Best cold weather hat????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrmike

Sep 22, 2010
Hexham, Northumberland
My preference is to carry 2x merino Buffs. 1 as a hat, 1 as a scarf/headover/balaclava. Using both together in proper cold.

I do have an army issue fleece lined gortex cap, but it is usually to warm for use when working

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Picked up a black BART ushanka? for £20.
Great for cold days, although the issue tissue ECW MVP Deputy Dawg hat is just as good.

Recon369

Nov 26, 2011
Western Canada
I wear a cheap ($4.00) double knit watch cap with 40 gr Thinsulate between the knit layers. Keeps my bean warm at -40F of course when its that cold I also add a Military Arctic face mask.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I use a mountain cap from Lowe Alpine, the brim is stiffer than the Berghaus one. Certaintly warm enough for the last few winters up here if it's been particularly bad I've augmented it with a merkalon headover from Penrith survival. On it's own the headover can be used as a balaclava, scarf(of sorts) or rolled up to a be a hat.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I inherited a Peruvian style woolly hat with Thinsulate lining from my late mother. It's in rather feminine colours (lilac & light blue) but jolly warm - keeps my jug ears cosy!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I like the Lowe Alpine Mountain caps. I have two of them....well I did, Himself's nicked the grey one :rolleyes:

Waterproof, windproof, breathable, cover the ears comfortably, all good :)

M

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Wow this is an old thread :eek: back from when we had those couple of bad winters by the looks of it.

but anyway I like to layer up. Merino Buff and a Fjallraven beanie. Chop and change as weather and activity require. I am after something more rain proof though. Despite the general practically of being a baldie, sun and cold are equally annoying. I have saved thousands of pounds in haircuts and shampoo though so I can justify a few hats :p

These new smilies are crap by the way :(

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Recently I have transferred my affections to a Repro WW2 German M43 hat...or a home made sheepskin hat
Windproof%20smock%20combats%20M43%20cap%20home%20made%20shoes.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Windproof%20smock%20combats%20M43%20cap%20home%20made%20shoes.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
home%20made%20sheepskin%20hat.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE