Best way to clean a sandy bergen?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ashes1627

Nomad
Nov 13, 2010
North Walsham, Norfolk
Hello. I was wondering what the best way to clean a sandy bergen is? I recently got an ex-issue bergen which is quite sanded, and it would be nice if I could give it a bit of a clean. If they cannot be cleaned thats fine, it still works :)

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hello. I was wondering what the best way to clean a sandy bergen is? I recently got an ex-issue bergen which is quite sanded, and it would be nice if I could give it a bit of a clean. If they cannot be cleaned thats fine, it still works :)

1. Wait until mum goes out...

2. fill bath with cold water

3. place bergen in bath

4. submerge and allow to become wet

5. scrub bergen with handy nail brush or mums washing up scrubber

6. Note how water in bath is becoming dirty

7. Drain bath and refill with fresh clean water

8. repeat steps 5 - 7 as often as required until bergen is clean or water no longer becomes dirty

9. remove bergen from bath and allow to drip dry

10. clean bathroom before mum comes home

11. Make mum a cup of tea on return home as insurance against your bathroom cleaning skills not being up to her standards.

or altenatively you could go and practice your river crossing technique using the bergen this has a similar effect.

Do not use soap it strips the vial oils out of the bergen and it looses allyness... Unless it's an old DPM Berghaus those things are ally to the core..

HTH

John

Last edited:

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hosepipe, stiff hand brush. lots of elbow grease.
if it's a dpm one, it might not be dirt, it just might be that faded!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE