Best Spoon/Hook Knife

Erdbeereis

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2011
Nebraska, USA
I think I'm ready to graduate from my Mora spoon knife to a better hand made one. Which maker is your favorite? I've been thinking about one of the standard hooks from Pinewood Forge. I like these because the shipping is reasonable because I'm in the US and so is the company.
http://www.pinewoodforge.com/catalog.html

I've also thought about the medium hook knife from Ben Orford. I'm just not sure how much shipping to the states would cost me.
http://www.benorford.com/CarvingTools.aspx

Finally the ones from Dave Budd look pretty good. I'm not sure on how to order from his website though.
http://www.benorford.com/CarvingTools.aspx

What are you guys' thoughts on these spoon knives? Are there any other makers that I should look in to? If anybody has any info on shipping that would be great. :)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Hi
No expert by any means so just my thoughts
Ben Orford makes great carving tools and his spoon knives are no exception
Dave Budd is well known in these circles and a great maker I am sure if you contact him via here or British Blades he will sort you out very nicely
FYGT AKA Dorset Woodland Blades is also of note
I own 3 Dorset Woodland blades and one Ben Orford all quality tools and all very different
I am sure they will all ship to US but these days that can be expensive

I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence; so that has meant that I have always had a hankering for a Del Stubbs blade and for you that's the easiest option (in the first instance anyway lol)
Robin Wood is the best man to advise and I believe he has done comparison reviews He will probably be along shortly

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Also consider Nic Westerman who goes by the username nic on british blades. His spoon knives are the best I've used and there's not many I've not used to be fair. Hair poppingly sharp, nice bevel to aid sharpening and a lovely radius.

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
I'll second that, I now have 8 or 9 of Nics blades (he's a member on here too.) and they are the best i've used. I own blades from most of the other makers too and they all work well but Nic suit me better. Being in the US you wouldn't really go wrong buying Dell stubbs blades, they are beautifully finished and cut really well.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
I use three of Ben Orfords and can't fault them, and have used Mora which are OK and have have handled one of Duncan's which looked and felt good in the hand, I must give it a try when I have access to it again.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I have also used a few, and have a few and love my Dorset woodland blade one it's his handle profile it's perfect.

Erdbeereis

Tenderfoot
Dec 31, 2011
Nebraska, USA
What are the prices of the ones from Dorset woodland blade? Where would I order one? I see the links from their website, but the websites linked don't seem to stock them.

One more thing, are these spoon knives the same as the FGYT ones I've seen online?

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I have used the majority of the hooks that are on the market. The mora straight knives are great but the hooks sadly not as good as they should be. If I was in the US I would definitely buy Del's, they were the first good hooks I used 15 years ago long before most of the other makers mentioned had thought of making them, they haven't changed they still work. A second excellent alternative easily available in the US is Hans Karlsson from Drew Langsner at Country Workshops.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I am currently using a knife from Svante djarv which to me is a really pleasing knife yet my only other experience is a Frost from mora and as many people before me said, it wasnt what you would want it to be.
Yours sincerely Ruud

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I like the large Svante Djarve hook and many folk get on well with the small one, they were some of the first hooks we could get in the UK and what Ben Orford based all his first hooks on. They work well.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Ben orford is not only a top bloke but his work is brillaint. I have a medium spoon knife of his and it performs brillaintly.

With the exchange rate I can imagine costs will rack up, so if you can find simular quality but made closer to home i say that. if money isn't a facotr then go with Ben Orford!

Simon H

Nomad
Feb 20, 2008
The Ashdown Forest
Another vote for Del Stubbs. I went up from Mora spoon knives a couple of years ago to Del's stuff and I think they are excellent, certainly upped my game anyway. I also have a largish Ben Orford crook knife for bowls etc which is also excellent. Being your side of the pond though I'd go for Del STubbs to save on the postage and import duty etc.

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
The tools of North Bay Forge are a little different in shape from typical hook knives, but they are exceptional tools.

http://www.northbayforge.com/rec_sel.htm#maintarget

Over the years I have accumulated 4 different curved bladed tools from North Bay and each one has worked very well. They do require a slightly different technique than more traditional hook knives, but they are easy to learn.

On the other hand, with a bit work I have converted all of my Mora's into comfortable, easy to use tools as well. But when I think of purchasing another tool, it's typically one of the custom tools that I dream about.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE