best place to hammock up in east scotland???????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shropshireman

Nov 3, 2007
shropshire
anyone got any special places where i can can have three days of hammock and tarp time?? In east scotland im going up this bank holiday to see friends they cant think of anywhere thats covers wot i want (without paying that is !) i want fishing ,fire,peace... Thats all!
If anyone could throw a few ideas at me would be most happy
Cheers???? shropshireman

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Where abouts in East Scotland North or south. theres some nice area's in the Cairngorms
(ive been to Linn of Dee and Bob Scotts bothy)beautiful scenery,rivers forests etc,and i live in the south east ,not really hammocking country but some nice quite beaches so you get your peace,fire,and fishing needs.

shropshireman

Nov 3, 2007
shropshire
thanks for the reply andy...my mates live in dundee so any where really as long as its not a huge journey from there ....we are aiming to be dropped off so we can walk in to our camp ????????

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Shropshireman, I'm in Fife, which is on the other side of the Tay from your mate's place.

First of all, in Scotland we have traditionally had far more freedom to roam than our southern neighbours, and I believe, sadly, that it's reflected in the new Access Laws. You have a right of access anywhere in Scotland, with the exceptions of closed MOD land, railway lines, etc (not entirely sure here). But provided you use common sense and don't set up camp in someones front garden (although I did inadvertantly haul a kayak out of a river in the dark, hung my basha and had a wee fire in someones garden once. No-one should have a garden that size anyway!) you can go where you please. I do!

You also have a statutory right to camp for one night! Use it or lose it!

The use of fire is not included in the access code, but if you find a wee corner somewhere no-one will bother you unless you have a blaze going or a plume of smoke. Stealth is safe!

The trout season starts on 15th March and you can fish in tidal waters without a permit. There is a Protection Order on the Tay System which means that you MUST have a permit to fish for trout anywhere in the Tay System, including all tributaries and the River Eden in Fife. The tidal influence on the Tay extends as far as Perth and the legality of compulsory permits in tidal waters is questionable.

There have been a number of legal actions taken against people fishing for trout and grayling in the Tay but the vast majority of them have been kicked out of court. This is not the case concerning salmon, as it is against the law to fish for or take salmon anywhere, including tidal waters, without a permit.

So far as I'm aware, there is no legislation in Scotland concerning course fish.

Between Dundee and Perth, or up the A9 between Perth and Dunkeld would be good places to be dropped off for a couple of days/nights. There is plenty of natural woodland where you can disappear at will. Be aware though that this is MacBeth country, where Birnam Wood moved to Dunsinane, so look out for people dressed up as bushes and give them a wide berth... and watch the Bogles dinna get ye!

My strategy is to take a look at the map for a likely spot and head off. It's really big for a wee country.

Go for it Big Boy, and welcome to Scotland.

Cheers.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
You could do worse than Tentsmuir forest and Kinshaldy beach which are by Leuchars about 20 mins on the bus south of Dundee. You can hammock on the edge of the forest, have your fire in the dunes and fish on the beach. Its a special kind of place.

listenclear

Nomad
Aug 19, 2008
East lothian
Dunkeld is one of my favourite spots but after locums post i'm definately going to check out tentsmuir. It's alot closer to where you'll be too...
Have fun!

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I know Tentsmuir forest well and it's a bonny spot, but it's a bit exposed as the only thing between the beach and the Hook of Holland is 750 miles of North Sea. It's gusting over 40 mph as I write.

I'd recommend lighting a fire in Tenstmuir Forest as much as I would in any other forestry plantation, and my advice there is to avoid it like the plague... and no, it isn't the closest woodland to Dundee!

As for fishing, the beach is of such a shallow gradient that casting as far as a good beachcaster will fire a lead might take you into 3 three feet of water if you're very lucky, or know the few deeper channels.

Any water there is either from stagnant pools and ditches, or has shed from the surrounding farmland. Why drink that when you have the option of water running straight off the hills.

I'd still recommend visiting Tentsmuir when you're up, but not for what you're looking for, Shropshire, unless people out dog-walking, joggers and school parties are your idea of heaven, and it is well used for such purposes.

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I know Tentsmuir forest well and it's a bonny spot, but it's a bit exposed as the only thing between the beach and the Hook of Holland is 750 miles of North Sea. It's gusting over 40 mph as I write.

I'd recommend lighting a fire in Tenstmuir Forest as much as I would in any other forestry plantation, and my advice there is to avoid it like the plague... and no, it isn't the closest woodland to Dundee!

As for fishing, the beach is of such a shallow gradient that casting as far as a good beachcaster will fire a lead might take you into 3 three feet of water if you're very lucky, or know the few deeper channels.

Any water there is either from stagnant pools and ditches, or has shed from the surrounding farmland. Why drink that when you have the option of water running straight off the hills.

I'd still recommend visiting Tentsmuir when you're up, but not for what you're looking for, Shropshire, unless people out dog-walking, joggers and school parties are your idea of heaven, and it is well used for such purposes.

Ah come on, you can easily find a sheltered hammock spot in the woods and the dunes are fine for a wee fire. Fair point on the fishing though.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Locum, yes, you're dead right.

But my dream bivvy does not have a fire 1/2 Km away from my bed, Ha ha!

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I'd overlooked Glens Clova, Prosen, Isla and Finlet, Locum. Braw country!

There's still a lot of forestry there but with plenty of more open space around the edges, with good water coming off the hill and nobody to bother you.

I'd go there right this minute given half the chance.

Try looking at Glen Prosen (NO 290 680) and Glen Clova (NO 284 760), NNW of Kirriemuir (is there not a song about Kirrie) on the map, Shropshireman. I've spent some happy days in Clova and The Doll.

Out of sight, out of mind... but watch the Bogles.

Last edited:

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Shropshireman, I don't think anyone has said that Tentsmuir is on the most NorthEasterly point of Fife.

Cheers.

redsalmon

Jun 12, 2010
divot
locum's 1st suggestion is good, perhaps not for 3 days, but it is a special place to get away to . i tarped in Tents Muir last night and camped before; the beach not the wood though, too many mossies under the trees in June ... good fire from the drift, mebbe too good - couple o' smelt holes in the canvas now ...

a river there flows from the first garden and has been fished for many many years, where the fishing is fine for wee flounder and maybe some silver; at lower tides you'll see the net and coble spots and i think the survey mentions them; probly have to scare the seals off first though, they've not been hunted here for a century!

and tho' "there's no a wood in all the world, to match in all its finery, the wood around Dunkeld", it's much drier in Tents Muir than it is at places further west, the rain fades away (a bit) after Atholl where the 'water running straight off the hills' will oft have run through your hair first.. so yes, it's a good idea to take water with you if you opt for the beach. I guess it can get windy tho' , was wavy today kayaking an in tide against an offshore wind .

And there's a few people around, there were 6 this long summer's sunny morning and bright afternoon, and none on an evening where i could have fallen into the clouds alone. You'd be lucky to see so few by a Birnam oak or in Angus.

anyhoo, you must have had your bank holiday banow Shropshireman; pray tell, was it bogs, boughs or beaches ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE