Best outdoor lighter ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Being able to make fire while outdoor is a vital skill, and we should carry gear to help us light a fire under the worse of conditions. A lighter is one of the most convenient methods of creating fire.

My question is simple - what's the best lighter for the outdoors?

ANDYLASER

Nomad
Mar 27, 2004
SOUTHAMPTON
I still like my Zippo, its even better now I have got the "long range fuel tank" from Joe at ODS. Its an O ring sealed aluminium canister about 7 x 2 cm. Comes complete with flint holder.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have one of these ....

products_lighters_turbo_silver.jpg

Cost about £5 and go for ages on a fill. They have one of those windproof "jet" type flames, and although i've not done it myself i'm told they get hot enough to do light brazing :shock:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Cheap windproof lighters are the pitts.
I've been through 2 since christmas, neither particualy cheap either.
Either buy a Helios / Brunton, or stick with a zippo.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
my fave was and still is this one...

http://www.bushcraftuk.co.uk/community/viewtopic.php?t=140&highlight=lighter

Cheaper by miles than a brunton, but still top quality. Hasn't failed yet. Doesnt leak, fill it and it stays full untill you use it. Fully waterproof. Light & compact. Only gripe, the fuel tank could be a little larger. But as it's an emergency thing, that's not really an issue.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I just carry a couple of cheap disposable lighters with me when I'm out. In high wind I hold my tinder and light it from inside my billy can and transfer it to my fire.... in heavy rain I put my billy can on its side and do the same thing.

:)
Ed

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I go for Clippers, re-fillable rather than diposeable (I don't agree with disposeable :twisted: ). And if it runs out of gas you remove just the sparky bit and use it to light tinder on its own.
Just that sparky bit makes a good addition to a PSK with some charcloth.
Cheers
Rich

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
products_lighters_turbo_silver.jpg

I've had a number of these one I gave away to a Caleche Driver in Egypt and another was broken by a customs official in the United arab emirates

there good solid lighters but the plastic cap/Chain is pretty naff and always falling off so i remove it

some also start to leak after they have been refilled, but theres no way to know untill you get around to refilling them if this is going to be a problem with yours

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE