best tool for cooking fish and

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Hi just windering the best stove etc for cooking fish and or rabbit or bird for long treks, everyday use. approx 80- hopefully 120 days of consecutive use , so a brand thats hard wearing andlong lasting and lightweight. Or maybe 2 different tools, maybe a type of jetboil etc
Thanks

Adam

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Where are you going for the trek? This could affect available fuels...

What altitude are you walking at? This affects fuel performance...

Stoves are a personal choice...what one loves, the next hates.

Trangia are self contained and hard wearing...get a gas conversion and you have the best of all worlds.

If in an area of iffy fuel availability, then it has to be a multi fuel.

I wouldn't consider the jetfoil unless you only cook simple, boiled, food. It is a one trick pony unless you buy the adapter and frying pan.

Hth,

Simon

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
A jet boil is only really good for heating water/wet meals and certainly not meant as a stand alone all purpose expedition stove
I think you might be best with a combination of a woodburning stove and a meths stove

You have plenty of options ranging from Ti versions of honey stove coupled with a Trangia burner-very nice indeed but pricey

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product576.asp?PageID=0

You can get much cheaper woodburners of course and you could make a hobo stove

but for ease of use and robustness not to mention VFM I would get a Swedish army Trangia stove

http://www.factsurplus.co.uk/product/57

I have cooked rabbit and fish in one and a lot more beside

You can use the base unit as a woodburner but I have not done that as I have just used a fire-the hook is for hanging the big pot over a fire

Fuel re stock will be your problem over 80-120 days I would guess

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
i don't think i'd be looking towards any variety of camping stove to cook game, if you already have permission to hunt/trap/fish/camp for 80-120 nights then surely it can't be difficult getting that permission extended to lighting a cooking fire.

what kind of stove do you usually use to cook your game on?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Hi just windering the best stove etc for cooking fish and or rabbit or bird for long treks, everyday use. approx 80- hopefully 120 days of consecutive use , so a brand thats hard wearing andlong lasting and lightweight. Or maybe 2 different tools, maybe a type of jetboil etc
Thanks

You mentioned on an earlier thread that you plan to walk around the UK coastline, is that still the plan? A fire on the beach may be all you need to cook some shellfish and a simple cheap camping gaz stove will keep you in coffees, teas, pasta etc. Easy to pick up canisters too.

Is you plan to attempt to trap, hunt and fish on this trip? Catching rabbits and other game is a tricky business when you are sat in one area, much harder if you are on the move.

Hopefully you are aware of the laws which cover hunting, trapping and fishing, if indeed the coastal walk is still your plan?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Jetboils are just water boilers, not great in the winter either due to design restrictions. Swedish Army alcohol sets are heavy and sloooow and really your stuck with the two pans you get with it. If your budget can stretch to it go for a Primus Omnifuel, uses paraffin, gas or Coleman fuel, petrol at a push. Very high heat output and its simmers very well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LMC4...&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B000LMC4U6

One of these turns it into a Jetboil
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120713429084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but in truth is not needed with this stoves performance anyway.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
You mentioned on an earlier thread that you plan to walk around the UK coastline, is that still the plan? A fire on the beach may be all you need to cook some shellfish and a simple cheap camping gaz stove will keep you in coffees, teas, pasta etc. Easy to pick up canisters too.

Is you plan to attempt to trap, hunt and fish on this trip? Catching rabbits and other game is a tricky business when you are sat in one area, much harder if you are on the move.

Hopefully you are aware of the laws which cover hunting, trapping and fishing, if indeed the coastal walk is still your plan?

Yeah, the snaring is part of the survival pouch im putting together, the survival pouch is not part of the trekking gear, its for desperate measures,
fishing river food I could barely do even in survival measures, not really keen on the taste of mud, ill disoriantate at some point and have to.

But I need the gear. As lighweight and prefer as compact as possible, ill disoriantate at some point and have to.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Another vote for the Swedish Primus Omnifuel for what you want to do. I have the standard and the Ti version. The Ti is incredibly light for what it can do. Both'll simmer perfectly very easily as it has two valves on the fuel line. You really can cook properly on them.

I'm using it along with an Ikea hobo stove to enable cooking on wood fuel too, but if I was following coastline, I'd junk the hobo and just have a driftwood fire.

Like Rik, I'd recommend the Primus pots. The non-stick coating on them is very good quality.

I have the Trangia 27 system with the Omnifuel mounted inside but I don't think its worth the extra bulk and weight in the UK for most uses outside of winter.

multi

Banned
Jul 16, 2012
dorset
Jetboils are just water boilers, not great in the winter either due to design restrictions. Swedish Army alcohol sets are heavy and sloooow and really your stuck with the two pans you get with it. If your budget can stretch to it go for a Primus Omnifuel, uses paraffin, gas or Coleman fuel, petrol at a push. Very high heat output and its simmers very well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000LMC4...&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&ref=asc_df_B000LMC4U6

One of these turns it into a Jetboil
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/120713429084?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649 but in truth is not needed with this stoves performance anyway.

That omnifuel seems a descent item, I intend to spend a maximum of £350 on cooking gear for my trip, but would always prefer something thatll last the trip and then continue using it for treks afterwards

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
That omnifuel seems a descent item, I intend to spend a maximum of £350 on cooking gear for my trip, but would always prefer something thatll last the trip and then continue using it for treks afterwards

Unless you stand on it, it'll outlive you. ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales

The Omni will outlive you. The pots with heat exchangers to make a difference, you could easily save 25% on fuel.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think ill make a miss on the jetboil, the jetboil sounds awesome to have around camp though

If you have the Omni you are gaining nothing buying a JB to be honest.

Re: cooking fish, a frying pan is ideal, you can fry, poach etc. Forget cast iron, far to heavy look at the Tefal 'Red Spot' non stick pans, they are superb. You can always remove the handle and make mods if a handle is an issue.

Last edited:

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
To cook fish properly you need a deep fat fryer, any other method is just a waste of good fish (and batter).

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
To cook fish properly you need a deep fat fryer, any other method is just a waste of good fish (and batter).

Do you do deep fried battered Mars bars for afters Rob;)

On a serious note about deep frying, something I've only seen in brum and the black country is deep fried mushy pea fritters......they are yummy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE