Best bushcraft knife ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I know, i know. It's a waste of a question! Kinda like asking who's Mum is best :-D but what do YOU think is the best bushcraft knife.

Personally, if I'm carrying a fixed it's my Bison Bushcraft. :-D :-D
Folder is probably the Al Mar SERE 2K with an SAK as backup! :)

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i'm still trying to finish off a martini one of the older type but my best
fixed blade is my fallkniven f1 then my mauser's (boker)

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
At the moment I use an old Mora (which is the bottom one in the pic) or the MOD survival knife which is a bit overkill. I have a leatherman supertool too which I think rocks !!

mora.jpg

I have a Bison Bushcraft knife on order, It should be here by April. What do you think of them ??

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
MadDave, I could go on for hours about the Bison Bushcraft. It's a smaller knive when compared to a WS Woodlore but don't let that put you off in the least - it is an excellent knife that I have used and abused! Well designed, well made and a good price.

The sheath is also good, although you might find it tight at first (my firesteel felt like it was welded in) but it does loosen out with use (although it still holds the knife well).

I love mine (I bought two!!!). :-D

One alteration I did was replace the neck loop paracord with a longer bit so I could wear it baldrick style. I find that a lot better.

I'd also suggest you drop Roger an email im march to make sure he's not forgotten you ... mine was a few months late!

But it's an excellent knife that I'm sure you'll love! :-D

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Cheers Adi, I'm looking forward to getting it. I've always thought the WS woodlore was just a tad too big anyhow, looks like I'll be pleasantly suprised with the Bison :biggthump

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I could go on for hours about the Bison Bushcraft.
Could you put up a link for a bison bushcraft, whenever i seach on google, all i get is this murderous looking blade........but im guessing that this is not the one that you are talking about!

Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I went on the website (thanks), but when i tried to download the price lists, an "error report" message would appear.

What is the price of the bison?

Im guessing you'd recomend it?

cheers,
Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
£160 I think ...

Jake Rollnick said:
I went on the website (thanks), but when i tried to download the price lists, an "error report" message would appear.

What is the price of the bison?

Im guessing you'd recomend it?

cheers,
Jake

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
What will it be guys
BISON BUSHCRAFT for £130

or WS MICARTA for £90

..........HELP!!! :-?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I can't comment yet ... I've only got the Bison (but I'm getting a WS woodlore real soon now).

All I can say it that I've used and abused my Bison for quite a while now and can't really fault it. It's tough, takes a good edge that lasts. The knife feels solid and it's versatile. Both on mine came with a great edge and really well finished.

The sheath is also good and solid and holds the knife real well (the firesteel might feel welded into it initially and needs some working in and out (ohhh, matron! :shock: ) to make removal/reinsertion easy. One thing I've done is lengthen the paracord on the neck sheath so I can wear it baldrick style.

For an extra £15 you could get a bison with a micarta handle ... that would give you the best of both worlds.

I'm not really getting a WS to replace the Bison, but to see what the fuss is and perhaps to rotate with ... honestly, the Bison does everything I want and more. I'm just curious and I know if I want I can sell the WS anytime.

Well, that's my tuppence worth ... remember, you get what you pay for!!! :-D :-D :-D :-D
Jake Rollnick said:
What will it be guys
BISON BUSHCRAFT for £130

or WS MICARTA for £90

..........HELP!!! :-?

Cheers,

Jake

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I am currently having a go at making something like the knives linked to above. Bought a lovely (rather expensive) laminated Baudin hand forged blade, a bit of reindeer antler and some rose wood to make a kind of sammi knife variant. Got the knife finished and have shaped the antler for the sheath, just have to decide how best to make the leather part of the sheath with a fire steel holder and whatever other personal touches I can think of. Great fun, and you get a great knife for a fraction of what it would cost to buy made up!

F

FJS90-91

wow... i would love to have the skills to make a knife like those i linked to.. those knifes are REALLY expensive so one would as you say save ALOT if one has the skills. Have u made other knifes before in that class?

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
I've only fitted a shaft of curly birch to a leuku blade before, this really sparked an interest in making knives so I've been reading up on and practising how to go about the more complex actions of layering a shaft with various materials, finishing, oiling and waxing. Of course becoming a member of BritishBlades.com and browsing the forums there fuelled my imagination and gives plenty of tips and pointers. I don't think the finish on my own knife will be up to par with the master craftsmens but its only 2 knives in to what I imagine will be a lifelong hobby! I think that crafts go hand in hand with bushcraft and the more kit I can assemble myself the more I learn and appreciate what I am doing. I also bought some steel blanks off one the BB members and am gonna have a go at creating some of my own full tang knives. We'll see how it goes!

Will post a picture of the saami knife and sheath when done if anyone wants to see

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
larry the spark said:
I've only fitted a shaft of curly birch to a leuku blade before, this really sparked an interest in making knives so I've been reading up on and practising how to go about the more complex actions of layering a shaft with various materials, finishing, oiling and waxing. Of course becoming a member of BritishBlades.com and browsing the forums there fuelled my imagination and gives plenty of tips and pointers. I don't think the finish on my own knife will be up to par with the master craftsmens but its only 2 knives in to what I imagine will be a lifelong hobby! I think that crafts go hand in hand with bushcraft and the more kit I can assemble myself the more I learn and appreciate what I am doing. I also bought some steel blanks off one the BB members and am gonna have a go at creating some of my own full tang knives. We'll see how it goes!

Will post a picture of the saami knife and sheath when done if anyone wants to see

Ha, it's an old saying but true, "congratulations on making your first knife - it certainly wont be your last". :wink:

Addictive innit? :-D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE