Best Cure for A Broken Heart?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Without going into detail, when my ex was told by my surgeon I was not likely to regain my lost memories, she believed him... got the shock of her life when he turned out to be wrong and I realised what she'd done.

I had to leave. That unfortunately led to 7 years of my son being used as a hook. She then died without giving him any explanations and leaving the parting gift of hand written notes and a web of lies with her friends.

Its led to one almighty mess... one that may never be entirely resolved.

My point is some situations are just too complicated, too involved and every individual will be faced with challenges when a relationship breaks down. Only the individuals involved know what has happened, what led up to the break up and the separation process can become a mine field unless those involved think about the consequences right from the start.

Saying that, your advice is sound Lizz and as I say, I wish I'd had that advice a decade ago. It may have removed a layer of complication if I'd worked out a way to be less... shall we say tolerant... of a person who's driving force was money, not the happiness of the people around her.

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
You have my heartfelt sympathy. Every relationship is complex and sometimes even more complex than those involved in it can even understand. We are all such a pottage of things from our own pasts. And I feel for your loss. A kind of loss of innocence and love and trust as well as of the relationships.

Sometimes all we can do is make like we are managing and keep going. And sometimes the imitation of coping becomes the real thing. I wish you courage.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Well , I'm half a bottle of southern comfort down and still trying to figure out what to do.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
You have my heartfelt sympathy. Every relationship is complex and sometimes even more complex than those involved in it can even understand. We are all such a pottage of things from our own pasts. And I feel for your loss. A kind of loss of innocence and love and trust as well as of the relationships.

Sometimes all we can do is make like we are managing and keep going. And sometimes the imitation of coping becomes the real thing. I wish you courage.

Thank you Lizz... we're okay, my lad and me... especially now we go out camping together. Its weird, but being in the woods making a brew together we can talk and not get stressed, which is brilliant.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Well , I'm half a bottle of southern comfort down and still trying to figure out what to do.

Not sure what to suggest TD... you have to do what you have to do. Can only presume you want happiness for all involved, so the shortest route to that.

Have you had any luck with finding some digs?

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
just had a quick scan of this and lovely to see the support and also the similar stories laid out so honestly by y'all....

you'll be good dude, chin up and all that....get to the woods!! autumn is so beautiful, just ensure you have the eyes to see it....have another hug!

regards

sonni

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Not sure if the male heart heals the same way as the female. But having been dumped by more than one girlfriend, I have explored a selection of things that don't help...

Chocolate... (comfort eating in general), It's nice at the time, and it helps initially, but you end up paying for it later. Germans have a word for the weight you put on comfort eating - Kummerspek - literally "Grief bacon". I'm still trying to shift the 20+kg of kummerspek I gained 3 ex girlfriends ago :(

Alcohol ... just don't.

Currently I am testing the hypothesis that the best cure for a broken heart is the company and support good friends.

Hope you feel better soon.

J

honisoitquimalypense

Sep 14, 2015
oxford
As per the title really , any suggestions?

lizz has posted a really well thought out reply giving sound advice. as for cure. busy. busy. busy. be with friends. you may well find who really are and not. you may find some new ones. get out be active. hug friends. if you need or want to get out for the day stuff something on here. no internet bollox yeah yeah but if you wanna go out do something i ll meet you though not f ing inverness! have a wander. swear at the moon. drink vodka. u might teach me to carve a spoon. someone might teach you something but get busy. thats my cure. good luck. stay safe david and as previous mr quixote company and support

Last edited:

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
To everyone that has read , considered , thought and replied to this thread after drawing upon their own experiences and memories ( painful from both sides ) - I thank You.

I'm still working my way through all of what has been said here , sometimes more often than not I have to read , re-read and read again something to understand it and be apply to process and apply it.

So if I haven't replied to your individual advice or comments I apologise and assure you everything has been read , contemplated and digested , I really do appreciate the open and frank nature of those contributing.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hello my friend, I've just read the whole lot - tough territory for you and for many on the forum too. So, some suggestions from a female who has been the leaver and the left.

Firstly if you're the one doing the leaving, do the leaving. By this I mean once you've said it is over accept you are no longer responsible for helping her be ok about being left. It is incredibly hard to process someone saying they don't want to be with you and then having them check how you are every few days. It maintains a link which actually no longer exists.

So previous to this I left the House some 8/9 Months ago as a separation , In honesty I returned far too fast after only two months for various reasons , I should have given myself far longer to understand , heal and KNOW what I wanted. I didn't, I returned and part of me never came back. I guess the last 7 months have been me trying to fake it , hiding my hollowness and evaluating the relationship once back inside it. Asking myself if I was truly happy (?) - That was an incredibly hard question for me to answer , I don't want to go to far into it but I had a messed up childhood which has laid the framework I feel for a messed up adult. You wouldn't be able to tell that if you met me because I've been really good at wearing a mask for many years. So I've been out of touch with my emotions and feelings for many many years , just trying to do what I guess I assumed a guy was supposed to do - provide a family home and provision for the future - my fun was not a variable in that equation. My fault.

So the relationship I would say , was functioning but no longer fun - It felt/feels more like Brother and Sister.

My husband managed to be friends with his former partner for several years after they split. He made her feel good about herself when she had behaved rather badly, I think it helped her but it had horrible consequences for him. Your ex partner may work very hard to ensure you feel ok about leaving when really she should spend time on herself. It might make you feel better, but at the moment that's not her job (I don't know if it was when you were together or not) and even though you may not mean to make it her job, it just does.

I feel we both want the other to be genuinely happy. We spoke last night and that happiness subject came up , she has been aware I've felt 'Hollow',
in many ways for years she wants me to be happy and I feel I can't make her happy when I feel something is missing from me.

My view is I'd rather we were both happy , whilst hers is she can only currently accept the concept of being happy togther.

She wants me to try anti-depressants to see if that helps, which I loathe the idea of ( rightly ? wrongly ? ) , she feels my hollowness is something unrelated to the relationship , ( work frustrations , no children , lack of friends ) whilst I feel/fear it may just be the relationship. And I feel I won't know that until I have perspective and distance on the relationship - and that to me means leaving it.

For you, to make a clean break might mean you feel a bit worse about yourself as you're not there to help make it right, but you can't make it right, horrible though that is, especially if you have been good at making things right in the relationship. It's a terrible thing but there are no heroes in a separation.

Feeling pretty low. Lower than low if I'm honest. However 8 months ago when due to recognising the feelings and thoughts that were coming to the fore ( before we separated the 1st time ) I was in a really, really cold and dark place internally , I was driving around trying to find the 'perfect' tree to RTA myself into , because I felt I had failed the relationship , that I was guilty and shameful.

For you to come out ok means leaving, for her to come out ok means you leaving too, not half leaving. There's a complicated psychological explanation that involves the receipt and sending of mixed signals in this situation, because I can well imagine that it is horrible for you too. You don't want to be the bad guy I imagine, and the leaver is often cast in that role. Well, it's not true. The leaver isn't bad, they are just the leaver.

So she wants me to consider a 2nd separation rather than ending it. In my mind I am divided , she adores me. I can't return the love but I care for her deeply. I feel I am flawed. That a 2nd separation whilst giving me space may just prolong it for her. She may stabilise in tha time or not , but I can't see a future of constant separations making it work.

I want to feel like I have tried however , so yes maybe I am trying as you say to give myself 'permission to leave' , maybe allow her to see that is the best course for her as well.

The last time I was broken up with I desperately wanted him to come back and be back. But when he did, just to check up on me, he left all over again each time. That was bad. In the end I realised that it met some need of his for me to say it was ok for him to leave. He needed permission at some level. I recognised this but was in no position to give it. If this is part of what's going on, I very much regret you have to give yourself permission.

Last time I was a breaker up I read up quite a lot about it. The best visual I have is a piece of bluetac - stay with me, I'll get to the point quickly. Imagine a piece of blue tac. You know quite warm and sticky. To break it in two you can go two ways, one you stretch and stretch slowly until it gets thinner and thinner and gradually breaks leaving at sticky mess and trail and hanging bits. The other way you snap it in two. It's a bit brutal and sharp and the bits don't always come away cleanly but it's done. You could go either way, snap it, which I know is tough for both parties, or go for sticky and protracted, which is also tough for both parties.

So, I guess what I'm asking is, do you need permission? Do you feel like you have to be the one to sort it? (You may have been the sorter in the relationship) are you the one who makes things ok? And if you answer yes, to any of these, do you have a sense of what might help you feel like you should be responsible only for the things that are to do with you and not for how your ex partner feels or recovers? Because I really believe you are not responsible for her ongoingly, she has to be free too.

Yes I feel I need permission. I feel massive concern and empathy , I know I should focus more upon myself ( considering my darker thoughts ) but I can't help the way I am made , I feel a need for atonement and penance.

This is her 2nd Marriage and My 1st - a little age difference between us. Married 16 years.

If any of this comes across abruptly, that's absolutely not my intention. I have a feeling that there is a lot of chivalry amongst bushcraft men who in general hate the thought of upsetting the women in their lives and who would do anything rather than that. So I really feel for you. And even if you're not the chivalrous type, more the caring empathic bloke, I know this is really horrible for you, but you can't heal someone else's hurt especially if you caused it, that can just be a bit of self ego stroking masquerading as care. sometimes a short burst of hurt prevents a whole world of hurt later.

I don't know about bushcrafty blokes , or indeed other blokes , all I know is the vague framework of what I am. I have certain core beliefs and values which I know are in conflict with eachother but I also know I'm caring , empathic but also Hollow and empty in many ways.
If I could turn the table , be the one being left rather than the one leaving and doing the hurting I would do it in a heartbeat.

I'm writing all this because it's tough to know that leaving really means leaving. And that's kinder in the long term.

Last edited:

Lizz

Absolute optimist
May 29, 2015
Cardiff
Dear Tee Dee, my friend, your final sentence is full of sense and compassion. If it was the other way round, if only it was. i don't think you can make it ok for her. You can only make it ok for you. It doesn't sound like it is, or has been for a considerable time.

i think you might benefit from some counselling support, though I hope the love that's been sent in your direction through the forum is upholding you. From the things you say (I can't do the cut and paste thing) You are already atoning and doing penance. What would it take for you to feel like you have atoned? Living in this hollow place? Going back and being miserable? Being honest with your own self, perhaps not liking what you see, and acknowledging it, and accepting you for you?

I spent ages thinking of myself as a bad abandoner. But I wasn't. I was just someone who in misery knew the best thing all round was to go. It took me three years to work up to it, and another year to do it. And a bit of time to get over it. But if I was still there...

My husband used to be a Samaritan says that one of the things he was trained to ask were two versions of the same question 'in an ideal world where would you be and what would this situation look like in five months, or a year' and what would you do if you could wave a magic wand and it would all be ok - what would that look like?' Rather than offer more advice which is probably only peripherally helpful, though I realise you did actually ask for suggestions, I think that the questions may be more useful.

With much compassion...

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
I refer to the great Crocodile Dundee... talk to your mates!
I find that the problem with talking to friends is that far too often they say what they think I would like to hear. Agreeing with me when really I need a mirror holding up in front of me.

A decent counsellor helps you to look in the mirror. Sometimes what you see is positive, sometimes negative.

As for head trauma; I know a little of what you might have gone through. My dad had a major brain haemorrhage when I was 16. His behaviour and memory were affected for a considerable time.

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
12096446_10200922062971000_284844098921688444_n_zpszrwvbfba.jpg

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
That is the difference between a friend and a mate though... a mate will tell you how it is. I have mates who are brutally honest... it isn't that they don't care, but they don't sugar coat things... mind you, these are the same mates who tried to convince me I owed them money when they discovered I had memory loss. They found it funny... me, not so much.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I can really only advise on the anti-depressants part of your last message Tee Dee. If there is a chance that they will help, take them. It might not solve your relationship issues, but it can and will help to make you feel better in yourself.

You have said you hate the idea of them. So ask ourself this: would you rather feel awful for the two minutes a day where you take the tablet, or for all day?

But see a medical professional for proper advice about them first. Depression, from any cause, should not be glossed over.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Anti Depressants are nothing to be scared of. They were first discovered by accident, in the USA, when, I think they were trying this new drug, prozac out, as a potential travel sickness drug, but the people who did not get the placebos, and took the prozac all reported feeling a little bit better. These people were not mentally ill in anyway. They just felt a little bit more perked up. Anti depressants work for everyone.
Give them a go. Certainly. They will probably try you on prozac, [under a different name here] to se if it works. Most people have to go through 2 or 3 diferent types to find one that works. The change is very subtle.
I take them, not because Im diagnosed depressed, but because my GP tries me on all sorts, to see if anything will help the extreme mental and physical fatigue, [CFD] I sometimes suffer from, which is a side effect to my main disease. No Biggy taking anti depressants, millions upon millions of people are on them.
Thats a proactive way to help yourself.

They may also top you up with a bit of an anti anxiety tablet, like diazepam, or lorazepam. Short term. They do help. You only realise it though, when you come off them, and start to feel terrible.

Last edited:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I don't think Julia would like to be called Mr quixote.
Quite right, It's Miss or Ma'am :p

She wants me to try anti-depressants to see if that helps, which I loathe the idea of ( rightly ? wrongly ? ) , she feels my hollowness is something unrelated to the relationship , ( work frustrations , no children , lack of friends ) whilst I feel/fear it may just be the relationship. And I feel I won't know that until I have perspective and distance on the relationship - and that to me means leaving it.

Anti-depressants come with mixed opinions. Some say "they are a crutch you shouldn't rely on" and the like. Thing is, if you broke your leg, would you accept the use of crutches until it's healed? Then why shouldn't you with Anti depressants? There is a lot of misunderstanding within society about how to deal with mental health, this cartoon illustrates it quite nicely:

What if we treated physical illness like we do Mental Illness
(Note rest of site may not be considered Safe for work, and contains content some may consider educational...)

The same way that you don't just give someone with a broken leg crutches and then leave them to it, (you give them physio as well). You don't just give someone 28 pills and leave them to it. Taking of anti-depressants is one of those things that should be used along side other care, be it a counselling, talking therapy, CBT, or some other therapy.

Continuing to stretch the analogy to it's limit... Just as not all crutches fit all people, not all anti-depressants work for all people. You may find that the first set given to you don't agree with you. I had one set that left me so nauseous there was no time to feel depressed... another lot left me feeling apathetic, I knew my life was going to pot, I just didn't care... Another lot helped me get my head in order, coupled with 16 sessions with a shrink, and helped me get my life back together to an extent. Sure I'm not perfect, the same way that some with a broken leg might walk with a limp for a while, but I'm better than I was, and right now, better than I was is the best I can hope for.

Hope this is of help

J

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE