Best type of sharpener for a newbie??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jollo74

Aug 9, 2010
Germany
Hi Grendel,
There are already several great threads on sharpening here on this forum :D. Here's one of them:
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65138&highlight=

As with almost all things in life there is no universally right answer: it always depends :rolleyes:. In this case the kind of grind you want to sharpen.

Cheers
Jörg

P.S. I have a basic Lansky system too and I use it on every new flat ground knife to put a nice and even bevel on it. [IMHO the Lansky system is the simplest and best system for max. 5" inch flat ground blades. The basic system is all you need (but you may want more:rolleyes::lmao:).]
Once the bevel is set I keep it sharp with ceramic rods and strops.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Reading all the reviews on all sorts of Sharpeners the Spyderco Sharpmaker keeps coming up tops for idiot proof sharpening.

So have just parted with £45 for one just don’t tell the wife.
:twak::buttkick::nutkick::crutch:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Reading all the reviews on all sorts of Sharpeners the Spyderco Sharpmaker keeps coming up tops for idiot proof sharpening.

So have just parted with £45 for one just don’t tell the wife.
:twak::buttkick::nutkick::crutch:

IMO a sound investment and with a strop and a tube of autosol its all the sharpening gear you need, and not something you are likely to wear out or waer out.
As somebody over the weekend said to me......"you buy once, you cry once"

Do the Breadknife's kitchen knives and she'll soon be back on side!

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Well had my Spyderco Sharpmaker a few weeks now and with the Strop and compound from Longstrider all the knives are now shaving sharp as my arm hair can testify with all the odd square bald patches where I test it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE