Best roofing material for cabin

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I am making a man cave/cabin at some point soon. It will be perminant. What is the best roof material, it needs to be able to accomodate a stove pipe

Sent from my GT-I8190N using Tapatalk 2

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
I could really do with a step by step guide to making something bespoke lol

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Remember Dick Proenneke using a butyl rubber sheet, a pond liner if I remember correctly. Though he built a stone fireplace & chimney.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I am making a man cave/cabin at some point soon. It will be perminant. What is the best roof material, it needs to be able to accomodate a stove pipe

If it's going to be permanent then heavy weight bitumen roofing felt will perfectly adequate and a lot better than a pond liner.

As for the chimney you just need to fit a flue jack and you won't have any problem

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Would this be ok through a wooden roof?

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
If it's going to be permanent then heavy weight bitumen roofing felt will perfectly adequate and a lot better than a pond liner.

As for the chimney you just need to fit a flue jack and you won't have any problem

Thats whats on my cabin.

Good luck!.

C.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
A friend has tried a few different types in his woodland. The best in the end was corrugated tin roof which was lined and insulated.
Has no problems with the wood burning flue. It is timber framed with beams from the woodland. Ship-lapped outer again with timber from the woodland. The inner is lime dorbed.
Also be careful to put in a good stone and lime base so stop the lovely woodland creature digging in and setting up home.

He has thought about wooden shingles which were quite therapeutic to make but after a few dozen and some quick mental arithmetic we were scared off.

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
sorry. I meant the flue jack... would I get the clearance to stop the roof setting on fire?

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Profile sheeting , strong, easy to fit, no thermal issues with a flue, doesnt require as much material to support it, and lasts for ever. Shop around and ask for offcuts if you're on a tight budget. You can always paint it if you get different coloured bits

Bit noisy in a hailstorm, and the edges are sharp. Wear gloves while handling and fitting it. Once it's on though, is pretty much fit and forget

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep, wriggly tin is easy, tough and cheap - did my whole barn in it - very happy. You can even get clear profile to make skylights

nickliv

Settler
Oct 2, 2009
Aberdeenshire
ususyvyt.jpg

Here's a work in progress pic of my mancave from a few years back. Ring round for prices, there's a hell of a difference. Iirc I paid about a tenner a square metre including all the flashings.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE