Best tarp material

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
Hi fellas what would be the best material to make a tarp from also what would be a good size to make thanks phil.:)

jim.b

Maker Plus
Jul 3, 2013
hull
I use 4oz pu coated ripstop nylon for mine. Nice and light, easy to work with and easy to seal, I make mine 3.4m x 2.8m which is just the size I prefer for myself.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It depends on how you define best :)

Lightest I'd say has to be cuben fiber, closely followed by silnylon or spinnaker. But for bushy trips where there's a camp fire involved then I'd go for polycotton or canvas.

For sizes I'd go for 2x3m for ground dwelling, for hammocks I'd have a minimum of 3x3.5m

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
If weight is not an issue I love my qax cotton one!

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
As Shewie said - depends what your after, lightweight, fire resistant, cost?

I made mine from 1.1 oz ripstop nylon [£1 metre from fabrics n stuff :) got loads so if I mess any projects up I've got plenty and it's cheap] It was uncoatd so I've proofed it myself - added cost & weight.

2.8 x 2.4m which I feel is a bit too small for a hammock, gonning to add another metre = 3.8 x 2.4

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands
Think I would like a canvas one would say around 8x8 hoping to have a bash at it my self would cotton webbing be strong enough for loops for tying of ?

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Think I would like a canvas one would say around 8x8 hoping to have a bash at it my self would cotton webbing be strong enough for loops for tying of ?

Think about the size of your tarp in relation to the width of your cloth. 3m x 3m (ish) tarps are easy because most cloth comes 1.5m wide. A tarp 8' x 8' would have you cutting a foot off your fabric. Some of the excess would do for reinforcement but there'd still be a lot of waste.

Cotton webbing would probably be strong enough (dependent on the quality) but polyester would be more durable and much nicer to work with when wet.

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Hi fellas what would be the best material to make a tarp from also what would be a good size to make thanks phil.:)

As others have mentioned "best" and "good size" is subjective and what would be best/good size for you may not be for others so you will need to be more specific and give relevant info before anybody could answer your question properly for you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE