Best ways to cook on the fire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
The best way too cook over a camp fire is in my opinion to hang a pot with a bail under a tripod.

I prefere using a metal chaine which has in the end an open hook. Like that you can put a stick under the bail to get your pot away from the fire.

With experiance this chaine can be replaced by a cord, what is of course lighter in the rucksack if hiking. The best is to use a cord of natural fibres, cotton for example.

(In the pot you just throw all what has eyes and parents. ;) )

Reactions: ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD
Sep 8, 2020
the world
The best way too cook over a camp fire is in my opinion to hang a pot with a bail under a tripod.

I prefere using a metal chaine which has in the end an open hook. Like that you can put a stick under the bail to get your pot away from the fire.

With experiance this chaine can be replaced by a cord, what is of course lighter in the rucksack if hiking. The best is to use a cord of natural fibres, cotton for example.

(In the pot you just throw all what has eyes and parents. ;) )
thank u for ur answer, i never tried to hang the pot like that, i will try one day

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Plastic fibres can melt if a beginner gets the fire too high. The plastic cord is faster melted through than a cotton fibre rope set in fire and burned.

I recommend to use a chaine in the beginning and keep the fire so small as if there would be a rope to train this.

I have a thin stainless steel string. It's light and doesn't burn or melt so fast. You get it in yacht shops and connectors too. I recommend to think about what you want to construct and to do it in the yacht shop, because it isn't so easy to cut it with usual tools.

Another option would be a bicycle shop.
But that's less good in the result but more expensive. I just mention it because not everybody can reach easily a yacht outfitter.

Art galleries sell such thin steel ropes too. They hang the pictures with it from rails. Art galleries don't hammer pins into the wall for each exhibition.

For the connection of the wire rope could also be used the inner metal part of an electric insulation screw joint. That's ones more less good and clean and genius. But a stainless steel bicycle break wire rope and two of this brass inners of a usual electric insulation screw joint everybody in the world can get somehow. That's why I mention it.

In the yacht shop you get the best stuff without any doubt, but you must bring your open hook with you. They usually don't sell them, as well as the bicycle shops don't do it.

(Get thin but strong cordage in the boat shop as well, by the way. The light stuff they sell is better for hiking to attach your tarp or poncho as a shelter than Paracord! 2,5 mm high quality cordage from a good boat shop is usually strong enough but ultra light. )

Last edited:
Reactions: ASIANGIRLINTHEWILD

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Another name for the stainless steel wire rope that Erbswurst speaks of is "aircraft control cable."
If they sell the cable, they sell the crimp fittings. Two of those and not even Houdini will open the loop.
It's common (1/8") in live theater as safety cable on overhead lighting fixtures.

aris

Forager
Sep 29, 2012
UK
I certainly would not be using a Teflon pan. Carbon steel, or if weight is an issue - aluminium.

rustybigend

Aug 19, 2020
Kettering
my way is to use a stand made from two y sticks and a crossbar that i hang a stainless bottle from with a chain. it holds 1l of water which is enough to rehydrate food and enough left for two cups of tea.
i use an msr titan kettel with a reflectix pot cozy. so it goes make stand, make fire, boil water, make tea and assemble the food, bring food back to boil and place in cozy, drink tea then eat. the rest is history

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE