Best Cure for A Broken Heart?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

quietone

May 29, 2011
Wales
Someone already mentioned time. That's it, nothing else makes a difference, at least for me anyway. All other distractions are temporary, and the dwelling on matters will subside only with time. Nature, of course is the best distraction we have.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
17 years for me also. took a few months and some soul searching but you get there.

I wont go into detail on my own separation, but i found getting the head down at work, staying clear of alcohol and getting back into things i did before i got married, (guitar and hill walking) helped. Read a lot, and started to go catch a band at the weekends. I also spent more time with my kids after we split than i did when we were together.

I also reflected on where it all went wrong. To be honest i'm surprised it lasted as long as it did. in fact, we should never have got married in the first place. Regrets...na, none. That's Life.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Chiseller, the last thing I think he needs at the moment I seeing someone happy in love :p .... nice cake though :cool:

I have been there too many times to remember. Time and keeping your mind occupied is my only advice. Go places you have always wanted to go.

I hope its not too complicated and drawn out for you. Take care.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
More than 20 years ago. Took maybe 3-4 years to settle into my own skin (good friends predicted that.)
The harder that I looked for companionship, the harder it was to find (good friends predicted that.)
Get buried in work is a life threatening reaction.

Best for me was to get busy with some long neglected activities.
Don't just sit on it, get moving. The direction isn't important. Get moving.

Then the unexpected, accidental, unplanned introduction just sort of happened.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Think of how much freedom you will enjoy on your own.

Tengu, who being a Tengu is much the solitary kind of bird.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Cliche but time is a great healer I suppose. If I need to clear my head I always go fishing. Find it oddly soothing. Sorry to hear you're down mate

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Maybe this will lighten your mood. I'll share part of my break up story.

I had been split from the ex for 6 weeks. my youngest broke the pedal off his trike so i had the job of re-threading the pedal then refitting it. I walked into my old house admiring a cracking Suzuki Hyabusa parked in front of the house as i drove up.
I went into the kitchen where the trike was while my ex stood at the living room door. i needed some spanners and asked the ex if she could go to the shed and get me my tools. she was looking kinda on edge and told me to get them myself whilst still guarding the door....I still never twigged.
I got the tools, fixed the trike and on my way out i thought i would pop into the livingroom to say goodbye to my kids. Surprise surprise there's a guy sitting in MY seat. MY Seat... Kinda stunned and at a serious loss for words i just introduced myself as her husband, shook his hand and walked out.

Roll on a few months later i met the ex's new guys ex in a nightclub. Back to her place. :cool:

Lets just say my ex and her new man didn't like my style to the point i was getting phone calls to say i was only doing it to get back at them. Hey, all's fair in love and war right?.. :lmao:

I was partners with my ex's new mans ex for 2 and a half years. we broke up but on good terms.

i'm on my own now and loving every minute of it. in the future, if i need a companion, i'll get a goldfish. :)

Last edited:

Anzia

Nomad
Sep 25, 2012
Derbyshire
Really sorry TeeDee, and I hope you heal from this quicker than you're expecting. You're definitely not alone as you can see from this thread. My partner of 16 years just walked out, no notice, before Christmas last year to be with someone I later found out he'd been seeing behind my back for 3 years. He married her two weeks ago.
Time really does ease what you're feeling. I also agree with the other suggestions about making yourself see your friends, whether that's for a big group night out or just a quieter catch up one at a time. Maybe change something around the house to make it your own and remove some of the painful memories. I've been running again and also trying random things like a bat walk (was very cool), astronomy with some old binoculars I have, and in summer taking picnics out with the dogs, that kind of thing. It's all helped a lot and while I'm not wanting to date again for the foreseeable future, I do feel a lot happier and like I know who I am now.
Good luck. Have a big virtual hug (((TeeDee))) :)

Wacker

Sep 4, 2015
East Yorkshire
It's been said loads already but time is all you need. Don't be afraid to feel unhappy for the time being, you're dealing with a lot of emotional stress and it's not easy. Keep busy and keep friends and family close and don't bottle any emotions up! I love a good cry when I need one!... you'll be a better man by the time you've healed.

All the best,

W

[edit: I was right in the 1st place haha]

Last edited:

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
It's been said loads already but time is all you need. Don't be afraid to feel unhappy for the time being, you're dealing with a lot of emotional stress and it's not easy. Keep busy and keep friends and family close and don't bottle any emotions up! I love a good cry when I need one!... you'll be a better woman by the time you've healed.

All the best,

W
ftfy
We all make assumptions

Hope things improve for you, teedee, I do think the companionship of a good dog (or cat) is helpful.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
ftfy
We all make assumptions

Hope things improve for you, teedee, I do think the companionship of a good dog (or cat) is helpful.

Interesting assumptions all around - I am a bloke. Not that it should matter , heart is a heart , plaything of the Gods.

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Ah - well - you see I went by the 'Super Shelter' thread, where you posted a vid of a young lady building a shelter and asked what people thought. Your post made it sound like you were the person who had built the shelter.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE