best way to wax canvas pack?

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Hi
iv got a 58pattern canvas pack that im trying to pimp into a nice waxed canvas and leather pack. Iv seen a few waxing methods uncluding a spray and the block type were you heat the pack then rub on the wax. Im wondering what method is best to realy get into the material properly, also i presume waxing will make the canvas a little more rigged but will it also darken the canvas.
Thanks alot

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I use the rub on block type, used it on canvas packs, coats etc.. It is great and does darken it slightly. Easy to re apply in the field by rubbing the wax on near the fire...

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
Fabsil is a long-established liquid treatment. I think it's silicone-based. I've done a canvas tent with this. You paint it on - it soaks right in - leave it to dry, and water beads up nicely and runs off. It doesn't seem to stiffen or discolour the canvas (although my tent is white), and is supposed to last a long time (years rather than months).

Fjallraven's 'Greenland Wax' is a solid wax blend that you iron into your fabric. Their clothing is mostly polycotton, but I can't see why their wax method wouldn't work on pure cotton canvas too, although it might be difficult to get an iron around your pack. There are instructions on their website, and on YouTube.

If you're worried, maybe try whatever treatment first on a small patch of your pack somewhere you can't see.

It also occurs that cleaning the pack first would probably help make any waterproofing treatment more successful. There are various special cleaners sold for this, but I think the basic principle is to use a pure, soft soap as opposed to a detergent (which can stick and screw up the waterproofing), and make sure it's well rinsed out.

I think what you're doing is interesting - it'd be good to see how you get on! :)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Thanks for all the help lads. Pignut what block type do you use mate
hobbes il look up that treatment it sounds good. Il be sure to post some picks when its done iv got a fair way to go yet though as its got no shoulder straps or anything yet but il try to get it done for next weekend. Thanks

hobbes

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Devon, UK
I don't see why not. That Greenland Wax I mentioned is a blend of beeswax and paraffin- (candle-) wax. Beeswax has a relatively low melting point, so it might go a bit soft and greasy if the pack was in the sun I suppose. I don't know. It might get stiff and 'crack' too, especially in the cold. Depends on how much you put on maybe. Is there a part of the pack you could try it on, where it wouldn't show? I think if it remained flexible it would work ok. No oldskool pack can ever be 100% waterproof anyway.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Thats brill mate thanks alot i think im going to order some parrafin and beeswax as that look realy good. Cant wait to see how it turns out. Alot of leather work to do though cheers buddy

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Mine is home made "Greenland" wax I use it on my fjarllraven jacket, canvas bedroll, snow smock both my canvas packs (and a leather knife sheath!) and it is fine. If you pm me your addy I have loads, I can stick a block in the post to you.

Simply rub it all over and use a hair dryer to melt it in... Repeat and jobs a good un!

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Pignut sorry i missed your offer mate but thanks alot very nice of you :)
well i got my parrafin wax and bees wax today for a few quid. So i set about mixing and melting to make greenwax then let it re set and iv just gave my pack its first coat using the hair dryer method and i must say im over the moon and hooked, i tried the pack under the tap and water just beads so its worked a treat, il give it one more quick coat tomorow to make sure iv covered it all.
And i think iv got enough wax left for a lifetime.
Il post pick once the packs totaly finished, just waiting on my brass buckles.
Thanks for all the great help

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Mine is home made "Greenland" wax I use it on my fjarllraven jacket, canvas bedroll, snow smock both my canvas packs (and a leather knife sheath!) and it is fine. If you pm me your addy I have loads, I can stick a block in the post to you.

Simply rub it all over and use a hair dryer to melt it in... Repeat and jobs a good un!

I could use some for my britches an pack ;)

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
It has only just crossed my mind that I could probably do this to my Finnish army respirator bag that I use as my work bag. Not bushy, but given how often I end up standing ion the rain waiting for a bus after work, it might not be a bad plan.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE