Best water filter ever ?

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
More info

The ÖKO Level-2 filter (provided - 580 refills life!) produces efficient filtration with a powerful flow. Our patent-pending Upstream Valve™ returns any backwashed fluid into the “unfiltered” water area for re-filtration and to ensure that every sip is pure, fresh & clean. Originally developed through a NASA grant for space stations, it is now available for consumer use. Simply put, it is the state-of-the-art in water filtration technology. In addition to a 2 micron pore size, the material utilizes a positively charged electro-adsorption (attraction and retention) process to draw and trap harmful agents much smaller than its pore size. Charge fields, activated upon water contact extend 1micron each to virtually close the pore to any intruding agents. Using built-in silver ions, the material then kills bacteria upon contact. A stack of over 400 such pores in the 0.8mm thickness of the filter create a “tortuous path” which a harmful agent would have to travel through in order to make it across.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
here's a question...........would this filter take your average english lake water and make it safe to drink ?

Depends on the lake! Some lakes I'd drink the water as is, others I'd filter seven shades out it then still not bother drinking it. And unfortunately with folks going abroad and bringing back exotic bugs and beasties then not following loo protocols whilst camping near water sources and contaminating them it's going to get worse. They recon that Giardia spread totally around the US over a 10 year period from this very problem.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
It looks good. Nasa tech must be where Webtex and Aquapure got it from too ! They are brilliant technology, turning the yellowest marsh water clear . If it is the exact spec of the others, you can filter stagnant water !

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
More info

The ÖKO Level-2 filter (provided - 580 refills life!) produces efficient filtration with a powerful flow. Our patent-pending Upstream Valve™ returns any backwashed fluid into the “unfiltered” water area for re-filtration and to ensure that every sip is pure, fresh & clean. Originally developed through a NASA grant for space stations, it is now available for consumer use. Simply put, it is the state-of-the-art in water filtration technology. In addition to a 2 micron pore size, the material utilizes a positively charged electro-adsorption (attraction and retention) process to draw and trap harmful agents much smaller than its pore size. Charge fields, activated upon water contact extend 1micron each to virtually close the pore to any intruding agents. Using built-in silver ions, the material then kills bacteria upon contact. A stack of over 400 such pores in the 0.8mm thickness of the filter create a “tortuous path” which a harmful agent would have to travel through in order to make it across.

With all this going on in the filter, I reckon that it should cope with any of the nasties found in British Lakes and pretty much any other water source. The flow rate looks good and, if they're to be had for £23 off ebay, what's not to like?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
With all this going on in the filter, I reckon that it should cope with any of the nasties found in British Lakes and pretty much any other water source. The flow rate looks good and, if they're to be had for £23 off ebay, what's not to like?

Probably fine for all but the worst of UK water but it's irrisponsible to say any other water source as even OKO admit if you read their website.

[h=4]About Our Rating System[/h]Even though our water bottles with filters have been successfully tested for a variety of waterborne microbial agents, we feel that specific claims could mislead users into drinking potentially unsafe waters. Instead, we base our rating system strictly on the availability of safe water in each country. We carefully maintain our water safety rating system using available data on worldwide water conditions compiled from the WHO (World Health Organization), UNICEF, the UNDP (United Nations Development Program), The World Bank, and the (NRDC) National Resources Defense Council. If you live in or are thinking of visiting any country listed on the chart below, note the recommended ÖKO filter for the water conditions in that region.
ÖKO RATINGAVAILABLE "Safe" Water(Relative to % of Population)ÖKO RECOMMENDATIONSÖKO FILTER
•••••99-100%Generally safe and regularly monitored municipal water in cities and rural areas. Water taste, odor, chlorine and mineral levels may be variable. ÖKO L1 filters are recommended to enhance the flavor of the water and provide extra protection.L1
••••96-98%Generally safe piped water, but some water may contain harmful agents —especially in rural areas. ÖKO L2 filters are recommended to protect against variable water quality.L2
•••93-95%Questionable water quality. Even though locals may be drinking piped water, travelers must use caution and be selective with their choice of water sources in these countries. ÖKO L2 filters are highly recommended to improve water conditions.L2*
••89-92%Water deemed generally unsafe for drinking. Biological purification highly recommended. ÖKO custom L3 filters may be available in some countries.L3
•88% & BelowNot rated for ÖKO products. Does not meet potable water standards. All water used by travelers should be adequately treated before drinking.NR*
[h=5]WARNING : DO NOT USE ÖKO FILTERS WITH MICROBIOLOGICALLY TAINTED WATER OR WATER FROM UNKNOWN SOURCES[/h]

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... for £23 off ebay, what's not to like?

The video is what I'd call a party trick. I'd have been more impressed if he'd gone outside and taken up a manhole cover. I haven't looked into this product more than glancing at the video and if you know that the information is there somewhere I'd be grateful if you'd point me to it.

In view of recent developments in the bomb detector field, rather than trust my health to a sales pitch I'd like to see some independent reports verifying the filter's performance, produced over a decent time interval by responsible reviewers with access to decent laboratory analysis.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
The video is what I'd call a party trick. I'd have been more impressed if he'd gone outside and taken up a manhole cover. I haven't looked into this product more than glancing at the video and if you know that the information is there somewhere I'd be grateful if you'd point me to it.

In view of recent developments in the bomb detector field, rather than trust my health to a sales pitch I'd like to see some independent reports verifying the filter's performance, produced over a decent time interval by responsible reviewers with access to decent laboratory analysis.

http://www.okoh2o.com/onthego.php Info on the filters.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire

I was really responding to the video clip posted. I'd never seen that particular party trick done and, to my addled mind, it did seem impressive. It would appear that the manufacturer's own website puts paid to any thoughts I might have entertained about it being useful in the wilds; I think I'll stick to my MSR filter, along with good ol' boiling just to make sure.

As an extension to your later point, you do have to be wary of 'independent' reports. Some are not all that they claim to be. I reckon that the School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, Red Cross, the U.N. - that kind of body - would be the sort of groups to trust.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE