Best thing for finger bandaging.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
This takes me back...

Mum had type one diabetes, and that was with complications, this eventualy killed her.

She suffered all her life with ulcerated (and worse) toes.

Consequently from a young age I got used to the smell of ulcers (not nice) and that dreaded `U` shaped applicator....

I have plenty of experience in dressing appenditages!

I will get a roll on tube for fingers for my FAK, and forget all i remember concerning that bit of plastic.

Or should i get latex ones? or shaped plasters?

What do yu have for fingers in your FAK?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
......and these are very useful to keep damaged fingers clean and dry. They do get a little sweaty if you're working hard though, but at this price change them as necessary.
They're used by manicurists and tattoo artists to keep their fingers clean. They fit well over bandages and elastoplasts too.
200 for £2.68 delivered. I keep a few in every first aid kit

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200Pcs-W...468501?hash=item520e31e255:g:kd8AAOSwznZbalnz

M

Jan 13, 2018
Rural Lincolnshire
I (regularly) use the same as Toddy

It doesn't seem to matter what I'm doing - tightening a nut, changing a tyre, or peeling veg - I always seem to be getting cuts on my fingers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/200Pcs-W...468501?hash=item520e31e255:g:kd8AAOSwznZbalnz

Small bandage (rather than a plaster) then roll it on and Robert's your Fathers brother.

I also keep some of the similar (but larger) for emergency water carriers.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I really like those little eye-dressings for decent digit cuts.. Certainly for the initial dressing.They are basically just a small gause/pad on a thin long bandage.

The other bonus of the large white dressing is it minds the patient its there and stop them using/bashing it :)

Once its knitted then remove easily and go for a plaster and some tape to keep it in place. If its a nice clean cut then steri-strips are even better.

Last edited:
Reactions: plastic-ninja

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
The problem I find with a plaster, is that as my finger bends and straightens, and as it rubs (getting things out of my pocket, working, etc), the plaster comes off. Then the wound re-opens and I get blood on my clothes and the wound gets dirty.

A bit of gauze, some micropore tape or a little bit of bandage, covered with a nitrile or latex fingerstall, gives more protection and holds the dressing in place.

Could just keep it simple. Remember a bandage is used to keep a dressing in place.
Any material will make a dressing. In an ideal world it would be clean and sterile.
However, in an emergency situation any clean material would do.

a simple solution a peice of steril gauze, this is normally found in every first aid kit and is included in the small First Aid kits found in the pound shops.
now to keep it secured if you have finger cots great, if not put on a rubber glove on

you could go next level and cut the fings off a rubber glove giving you 5 covers, again secure the base with and tape and you have a waterproof covering.

Im a fan of multi uses for items rather that multi items with a single use

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Rubber glove bits will make the finger sweaty, an ideal environment for bacterial growth.

I get quite a few nicks on my extremely soft hands, and wearing gloves for around 6 hours a day prolongs the healing.

I find that the 'watertight' plasters have a bit of the same effect.
Wounds need to be clean dry and protected from further trauma for quickest and most scar-less healing.

Reactions: Native Nathan

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
For years I have been a firm believer in Micropore. It is so porous that one can leave it on for a long time. It gets dirty but with some use of an antiseptic it can be kept on until it wears off or the wound is no more a problem.

Reactions: Janne

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I mustn't be a worker because it's rare I cut fingers. That'll change if I get into carving any time soon so I'm listening in.

Got a stupid ski cut last week. Boy those metal edges are sharp. Fortunately the ski locker has a sink and plaster dispenser. Must be a common mistake among the English newbies to skiing.

I think a lot depends on the cut. I've had some finger cuts so fine that if I close them up with pressure they stay closed. Not shallow or surface cuts in some cases. I still plaster them for the rest of the day but allow the plaster to fall off over night.

bigbeewee

Dec 18, 2010
worldwide
I’ve been a survey/remote/hostile environment medic 17 years and before that an RM medic

gold standard finger dressing for me will always be a small cut to size patch of gauze/pad covered with a tegaderm dressing that covers whole finger.

about as solid and bullet proof as you will get if done properly, fully protects the wound, won’t eventually slide off like everything else. Plus you can still monitor the digit visually and allows for mobilisation. Plus it’s a very streamline solution

takes a bit of skill, you are manipulating a very thin tacky film

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TEGADERM-F...r_1_1?keywords=Tegaderm&qid=1578899907&sr=8-1

slightly more expensive than plaster but genuinely how happy have you ever been with plasters as wound dressings especially in the field when it’s wet and you need to keep to a task

having said that the areas I work in guys use a full range of gloves from very thin dipped gloves for fine tasks all the way up to impact gloves so it’s quite infrequent that I see superficial digit lacerations, mainly sloppy cooks

Reactions: Nomad64

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I tend to leave things to their own devices, but if something really needs protecting I use electrical tape, maybe a bit of paper towel too if it won't stop bleeding

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
It is not bad, to be frank...
The Kleenex (?) looks nice and clean!

Rarely, I manage to cut my finger, usually with a diamond tipped bur, when working.

Unable to have a plaster on the finger as the surgical gloves must fit very snugly for the tactical feel.

It looks awful when the blood fills the space between the glove and finger.
I have one box of dark lilac surgical gloves for these rare occasions.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE