Best camp lantern?

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
I'm looking for a lantern to use around camp.

Ideally a hurricane paraffin version - not a fan of the mega-bright gas lamps!

Something that will give a nice, gentle light for a decent 8-10 hrs without too much fiddling.

10019665.JPG

Anyone bought one recently that they'd recommend? There are a whole bunch on eBay but hard to know which (if any) are any good!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Try your local back street hardware shop - should be able to pick one up for about a fiver.

Alternatively - try a UCO candle lantern, smaller, lighter, no messy fuel to carry & last 9 hours.

Simon

Andy2112

On a new journey
Jan 4, 2007
West Midlands
Just bought a uco candle lantern from Blacks as they are on offer at the moment £12.99 i think. Got to get the candles now.

myotis

Apr 28, 2008
Somerset, UK.
I recently bought one of these after glowing reports on SOTP, and elsewhere, about how much better they were than the cheaper ones you normally see.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....=36112&ssPageName=STORE:PROMOBOX:NEWLIST#LIST

If you search around a bit you can find them in several colours. It is certainly better finished than the cheaper one I used to have, and it is meant to have a better quality wick allowing you to burn it brighter without generating smoke.

I can't fault it, but whether its worth the extra money....

Graham

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks for the suggestions - I'm aiming to make a version of the "milkbottle candle holder" that Wayland showed us at the last Midlands Meet, but I love the romance of a wick lantern over a UCO.

Graham - I've heard good things about the Feuerhand lanterns, might well get myself one, cheers!

N

Northwoods

I recently bought a Dietz hurricane lamp. Excellent quality. Doesn't leak paraffin when turned upside down or knocked over. Doesn't fall apart, even when I dropped it from seven feet up. Pricier than the cheapies but worth it.

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Just ordered a silver Feuerhand - £16 delivered off eBay. :)

The Dietz lanterns look yummy, but are a bit pricey for my pocket at the moment... they will go on the "wish list" for when I win the lottery!

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
I've used coal-oil lamps for years (old term for them) - kerosene or parrafin. They can work well --- within their limitations.

Dietz is a good brand, and has been around for many decades. And there are other good manufacturers as well. But almost all of my coal oil lanters are originals from the early 1900's and late 1800's.

But temper back your expectations on how much light you will get out of them. They do well, but will not give out as much light as any electic, carbide, or white gas lantern. (carbide is actually acetylene gas generated from carbide crystals and water, and white gas is unlead gasoline without addatives) The more you turn up the wick, the more flame you get and the brighter the light. But you also get more SMOKE - which then smudges the inside of the glass chimney and starts to cloud the light. The balance point is having the wick turned up to a point just below that "smoking" point. That's the best/most light you will get. But normal use is still a little below that.

Having that wick turned up too far is one of THE MOST COMMON problems people have when using a kerosene lantern! They try to get MORE light out of it than in normal usage. And then complain about having to clean that oil soot/smudge off of the inside of the glass globe.

The other big problem is that people don't maintain and trim the wick when necessary. The end of that wick does char back over time in use. And that extra charred material interferes with the burning kerosene - making it sputter, smoke, and give off less light. So the end that is too charred needs to be trimmed every so often. This was one of those "common everyday chores" when kerosene lamps were the norm for lighting - just as daily refilling.

You also need to treat the whole lantern carefully. They will stand up to some hard use, but that glass globe can break - far more easily than you might think. And the bottom oil tank can get dented and leak. Plus, that burner assembly for the wick is just a twist-in friction fit on most lanterns. There is no gasket or rubber seal. If you tip the lantern, the kerosene can/will leak out through the burner - and through the wick. Really good/expensive versions will have a cork/rubber gasket to help control any leaks, but they will always leak through that wick if tipped far enough over.

Most of the coal oil lanterns will burn for 6 to 8 hours. But that depends upon how big the tank is, and how far you have turned up the wick. The larger the flame, the faster the oil burns. That's just the "nature of the beast".

Candle lanterns are also great - within their known limitations. That one candle is self-limiting in how it burns. It only gives off soo much light. That's it. Modern parrafin/styrene candles burn for a fair amount of time, but bee's wax candles just tend to burn longer. And smell better. But use caution with any WOOD candle lantern. If the candle tips over, or the wax puddles and builds up too much on the bottom without a metal pan/socket, they can catch fire and burn. Ditto if the whole lantern tips over. I've personally seen 3 that burned, and two that took most of the tent/gear with them. I've also heard or read about a dozen more where a wood candle lantern burned and took the tent and gear with it. I have a wood one I traded for many years ago, but it just sets up on the self waiting to be dusted. But for using, I have 5 tin ones. I still use them carefully, and worry about the candle tipping over and the heat breaking the glass, but cautious use/placement takes care of that.

I hope these humble rambling thoughts help.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
Thanks Mike, I've not owned one of these before so useful to know about trimming the wick periodically.

What's the best way to remove sooting from the globe? Just soft cloth and water, or a bit of washing up liquid as well?

This isn't really going to be used for trekking, it's more for a soft light to hang next to my camp so I can find my way back in the dark (and to make sure certain other drunken bushcrafters don't swandive into my tent ;))... plus the aesthetics of a lantern speak to me more than a tealight / UCO :)

And I'm very much a "no flame in the tent" chap... headtorch or maglite for inside, and flames for outside!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I can get chinese versions at less than two quid, they work just as well. I took mine to the Moot this year, I ran it every night as our camp night light in case of the need for an old mans' tinkle in the middle of the night. We had to turn it off every morning as the fuel tank runs for ever more! I haven't done anything to maintain mine, it is virtually maintenance free.

I will probably grab a shed load for next years moot and sell them at cost, or run a GB for those who will be attending so that they can pick them up. Postage would make a normal GB pointless.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Used to have a hurricane for night fishing trips but I can`t be bothered carrying one for bushy trips these days.

It`s just a headlamp for round the camp and a cyalume hung under the tarp.

Rich

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
always been a stealth camper so nothing particularly bright.

got a homemade tin can mirror lantern that uses cheap household candles, and directs the light where i want it (and as importantly, not where i dont)

that and a led headtorch,

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
What's the best way to remove sooting from the globe? Just soft cloth and water, or a bit of washing up liquid as well?

The best way to clean it is to remove the glass globe from the lantern, and wash it in soap and water. Most any good dish-soap will do, but those specifically sold to clean oil/grease work better. It's a messy job. You will get black oily soot on your hands just getting the globe out of the lantern - and then onto everything else you touch!

For a "quick" cleaning, I just tilt the glass globe out to the side of the lantern like I was going to completely remove it, then wipe the inside with a CLEAN rag or paper towel. But be careful of the edges of that glass globe. They can/do chip, and end up with sharp edges to nick hands/fingers.

Occasionally I will also wipe out the inside of that upper metal dome/vent/top. A lot of soot builds up in there also.

And ... carefully ... raise/lower the whole globe assembly when you raise it to light the lantern. It's way to easy to have it "drop" back down into place. A lot of glass globes get chipped or broken that way.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE