Best one Pot meals

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I do this recipe quite often, quick, easy and tasty.

SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE

Ingredients

Instructions

1. In a large pot, heat up oil over medium high heat for a minute. Add chopped onion and cook until slightly translucent. Add minced garlic and cook for one more minute. Add ground beef and brown until cooked through - approximately 5-7 minutes.

2. Add Broth, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste. Stir well and bring to a simmer. Add spaghetti noodles and stir well. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered 9-11 minutes, stirring frequently, until pasta is al dente.
  3. Don't forget the grated cheese of your choice.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Chicken and Cannellini Bean Casserole
4 boneless chicken breasts, skin off
2 courgettes halved and diced
1 onion diced
1 tin of cannellini beans drained
2 tins cherry tomatoes
1tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp chili flakes
150 grms baby leaf spinach
1 tbsp olive oil

Dice the chicken into large chunks and fry for 5 minutes until brown all over
Add the diced onion and fry until starting to go translucent
Add the courgettes and fry for 2 minutes
Add the spices and briefly fry
Add the drained beans and the 2 tins of cherry tomatoes complete with their juices.
Season to taste and bring to the boil then cover and simmer for 15 minutes or the chicken is cooked through
Stir in the spinach and wilt for a few minutes then serve hot with crusty bread

Reactions: crosslandkelly

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Hunter’s chicken
SERVES 4 PREP 15 minutes COOK 1 hour
INGREDIENTS
8 chicken thighs, skinned
2 tbsp plain flour
2 tbsp olive oil
15g unsalted butter
1 whole garlic bulb, unpeeled and cut in half horizontally
2 carrots, chopped
350g chestnut mushrooms, halved or quartered
a few fresh rosemary sprigs
420ml chicken stock
60ml crème fraîche
salt and freshly ground black pepper

METHOD
Dust the chicken lightly with flour. Heat the oil and butter in a large heavy saucepan set over a medium heat. Add the chicken thighs and cook, turning them occasionally, until they are golden brown on all sides.
Add the garlic, carrots and mushrooms to cook for 5 minutes, then add the rosemary and chicken stock. Cover and simmer gently for about 45 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and really tender and the sauce has reduced.
Season to taste with salt and pepper, and squeeze the garlic out of its skin into the sauce. Stir in the crème fraîche.
Spoon the chicken in its sauce on to four serving plates and serve with mashed potatoes.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Moroccan veg and chickpea tagine
INGREDIENTS
red onion 1, chopped
4 garlic cloves, chopped
spray olive oil
ground cumin ½ tsp
ground coriander ½ tsp
ground cinnamon ½ tsp
red pepper 1, seeded and chopped
courgette 1, chopped
aubergine 1, chopped
vine tomatoes 4, chopped. Alternatives 1 tin chopped tomatoes.
chickpeas 400g tin, rinsed and drained
vegetable stock 250ml
harissa paste 2 tbsp
prunes 4, pitted and sliced
flat-leaf parsley chopped to serve
steamed couscous to serve (optional)
OPTIONAL
4 chicken breasts

Method
STEP 1
Fry the onion and garlic in a spray of olive oil for 5 minutes. Add the spices and fry for a minute until fragrant. Add the veg, and fry for 8-10 minutes until they’re coated in the spices and start to take on some colour.
STEP 2
Add the chickpeas, stock, harissa and prunes. Season and simmer for 20 - 25 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Scatter over the parsley and serve with couscous, if you like.

If you want a meat version then 4 chicken breasts diced into 2cm pieces and added in after the onions have softened, cook for 5 minutes then add the spices cook for a minute then add the veg followed by step 2

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Easy one-pot chicken casserole

8 bone-in chicken thighs, skin pulled off and discarded
1 tbsp oil
5 spring onions, sliced
2 tbsp plain flour
2 chicken stock cubes
2 large carrots, cut into batons (no need to peel)
400g new potato, halved if large
200g frozen peas
1 tbsp grainy mustard
Small handful fresh soft herbs, like parsley, chives, dill or tarragon, chopped

Method
Put the kettle on. Fry 8 bone-in chicken thighs in 1 tbsp oil in a casserole dish or wide pan with a lid to quickly brown.
Stir in the whites of 5 spring onions with 2 tbsp plain flour and 2 chicken stock cubes until the flour disappears, then gradually stir in 750ml hot water from the kettle.
Throw in 2 large carrots, in batons and 400g new potatoes, bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for 20 mins.
Take off the lid and simmer for 15 mins more, then throw in 200g peas for another 5 mins.
Season, stir in 1 tbsp grainy mustard, the green spring onion bits, a small handful of fresh soft herbs and some seasoning.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Now we're getting somewhere :)

Though, TBH Steve, if you used my Harissa I don't think many people would manage 2 tbsp :)
Challenge accepted.:lmao::lmao:

I use harissa paste from Tescos and yeah, that's mild for my taste but the missus doesn't go fo anything much over a medium heat so I have to add my heat afterwards if I want extra spicy :/

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Where are we? Base camp? Overnight field camp? How many am I expected to feed?
Two of us. Log cabin on NIPEW, a lake-like expansion of the Churchill River. Off grid travel by water or float plane only. Evening meal was always a BIG pasta load. Fatty meat was essential. We finished off 25 pounds of macaroni and 25 pounds of spaghetti. We had slab bacon. Most other meaty stuff was shot during the week with no ice or refrigeration. Took me 25 years before I could make split pea soup and enjoy it again.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Thanks all for your great ideas and recipes and the PDF, good job on getting that up, look slick there's some good stuff in there.

Often the simple stuff is so tasty, I particularly like a soup and then rice in it (often the precooked rice I admit) it's all thick and warm and filling.

Even year I think that I need to get the dutch oven out and do more cooking in it and never do, maybe a dutch over cooking day at the moot..Umm...

Wander

Native
Jan 6, 2017
Here There & Everywhere
A simple chicken noodle soup:
  • pack of chicken instant noodles
  • chopped spring onions
  • cabbage or lettuce leaves
  • foraged greens (nettles, ramsons etc)
  • pre-cooked chicken pieces
  • chilli flakes if you want a bit of spice
Make the noodles as per the pack, with just a little bit extra water. At the end chuck all the other bits in to cook and warm through.
Then sit back and enjoy with a piece of crusty buttered bread (ideally some bannock/damper).
Makes enough for 2, or a hearty meal for 1.

Reactions: Robson Valley

Athos

Mar 12, 2021
East Sussex
For me, it has to be chilli. This jailhouse chilli recipe is the best one I’ve found. I modify it like this:
I like to add 100g of dark chocolate and a mix of red and green chillies instead of jalapeños. Swap out the garlic salt for 2 table spoons of Cajun seasoning. I chop and crush the garlic, using a whole bulb rather than 6 cloves.

To do it in one pot, seal the meat just after you’ve sautéed the onion and garlic. Then add all the liquids/tomatoes and stir in the spices last. Then leave it to cook low and slow for a few hours.

Original recipe from Kenny’s Cajun Creole cookbook. I’d recommend buying it if you like American southern cooking.

0206024E-3430-4867-97EF-086CC0E0F22F.jpeg

Reactions: gibson 175

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
My Mums bacon casserole. Really need an "oven style" heat.

2 large onions, sliced thinly
2 packs of fav back bacon or more to taste
Kilo (depending on your oven size) peeled (or not) waxy potatos, sliced thinly
1 Block (or more to taste) of strong cheddar cheese, sliced thinly
Cup of water (approx 250ml)

Very easy to build , you can add some oil to help with sticking.
Layer onion first as the rest tends to stick but that can be a good thing :)

After that layer:
Potato
Onion
Bacon
Chesse
repeat

Until you cant fit anymore in. It will sink a bit after cooking.
Usually goes in a fan oven around 170 c (equivalent fire and coal dutch oven temps needed)
so not too hot as you want to cook for 1 and a half hours or until potatos cooked and soft.
You can add water if it start to dry out, with practice its an art to get the slow cook just right so all the flavours blend together.

Reactions: TeeDee

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Spanish Omlette or Frittata (not quite one pot but same pot)

Nice extra virgin olive oil
Kilo or pot size Potatos peeled Sliced
2 cloves garlic sliced (or more)
2 large onions sliced
3 bell peppers sliced
1 large red chilli pepper, sliced (not too hot)
chorizo ring (or 2) sliced thin
6 large eggs beaten in a bowl

Par boil sliced potatos (boil for 10 mins or so) and put aside. doesn't matter if they cool down.
heat pan and add a good glug of olive oil.
Add onion, chorizo, chilli, and peppers. cook till soft. Add the garlic at the end for a minute or 2 and try not to burn it.
Add potatos and another good glug of olive oil. Mix very well. Don't worry about potatos mashing up too much.

Add the beaten eggs to the mix and mix well again.
The heat needs to be quite gentle because the eggs will set quite quickly and burn if too hot. this should take about 15-20 mins. the potatos need to finish cooking too so its a bit of a balance.
Usually I would turn the frittata or put the pan in the oven to set the top,but with a dutchy probably enough heat from coals on the lid to set the mixture on top.

The potatos absorb a lot of the oil and flavour from the other ingredients so you do need a good amount for this to happen.

Can be eaten hot or cold and is surprisingly filling :)

tip for prepping peppers by gordon ramsay, you dont have to drink 3 pints of espresso to bounce around quite as much as gordon, but its a good tip with not much faff.

Last edited:

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
If you've got the time to cook for a long time (eg a fire going), a chicken casserole is very simple and can be varied to suit the ingredients to hand. Brown off the chicken (eg two legs for two ppl), take it out, add onions or leeks for a few minutes. Remove from heat, add a bit of liquid and scrape off the yummy bits from the bottom into the liquid. Add veg and potatoes, herbs, spices and some stock. Mix, add enough liquid to not quite cover the food, place chicken on top and cook on low heat with a lid until done (or longer for fuller flavour). You want it bubbling away very gently.

Sometimes I substitute wine for part of the water, sometimes I use chopped tomatoes. It's very forgiving!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Six of us (3 adults and 3 big teens) on a Canada Goose hunting trip, first night in camp, expected to be there 3-4 nights. Big tents and tarps and a big but low camp fire (keyhole fire). Regular site, used many times.
I precooked 3kg mince with seasonings for tacos at home. One pot in camp for about 1/3 of it at a time. Shells to roast over the fire. Dice tomato, shredded lettuce and shredded cheeses. Reheat the meat. Warm the shells.

This was a 4x4 vehicle camp. My mistake was in not bringing a 25 kg sack of potatoes and a 3 liter can of olive oil. I could always haul the rest home.

Banged a whole bunch of ducks and geese. I brought a quart of 2 yr old plum sauce. Fire roasted like a thousand years ago.
We ran out of potatoes and bacon. Emergency but 60 miles from a store.

Breakfast? Geese. Nobody talks. Cold cereal with milk. Single file to the first shoot. Jeez! Not even coffee. But, we spent a long time dressing birds.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Paella (a fairly authentic one)

Serves 4 generously

500g rabbit, squirrel or chicken
1 large onion, chopped
1 red pepper cut into 3cm squares or strips
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
350g good rice, washed and drained
750ml water
Fresh herbs (rosemary, thyme, marjoram …)
1 tsp turmeric
Available shellfish (prawns, mussels, squid … whatever’s available or foraged)

Heat olive oil in the Dutch oven
Fry the seasoned meat for a few minutes
Add the onion, red pepper and garlic and fry till coloured
Add the rice and stir well adding a little more oil to ensure it is all coated
Add the squid
Season
Cook very gently for 20 minutes without disturbing
Remove the lid and add the prawns and mussels
Cook for a further 10 minutes

Serve with fresh crusty bread

Last edited:

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
These recipes are awesome! I don't really cook ingredients into a meal when I'm out, as I'm generally hiking rather than camping, if you get my meaning? If I do actually cook a meal, it's the biggest ribeye I can find, sprinkled with salt and pepper. Nothing else required! .

I'm sort of with @Erbswurst here. My meals consist of oats for breakfast, cheese, cured meats and crackers for lunch, chocolate and nuts for snacks, with an easy filling meal for dinner. I am a massive fan of instant mash, chorizo and cheese, all thrown in one pot! (So I guess that does fit as a 'onepotmeal' @Tony

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE