should give you about a pound per can), comfortable to use.

For cooking on the go this is my favourite:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-blaze-titanium-gas-stove-p158215
Wide burner and great flame control makes it a very good, light and fairly inexpensive stove.

If you want to avoid butane than choose one of the trangia systems:
http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/product-search/text/trangia?view=grid&w=trangia
Slow but bomb proof and silent

Your last option would be a multifuel stove but they are noisy, complicated, require maintenance and you won't get anything branded on your budget.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Just go simple and get a gas stove. I have been looking for a torch from Alpkit and they have a new gas stove product have a ook at that to start with.

The one I use mostly will Not be suitable Hexi stove so go for a simple and easy to use Gas stove.

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
This is REALLY useful! Thanks for this information, and I have a Go Outdoors just down the road :)

I think the Trangia does look quite good, but to be honest I need something which can brew up quite quickly, and I think maybe Butane will offer me that.

I just watched the video on the MSR site about how to use their stoves, and as nice as they are they really are a complicated procedure if you're just after a tea or some soup. So I reckon the Hi Gear one is going to be my best bet :)

This is MUCH cheaper than I though, I expected to jump from the cheap one I have (the first option you listed) to something around £50, but the Hi Gear one looks like it's offers the compact nature I'd like :)

BigThanks BigMonster :)

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
@MikeLA - Good to hear another vote for the Hi Gear, I think gas is definitely going to be my best bet, and for £20 I really have nothing to lose on that!

...Go Outdoors is a dangerous place for me though ...I tend to go in with an empty trolley and leave with a full boot ;)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
some more info would be good, whats it for, boiling water of cooking large meals, what stoves have you used before, what fuel type are you after, what do you like the sound of and how fast does it need to be?????

is it your first stove?????

for me brewing up in the woods and on days out its my hobo stove on wood fuel if i can or with a home made meths burner, cost in total is about 10 pounds, but its slow, but then im happy with that because im just chilling out, if im camping then a fire if i can (i just like them) or a gas stove, about 12 pounds will get a pocket stove that packs down very small, gas is about 5 pounds a tin, or the jet boil if im on the move walking and need to do things fast, you can get another make for about 65 pounds delivered from amizon, you can tell the difference in quality though, not so robust....:( then you have multi fuel stoves, very expensive but very good in cold weather, you have problems with gas when it gets cold....:(

lots to think about, and really all up to you, the choice is dependant on what your going to be using it for most mate....

hope this is of some help.

chris.

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Get the 750ml titanium pot from alpkit (40 pounds) and this stove will fit perfectly inside next to the small gas canister (which gives you about an hour of cooking).
Just teasing you :D

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
All good things I think I need to make sure I consider. It will mostly be for tea/soup in UK all seasons, and possible food in the summer camps.

Looking at Go Outdoors I think a wind shield is imperative, as the last stove I had was good (my first, was the first option listed by BigMonster) but I really had to keep the wind off with the case (as with any stove), so a foldaway shield would be a good addition to the cook kit :)

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Get the 750ml titanium pot from alpkit (40 pounds) and this stove will fit perfectly inside next to the small gas canister (which gives you about an hour of cooking).
Just teasing you :D

Looks like my 'January Sales' money is beginning to be spoken for already :D

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Do not buy a wind shield!! Expensive for what they are, heavy and bulky.
Grab scissors and make one in about 30 seconds from a beer can or a aluminium turkey tray. Weight nothing, cost nothing, cut to shape will fit inside your pot, disposable.
Tip: punch air holes with office punch and join what needs to be joined with the stapler :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Can't go wrong with a Coleman multi fuel stove, a little bulky but they last and you don't have to worry about gas

woodmunky

Forager
Oct 3, 2006
Surrey
Grab scissors and make one in about 30 seconds from a beer can or a aluminium turkey tray. Weight nothing, cost nothing, cut to shape will fit inside your pot, disposable.
Tip: punch air holes with office punch and join what needs to be joined with the stapler :)

Good tip, I'm all for the DIY option.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
This is similar to mine, had it years
6e2a3uta.jpg

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got a multi fuel pressure stove that boils quick but sounds like a jet taking off. Not to heavy but the sound terrifies me.

Used a gas stove for a while but never felt happy with it. Not tried any of the newer models.

I love my honey stove for bimbles in the woods where I'm not in a rush. Packs away small and isn't heavy.

My Kelly kettle used live in my work truck and was always fun to use and got people talking. I wouldn't want to carry it around though.

My trangia has seen close to 20 years service and is my fall back stove of choice. Easy to use. Comes with pans and a kettle in a small compact bundle.

If I'm car camping I like to use the frontier stove with dutch ovens

Properly hasn't helped you much but hopefully show that there is lots of choices :)

Let us know what you choose.

Orric

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

Heavy? They are aluminium?

I've been using the same one for over a decade and am very happy with it - can't abide the ones made of foil - they blow away in a wind. Each to their own of course but I find foil ones to be fiddly and far less efficient.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE