Best phone for gps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,

Wasn't sure what part of the forum to put this in so feel free to move it mods.

I was hoping to tap into some of the info on tap here regarding gps chips/phones that people are using at the minute.

I no pretty much all modern smart phones have a gps chip built in, but I'm after a bit of feedback on which one is best.

An example of this, right now I'm unfortunate enough to be using a iPhone 4S, and tbh the gps is utter carp!!!

Even sat in my house right now with it plugged into my wifi my location is a good half a mile out, it's next to useless using it without cell coverage.

I can't even use car navigation apps on the stupid thing!! I've used google maps and the turn by turn navagator countless times on my android phones with no issues at all.

I no that the best sort of gps is going to be a stand alone unit dedicated for the job, but I would like to use a mobile phone for a couple of reasons, an old phone will be a lot cheaper than buying a proper touch screen gps unit, plus I can charge a phone easier than taking battery's etc out with me. I also very much like the view ranger app!!

Has anyone else looked in to similar things? Or is a simple thing that the newer smart phones use the same chip?

I've done some research and am aware of the fact that the phones generally use cell signals to triangulate the location, but I have also seen reports of people just using a phone, and we all no that cell coverage is rubbish in some remote places.

Cheers

Steve

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Well if you're looking for something to replace the 4S and want an Android device but not too expensive I would recommend a Galaxy S2 or Note 1. All the GPS in Samsung phones are good and do the job and plenty of GPS based apps to help with Navigation instead of been limited by iOS and its toy like functionality.

Or if you dont mind spending some pennies and want a bigger screen get a Galaxy Note 2 or 3.

With regards to triangulation is done either via Cell signal, Wifi (doesnt matter if your connected or not) or pure GPS signal which is obviously much more accurate.

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Well if you're looking for something to replace the 4S and want an Android device but not too expensive I would recommend a Galaxy S2 or Note 1. All the GPS in Samsung phones are good and do the job and plenty of GPS based apps to help with Navigation instead of been limited by iOS and its toy like functionality.

Or if you dont mind spending some pennies and want a bigger screen get a Galaxy Note 2 or 3.

With regards to triangulation is done either via Cell signal, Wifi (doesnt matter if your connected or not) or pure GPS signal which is obviously much more accurate.

Hi Adz, thanks for the reply pal!

I'm not looking to upgrade or change my toy iPhone right now, it will be a separate phone with a decent battery life and a pay as you go sim in it that I use just when I need to follow way points etc.

I'm not sure how old the samsung phones are you linked me too, but I've read in a fair few places that Samsung had a fair amount of issues with there gps chip and the assisted gps, but I'm not sure if it was the hardware or the software that we're causing the problems tbh.

But I will have a look on evil bay at the phones you mention.

I'm starting to think there may not be a lot of difference in price between a stand alone gps and a decent phone.

Just for info what apps do you use?

Cheers

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
I've never had an issue with GPS on any of my Sammy phones. However I rarely used the original rom (OS) as I was just flashing custom roms like stock Android or Cyanogenmod and using them instead of the Android+Sammy stuff.

I dont do a lot of navigation but tend to use Google Maps or MapsWithMe. I've also tried others while out and never really had a problem with getting a GPS fix. However there are apps in Play Store that also improve GPS and increase speed of getting a fix etc.

I've considered getting a standalone but honestly dont see the point as my phone will do exactly same, have better screen and can also store offline maps.

With regards to battery life, Whenever I am away I always have 2 charged up batteries along with a USB power bank so have ample power.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
You've hit the nAil on the head there mate! I'm not sure I can justify buying a stand alone unit, plus being able to carry a spare battery and also my power bank makes it a winner.

Like I said earlier, I think it's the earlier samsungs they were talking about, I wish I had seen the date of the post on the forum I was reading.

I didn't no about the apps that improve gps so will have a look.

I've got an old sony expedia mini pro here that's hardly been used, but I'm guessing the age of the android system on it means I can't see a lot in the market place. I already no I can't find the view ranger app that's why I'm looking to buy another.

Cheers

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yeah ideally it would be the best, but tbh I'm hoping I can pick up a android phone for half of that!!

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I hear what you're saying. I use my iPhone 4S to log my runs and it works fine for that. When hill walking I'd rather rely on a dedicated gps unit than a smart phone. Was out with a mate recently and very impressed with the satmap gps unit.

Of course it goes without saying that a gps doesn't replace good map and compass skills 😄

Keep an eye on eBay I say

Orric.

Last edited:

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
When hill walking I'd rather rely on a dedicated gps unit than a smart phone.

That's the thing though, A real smart phone can be a better dedicated GPS unit. It has the same hardware and more and is a lot more versatile when it comes to maps and software. For example on solely GPS units you can usually only use the makers propriety/licensed software and maps and pay for them extra in some cases. However on smart phone you can basically use any maps you want and any software you want.

The battery may be better on a GPS unit because it doesnt have other things using power, However you can turn off a lot of things on a smart phone in standard settings aswell as via 3rd party apps etc and reduce power usage significantly so I'm finding it hard to justify why a GPS unit would be better in any category?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
That's the thing though, A real smart phone can be a better dedicated GPS unit. It has the same hardware and more and is a lot more versatile when it comes to maps and software. For example on solely GPS units you can usually only use the makers propriety/licensed software and maps and pay for them extra in some cases. However on smart phone you can basically use any maps you want and any software you want.

The battery may be better on a GPS unit because it doesnt have other things using power, However you can turn off a lot of things on a smart phone in standard settings aswell as via 3rd party apps etc and reduce power usage significantly so I'm finding it hard to justify why a GPS unit would be better in any category?

That's exactly my thinking mate!!

neoaliphant

Settler
Aug 24, 2009
Somerset
Yeah ideally it would be the best, but tbh I'm hoping I can pick up a android phone for half of that!!

Moto G is very cost efficent, you need internet access for the assisted part of the gps, i think there may be a way to manually assist

with Note 2, every time ive checked my gps location to known spots its been dead on, to within a few m at most. I have over 360 apps on my note, its versitility much better than standalone imho. the astronomy apps are a hoot.

Navigational app of choice = locus, esp with the ordinance survey maps.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Probably a stupid question, but what is it like outside? In your original post you said reception was cr@p in your house - for GPS it would be. I've never had a problem with any phone with GPS outside. I use software called Back Country navigator on the Android. It downloads maps offline so you can load it up and not need a data signal. Apple will have an equivalent. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 I'll swap for the iPhone if you want an Android!

Snozz

Sent from my mobile.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
I'm running an iphone 5S and an app called Tomstrails. I have verified the latitude and longitude on Itouchmap.com and it is within 8 metres of where I am sitting. Tomstrails says it's 65m accurate. I am sitting in an old stone barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Why not sell the iphone and buy a good android like the S4 if you have flappy birds installed you could proberly buy a new car with the change.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Probably a stupid question, but what is it like outside? In your original post you said reception was cr@p in your house - for GPS it would be. I've never had a problem with any phone with GPS outside. I use software called Back Country navigator on the Android. It downloads maps offline so you can load it up and not need a data signal. Apple will have an equivalent. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 I'll swap for the iPhone if you want an Android!

Snozz

Sent from my mobile.

Thanks for the reply mate, I've tried it my garden, and right next to my house I have a big play park and also in the town centre and couldn't get an accurate fix.

My contract is up in June so I will keep the 4s for now.

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
http://www.technologyreview.com/news/511786/a-shrinking-garmin-navigates-the-smartphone-storm/

Smartphones are hitting the sales of stand alone GPS.

I can vouch from owning or trying :- Galaxy S2, S3 and S4, Galaxy Note 3, HTC HD7 and the humble, old, but still working HTC G1. Outdoors and from a known position they all pin me to within a few metres.

Hi rik, my daughter has the galaxy y, and I can down load view ranger on that, that should give me a decent idea if it works or not.

The phone was only £50 brand new so it may be worth a go with a tesco payg sim.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'm using Giff Gaff which runs on the O2 network and is a good price, the 'goody bag' for £10 per month gives me 500 minutes to any network, 1GB internet and unlimited text messages. I'm a very light user so this if anything is overkill for me but the price is right and at least with O2 the 2g coverage is solid, certainly for where I go and the 3G is getting better all the time.

The Galaxy S4 'Active' is a solid phone, the son in law has one and its waterproof enough for bushcraft needs (that said any phone in a zip lock bag is waterproof enough for bushcraft IMO lol). To make it 'rugged' you loose out on camera mega pixels over the standard S4

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/phones/mobile-phones/samsung-galaxy-s4-active-1160411/review

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I'm running an iphone 5S and an app called Tomstrails. I have verified the latitude and longitude on Itouchmap.com and it is within 8 metres of where I am sitting. Tomstrails says it's 65m accurate. I am sitting in an old stone barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you just downloaded this :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE