Best tool for sharpening a Machete

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have a DC4 and another knife sharpening block I got from Aldi, but I can imagine it taking an age to sharpen the long Tramontina Machete I have. I was thinking maybe an Axe sharpener would do the trick and as I need to purchase one for my Gransfors I could kill two birds with one sharpening stone?

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
The belt sander is out as I'm broke. I do have a file though, but wouldn't that reck the blade? What is the mouse mat method?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I use either a cheap combination stone or scythe stone and a file on more agricultural type blades.

Found this on You-Tube. Made by a member here, goes by the name Pict on the forum and Colhane on Y-T.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVHeKNbRXgc

Hope it's of interest.

Cheers,
Pete.

Yup, that's a great vid, but just keep in mind that the Ontario and a Tram are two different beasts. The Ontario is much more heavy duty.

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I use a flat chainsaw file for dents and edge rolls,but in normal circumstances a scythe stone is up to all my needs.Same is used on a billhook and on an axe

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE