Best knife you have owned

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rickyd

Tenderfoot
Sep 15, 2016
Warwickshire
trying to get a feel here to see what most guys like, what’s the best knife you have had? And steel and grind and size
Regards

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Interesting question, and not easy to answer.
The ones I'm most proud to own are:
  • Wilkinson Sword Woodlore, which is a great knife, but doesn't get used much because it has become to valuable to risk loosing and can't be replaced.
  • Helle Eggen which holds an edge so well, is nice and light and comfortable in the hand. The downside is t only throws feeble sparks from a fero rod.
The ones I actually grab to use the most are bog standard Mora Clippers, Mora Companion HD, Hultafors - both the little orange handled ones and the green HD. All pretty cheap and easily replaced

For a serious carving session Mora 106 and 120 sloyd knives.

General day to day carry and use is almost always a Victorinox of some sort, depending on my mood.

Dave

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
Opinel No8 for years, I have a new favourite its an 'Antonini' big bear with a lupo clasp, paid £20 its a nice knife, holds an edge, easy clean, easy use and safe, nice materials used, check them out, little old school but then again I am getting on myself! ;-)

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
I forgot to say, I have a Stuart Mitchell in the desk drawer, a Bernie Garland in the shed and a Stuart barker most kindly annealed and reground by Mark(HillBill) and used in the kitchen, and I still prefer the Opinel! best six quid you will spend, get the carbon version for a good shower of sparks off your ferro.

Jackroadkill

Forager
Nov 21, 2016
Newtown, Powys
Hmmm, tough one. I love an Opinel too, and a carbon Opinel at that. I've got lots of them, and if I'm ever recommending a good penknife to someoen who hasn't used one before that's where I start. I have a TBS Boar that I bought recently and I'm coming to rally like that, although I've not been massively impressed with the sparks it throws from a ferro rod. I think my favourite sheath knives, though, are probably my old, beaten-to-crap Martinii and my Enzo Trapper with custom scales.

That said, I have lots of other knives that I like - a Claude Dozorme Capucin, an HH edition Liong Mah #5, a Kershaw Reverb.... The list goes on.

Jul 24, 2017
somerset
Quarter master "Barney Mcgrew" s35vn, titanium,G10 great EDC!, mora garberg is rather good, best is the ones I make, not that I'm some kind of cutlery god its just they are crafted to my want's and the best of those is the one I'm yet to make :D

Last edited:

KenThis

Jun 14, 2016
Cardiff
Hard to decide on 'Best' as it depends on different things.
But sheath knife that I find 'best' to use for 'bushcraft' is my Terava Jääkäripuukko.
It's like a more comfortable and more robust Mora clipper/companion.

My Skrama puts the biggest smile on my face.
My Viper DAN 2 is the most tactile/fun to play with.
My TBS Boar Folder is great for EDC
Yet I feel almost naked without a SAK in my pocket...

Reactions: ScottE

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
I equate "best" with "most useful" which is not quite "favourite".

Favourite is the William Rodgers Bushman's Friend that my wife bought me in 1965. It is Sheffield carbon steel, takes and holds a superb edge and has been a content companion on many adventures and has seen a lot of use in the field. However, it is a hunting knife rather than a bushcraft knife. It has been honourably retired.

In my travel pack now is probably the best all-round knife I have owned. It is a Brusletto 80 high carbon stainless which I got in a blind swap on our site. It is small, sharp and discreet: if it was legal, it would be my EDC.

Best as in most useful is my camper model SAK. I can't recall a day when I haven't used at least one of its blades even though they are inferior substitutes for the real thing. The thing is that they are there just when I need them.

With the SAK in my pocket and the Brusletto in my pack I feel I have the best cutting equipment for my needs.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As a user - and it took years to work out what I really wanted, having tried LOTS of knives - it turns out it is an old Cold Steel SRK cut down to 4" long, reshaped to a drop point and reground to a very high sabre (almost full flat) rehandled in Oak and reclothed in a leather sheath...
or you could say a high Vanadium steel custom knife :)
Mora No1 and No2 knives are what I use to make most of my knives from...

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Will have to come back to you regarding a fixed blade but best folder is simples:
e9xwCmm.jpg

NXQYNRy.jpg

K

chimpy leon

Jul 29, 2013
staffordshire
My Terava Jakipukko 140 is fast becoming a favourite. It Just seems to shrug off everything I throw at it. The heat treat of the 80CrV2 is perfect for the utility of the knife, no chips or rolls which is quite something considering the stick it gets, and barely anything in the way of corrosion as well.
The leather sheath is excellent too.

I carry my SAK farmer everyday. I've tried other, vastly more expensive EDC's but always end up coming back to my beaten up farmer.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE