Best Mossie Repelant for Jungle trip

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 3, 2016
Buckinghamshire
Interesting about Avon SSS. Never come across that, I still have an un-opened bottle I purchased back in 2014. You say they refused to test your McMidge repel & Bug Oil... So tell me what is your product you allude to...?

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Avon SSS doesn't work at all as a repellant, it got it's reputation in the way that the midgies drown in it on your skin, it doesn't do jack skat against mossies, blackfly, horsefly, deerfly, ticks etc

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Deet and more Deet. In my experience of testing various so called mozi repellents the only one that works is high concentrations of Deet. Wear appropriate clothing and adjust your behaviour to minimise being bitten.

Insect bourne diseases are no joke. Celebral malaria, Dengue, and Zika to mention a few. Take your meds apply your repellant liberally and enjoy a wonderful experience.
plus 1, 95 to 100% deet. Also a good tip is vitamin B, buy some and make sure your levels are up. Mozzies hate it, trust me

Tim_B

Dec 8, 2013
Ipswich
I used to use the "jungle formula", which worked ok, however since switching to Stupidly Simple items I am seeing better results. Bug Oil and the midge repellent. Last time I used it was in South West India for a week and didn't get bitten once, very happy with that.

Thanks
Tim B

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Going out on Sunday. Funny, i had my Yellow Fever Injections a couple of weeks ago and the nurse recommended i only use 50% Deet as 100% Deet is a waste of money. I asked her how many times she had been in the jungle.....................and went and bought some 100% Deet! ;) Thanks for all the recommendations people, i'll let you know how it goes!

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Going out on Sunday. Funny, i had my Yellow Fever Injections a couple of weeks ago and the nurse recommended i only use 50% Deet as 100% Deet is a waste of money. I asked her how many times she had been in the jungle.....................and went and bought some 100% Deet! ;) Thanks for all the recommendations people, i'll let you know how it goes!

Send me a pm and I will send you a sample of ours for free

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
I work as a gardener, & yesterday, I was bit to buggery by some small black & white flies, the bites are swollen approx. 20mm circles & itch rather a lot !.

Rob

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Back safe and sound. Used DEET as it was cheap and plentiful and, as suggested on this thread, made sure i was hopped up on Vitamin B supplements. Interesting to note that the camera crew and sound crew who were mostly experienced in working in such environments were slapping on Avon Skin So Soft and swear by it. Apparently they some did a job on a programme about Heli-Loggers in North America and Canada and all these Lumberjacks use it as a matter of course. So little tips and a bit of education results in a well informed bunny. Thanks for all your help and advice people, very much appreciated.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
I used to use the "jungle formula", which worked ok, however since switching to Stupidly Simple items I am seeing better results. Bug Oil and the midge repellent. Last time I used it was in South West India for a week and didn't get bitten once, very happy with that.

Thanks
Tim B
I have just recently purchased the stupidly simple bug oil and I have to say it's brilliant! A whole day in the bush and not one bug bit me or the kids!
Awesome product and very modest price for the quality.
Peace of mind using it on the kids , knowing it's all made with natural ingredients.
Thanks Woodstock and Xylaria for suggesting and providing!
:)

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
Another thumbs up for Deet, last January I had a poke around the jungles of Costa Rica, Panama and Colombia and not one bite :) take into account high humidity and sweating it off, take plenty and apply regularly glad you had a great trip.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2015
United States
I like Stupidly Simple Midge repellent and sometimes Wilmas Beck-Olja. SSBO seems good, but doesn't seem to last as long.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Interesting consumer report regarding the Avon product. Not so favourable
http://www.consumerreports.org/insect-repellents/avon-skin-so-soft-review-bug-spray/

Then this one which put the Avon stuff well above placebo and a home cooked mix.
http://www.bcmj.org/article/mosquit...lled-trial-comparing-95-deet-avon-skin-so-sof

It is worth noting that some of the testing differentiates between effectiveness on different species of mosquito and it stands to reason that effect for midge/mossi/tick/blackfly may differ depending on location.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE