Best Plant For Cordage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
When I was a pre-teen my brother and I accidentally discovered that the milkweed plant in the Fall could be stripped on the outside and a very strong string or cord obtained. Since then I have wondered what other common plants have a similar characteristic - could come in handy...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
No, I agree, nettle is excellent and the most widely available.
Willow is wonderful if taken at the right time, and even at the wrong time, when the bark comes off in little bits, it still makes really good rope, it just needs more preparation.
Most of the bulbs produce good fibre rich ropes from their wilted tops, daffodil, crocus, iris, gladiolii....all strong and lasting too. The little lobelia is actually a member of the flax family and makes good rope as well. Flax is superb and so is hemp. Elm and lime bast are brilliant, chestnut is good, so is honeysuckle and bramble and briar.
Even grass makes a good rope and the leaves from oats, wheat, barley and the cat tails make fine string. Rush rope is used for basketry and the little field rush stripped down and twisted and laid makes a really strong, neat string. Heather makes a coarse but long lasting rope that survives well in water.

cheers,
Toddy

Ralph

Forager
Oct 31, 2005
lost
In my experience I have found that, when prepared the right way, many barks can be pressed into use as strong cord. I have even managed to use things like dead hawthorn bark, and once or twice, sycamore, although the results weren't brilliant. At the right time of year I quite like to use willowherb as well.:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE