Best Firestarting Tool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Besides matches and lighters, what do you think is the most reliable fire starting tool under wet, windy conditions (and only tinder such as you may find in the forest)?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Somebody who can perform a firebreathing act! Fotunately, there is such a member on the forums!:D

Failing that, it's got to be birch bark as it will light whilst wet. I've lit birch bark in the rain with a ferro rod many a time. Best fire lighter there is.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
pffft!

The most reliable after lighter and matches is probably chemical (pile some potassium permanganate then add glycerine) as this will flare up like a son of a something or other with big purple flames and ignite any tinder you fancy.

After this... probably firesteel although as per the original question, it's performance in windy conditions needs a lot of management.

Cheers,

Joe

p.s. Bam - you cheeky badge loving stump grinder!! :lmao:

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Last autumn I had a night in the woods and it was certainly wet. Actually friction fire was not impossible, but the tinder was tricky as there was almost nothing not actually wet. I did resort to a match and a candle in the end as I wanted my supper.

I recently used some of that Alcohol spray on hand cleaner to help light a fire was very very wet but it got it going , Birch bark has to be the best , but I usually carry some kind of dry tinder and Meths :) good to have if you need it , sod tradition when i am cold and wet

RobertRogers

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 12, 2006
USA
Thank you all for your answers. This is good information.

Out of the wind, a candle would certainly help as you can put the wet tinder over it for awhile until it eventually drys and lights.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE